RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   World Models P-51 Mustang G.S. ( S1 - Ridge Runner ) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8439357-world-models-p-51-mustang-g-s-s1-ridge-runner.html)

snappa 02-04-2009 08:49 PM

World Models P-51 Mustang G.S. ( S1 - Ridge Runner )

Just purchased one of these to replace my me109.... seems a nice plane anyone seen a build around here? I have looked but cant find one

mugenkidd 02-05-2009 05:56 AM

RE: World Models P-51 Mustang G.S. ( S1 - Ridge Runner )

Mine will be turning 5 this year. It's a real straight forward arf to assemble. I have pics of mine in my gallery and under "my models"... I've used the mechanical retracts all of this time, but this year I think I'll add some robarts as I'm finally sick of messing with them, besides that the plane wobbles on the ground like a new born deer.. lol... Other than that it flies really well, but defintaly use flaps on landing as it will tip stall without them. Anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Michael

rc34074 02-05-2009 07:07 AM

I have the world GS miss america version which is an early version built without flaps. this plane flies very well and has no tendency to snap at low speeds. I changed the retracts to Spring Air 400 size retracts which have been flawless. I also reinforced the wing bolt area and changed to 1/4-20 wing bolts. right now I have a super tiger 2300 in it and this engine flies this plane very well, so if you are thinking of a glow engine this or maybe the os 160 would be good choices.

sorry I didn't have a digital camera when assembling mine.

Ed

snappa 02-05-2009 07:30 PM

yes I am quite impressed with world models quality and I hope this will be the same, I have an ASP 180 left over from my ME109 from CMP which even though I am sure had a mechanical failure 3 flights into its life was a cheap junky kit, I am hoping this one is way better

snappa 02-05-2009 07:31 PM

its nice to see world models using pull pull with this kit... on the important surfaces like rudder and elevator so are the landing gear quite sloppy?

mugenkidd 02-05-2009 09:26 PM

You can use the gear, I have for the last 4 seasons.. but it does wobble quite a bit, and they do tend to flex and bend over time... I kept telling myself that if I were going to spend the money for the gear I would just get the TF kit, but now I'm at the point where I think the bird desearves a good set of gear.

snappa 02-05-2009 09:30 PM

what do you mean TF Kit?

snappa 02-05-2009 09:42 PM

Quick bit of research, http://www.3dxhobbies.com/Hyperion_a.../hprtg25al.htm I wonder if any supplier makes alarger/better version of this?

mugenkidd 02-06-2009 12:03 AM

Sorry, TF stands for Top Flite. I always thought that before I wanted to put that much extra money into the World Models mustang, I should just buy a Top Flite Giant Mustang ARC, because its a lot more scale and a little larger.

snappa 02-06-2009 04:35 PM

hopefully mine will be here on Monday, as for retracts dave brown make some too http://www.dbproducts.com/store/sprt.htm allow pop-ups to see an exploded view

bzyguy01 02-06-2009 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up a Miss America version of this bird....Love the scheme. Not really impressed with the lack of scale and the fit of my cowel ander belly pan so far but I dont really have alot of room to complain as the price is right! I do think it has alot of value for the plane tho. We mounted a Moki 2.10 on it and I will be putting in a Large Mac tuned pipe inside the fuse to exit the rear.
My setup:
Servos: Digital JR821
Retract Servos: JR
Custom header
Mac 23" Tuned Pipe
Factory Manual Retracts for now
Spektrum 2.4 Ar7000 RX
DX7 TX
3500 Mah 5 cell 6. volt Battery
Moki 2.10 2 stroke on 5% Nitro (Fully Polished!!!)
Stock Fuel tank

prop wash 02-06-2009 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike.Has it been 5 yrs already since you had the thread on your WM GS P51?? Boy has the time gone by fast. I'm still flying the TFGS P51 and rebuilding the Big Beautifull Doll that got shot down. I love that plane.Tom [ the one with Woody woodpecker is two seasons old.My nick name is Woody]

mugenkidd 02-06-2009 09:01 PM

Hey Tom!! yeah, I picked her up in 2003... the time has gone by fast.. Glad to see "Woody" is still flying..

bzyguy.. the polished moki looks great... the moki is a great combo with this plane, love to see how you work the tuned pipe in it..

prop wash 02-06-2009 09:34 PM

Sorry Mike but thats a Pitts muffler and my Moki is a great engine. I had a chance to go to a Bud Nosen P47 but I'll stay with the glow engines 85 inch wing span is big enough for me.Don't like the smell of gasoline.
I still have a WM P51 that[46 size] I am rebuilding for my Grandson and I think its a great model to fly.If the WMGS is as good,:D I would not be surprised. Tom

mugenkidd 02-06-2009 09:46 PM

I knew we had a lot in common Tom, I hate the smell of gas also. I keep my planes in the house, and if you have to work on them, espically take the gas tank apart... man it stinks up the entire place not to mention the safety aspect of it.... Moki does make that 360 that I would love to put into something..

snappa 02-09-2009 04:01 AM

We mine turned up today! two boxes in fact I have started the assembly tonight and the quality is OUTSTANDING

snappa 02-09-2009 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I dont think this will be a build log but more a heads up on this plane, I got burnt with the quality of the CMP ME109 (which if we are honest is poor quality) and this one is a refreshing change heck they even provide you with "swatches" of covering for repairs should it be needed the wing assembly felt a little strange as I am used to glueing the wing halves together but in this case its designed to pull apart for transport the balsa and ply seems good quality and is not soft

snappa 02-09-2009 04:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more

snappa 02-09-2009 04:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more

snappa 02-10-2009 03:33 AM

well assembled one retract servo tonight there is a substantial load on this servo even with spring assist so I used alloy arms,however a question for anyone who has built this, one you have the servos in place what covers the hole? are you supposed to use the peice of silver covering supplied and iron it on? there does not seem to be a hatch? look at my very first photo to see the hole I am talking about

mugenkidd 02-10-2009 08:49 AM

Wish I could help but on mine the servo's are located further inboard on the wing panel, so I do not need covers, because the retract servo opening are covered by the fusealge.. not sure why they would change that.

snappa 02-10-2009 01:57 PM

I dont think mine are covered by the body but I will check that out tonight

mike early 02-10-2009 02:39 PM

From reading on another thread, on the P-47, the retract servo openings are indeed to be covered with a patch.

Capt G 02-10-2009 03:42 PM

I made hatches to cover the holes. Flewmany seasons with Moki 1.80. Replaced the gear though with spring airs.

snappa 02-11-2009 01:46 PM

I might make hatches too as I like to be able to inspect this area now and then