RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   TBM 93" Zero ARF Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8116413-tbm-93%22-zero-arf-build.html)

CHAWKJIM 11-09-2008 11:43 PM

RE: TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Thank you , any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to fly in a war bird meet this weekend , and I need to do a lot of test flying. I am also looking for a more detailed cockpit. One that has the stick and is painted I have the stock gauges that look really good however I would like to do a more detail if possible. Thanks for helping. I am going to need all the help I can get to be ready for the weekend.

F-15J_JSDF 11-10-2008 12:46 AM

Bloody hell that was quick, I am impressed. So there was nothing that had to be changed? I read on the site all the time guys building ARF having problems with them and needing to change things to get the together. I have noticed there are a lot of guys on the site that start build and never finish them because of the problems.

If this TBM was so easy then I will inform the guys here when I get mine and let them see how fast it is to build.

What Servos are you using please.

CHAWKJIM さん

Can you make a Video of the maiden flight?

CHAWKJIM 11-10-2008 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finishing up the control rods and setting up the through s. I am not going to do the cockpit until I find the pilot. I should be test flying tomorrow. I will let you know how she fly's. Here is some photos with the canopy on and the cockpit that comes with it. There is a shot of the receiver.

F-15J_JSDF 11-11-2008 05:00 AM

I really want to get one now.

CHAWKJIM 11-11-2008 08:23 AM

I will try . Its kind of hard to fly and vidio at the same time though. Ha Ha

CHAWKJIM 11-11-2008 08:34 AM

servo list

For the ailerons I am using JR 8411's
For the elivator I am using Hitec HS 5245MG
For the flaps I put JR 8711's as i just had 2 sitting around I will replace them with something later
For the rudder I used 1 JR8711 this is also controlling the wheel
For the air control valve hitec 81
for choke and throttle JR537
I made a ignition cut off with a switch and hitec 81
That all for now but I will put smoke in it later.

If anyone has any questions let me know. This new TBM model was very easy to assemble andI did not have to change anything. So I give this a 10 out of 10 on the build scale.
2 THUMBS UP FOR TBM ON THIS WON

Taildragger726 11-12-2008 03:42 PM

CHAWKJIM brought the TBM Zero over to our coveted, top secret flying site today for a maiden voyage. I was surprised that the airplane was assembled, minus the outer wing panels. It fits easly in the bed if CHAWKJIM's pick up truck. The center section with gear and flaps, was already bolted to the fuse. The outer wing panels plug into the center section, one servo conection per side and it is ready. The retention method is reallyy neat. The cannon and machine guns are attached to long pins that go through the spars and retainers.
The maiden went well, I'll let CHAWKJIM tell ya more. I even think we got some video.

:D:D:D

TonyG

CHAWKJIM 11-12-2008 10:38 PM

I flew the maiden voyage. The flight was excellent 2 clicks down and 2 clicks right . The plane weighed 26 1/2 lbs without fuel. the engine has plenty of power as 90% of the flight was on half throttle. I only flew for about 4 to 5 minutes. This was just a shake down flight. We did get to video and here is the link. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUy4mLNhhXo

LDM 11-12-2008 11:02 PM

Jim she looks rock steady , congratulations on the maiden !!!

I still did not hear back on the pilot from the hobby shop in Minn , I will be there on 11/21 if they have one I will pm you .
Thanks
Lou

joe2011 11-12-2008 11:34 PM

cool vidio :D looks good i need one
see you in the am

F-15J_JSDF 11-12-2008 11:54 PM

Jim Thanks for the Video Link, She is a nice bird.

CHAWKJIM 11-13-2008 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I landed I was not using the flaps and she was still slow and easy. I am very happy with the purchase of the TBM zero. 1 week of building and I end up with one of the nicest flying, best looking plane I have ever had the pleasure of owning. There are no surprises with this kit. You get quality with this new Zero. If anyone has any questions let me know I will be more than happy to answer them. Tomorrow I fly again. I will try to use the flaps to see how they work I will let you know.Need to break in the new motor. Sounds like the perfect reason to fly .

msouers 11-13-2008 09:50 AM

Jim,

Was the white color hard to see in the sky and clouds? Neat looking plane!

Whistling Death 11-13-2008 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: msouers

Jim,

Was the white color hard to see in the sky and clouds? Neat looking plane!
Certainly not speaking for Jim but I have planes of both colors and they are hard for me to see. I have to keep them close because it gets scary when they get to far away.
I am putting together an H-9 P-51 150 and I have resigned myself to keep the bright stock colors so I don't lose it in the clouds.

msouers 11-13-2008 04:09 PM

Jim,

I really like your plane. Do you think that I could land it on 360' of asphalt runway? I have a Top Flight 80'' T34 Mentor that takes about 3/4 of the runway. Please give me your honest opinion. Thanks.

Mark

F-15J_JSDF 11-13-2008 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can always go ORANGE

CHAWKJIM 11-13-2008 06:50 PM

honestly I think it will land in a very short runway as I did not use any flaps and look at the video how stable and slow she is. 1st flight.

CHAWKJIM 11-13-2008 06:54 PM

I did not have any problem seeing the plane in this color. I never felt disoriented at any time it was easy for me to see. I will know more tomorrow if it isn't so windy. I will fly then.

F-15J_JSDF 11-13-2008 07:03 PM

Think when I order mine the first thing I will do is re-paint it to look like the A6M5-K. Just looking on a Japanese RC Club Site and everyone that has Zeros are Green or White ... I like to be DIFFERENT so the A6M5-K colour scheme will be something different.

CHAWKJIM 11-13-2008 07:30 PM

What color is that ?

CHAWKJIM 11-13-2008 08:56 PM

is that an Orange?

F-15J_JSDF 11-13-2008 09:28 PM

From what I have read they had a few colours ... Black, Camo, Orange, Yellowish brown ... I will get my wife to reseach more on Japanese sites as my reading of Kanji is not that good.

CHAWKJIM 11-13-2008 10:09 PM

when you decide on color check to see if they have exhaust. You would need the green from TBM for the exhaust. The white has no exhaust.

F-15J_JSDF 11-14-2008 12:32 AM

No Zeros had exhausts out the sides until the A6M5 Type 0 Model 52 , before the they were clean lines but for two ports below the cowling

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_shokaku.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/98e531b0.jpg
A6M2 ... as you can see no exhaust but for at the bottom of the cowling

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l32-common.jpg
A6M3 ... Clipped wing and no exhaust around the Cowling.

I think the WHITE TBM is based off the A6M2 to A6M4 and the Green TBM is based on the A6M5 ... the A6M5-K would have the 4 exhausts on each side but she was a twin seater, so need to have a look and see if it is possible to change a TBM to twin seater!

CHAWKJIM 11-14-2008 02:19 PM

Went flying today and messed with the flaps. Seems that 40% flaps you need a mix of down of 14 I don't know what the % is but the value on my JR 9303 was 14 down . The plane floats in so slow it was easy to land. You dont need a large runway at all. I will keep you posted as I figure out more.