RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Pica FW 190 D (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8571616-pica-fw-190-d.html)

vertical grimmace 03-12-2009 06:23 PM

Pica FW 190 D

I just pulled out my Pica 190 that I started building many, many years ago. It is basically all framed up and nearing final assembly. I really like the way it looks and really look forward to seeing it finished and flying.
My question is, anyone who has built and flown one, what would you do if you were at this final stage again? When it comes to engine selection, finish technique, retract options etc. I really am set on a 4-stroke so I am pretty locked in to a .78-1.00 size. I am also partial to Saito but may be enticed to try a Thunder tiger.
The fuel tank box seems small. I think an 8 oz. is all that will fit. I had though of enlarging this but maybe not. If anyone has any overall thoughts on this plane I would love to hear them. Especially any experiences flying this aircraft.

RVman 03-12-2009 07:17 PM

RE: Pica FW 190 D

1 Attachment(s)
I glassed mine with 3/4oz cloth and epoxy then painted using klasskote. I used spring air 74 degree air retracts, they work fine but it is difficult to slow them without it being jerky. My engine is a webra 91P5 with a 15-8 Graupner 3 blade propeller. Perfect combination for the plane as no balance weight was needed and it fits very well in the cowling. The plane flies very well, it is a brick without power but it slows well with flaps and is quite stable. I left the supercharger intake off mine as the plastic part was all cracked in my kit. Someday I will scale it out a little more.

vertical grimmace 03-12-2009 08:33 PM

RVman, how much does yours weigh? Would you still glass it the same way?

paladin 03-12-2009 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine was built in 1982 it’s a Platt Pica 65 in ws, pica later redesigned it to 63in ws. I covered it with silk span and dope painted with k&b epoxy, rhom – air retracts it has had a rossi 65, ys 90, and super tiger 90 for power. The rossi was the best power but could not keep bearings in it. The pipe ran right down the fuse.

Your fuel box will fit a dubro 16 oz if you want more take the back of the box should open up into radio compartment.

Best flying plane I’ve ever owned, over 1k of flights on it

Joe

RVman 03-12-2009 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

RVman, how much does yours weigh? Would you still glass it the same way?
Its 10lbs, I used epoxy since I have lots from doing a couple boats. It worked well and is very strong and dent resistant.

vertical grimmace 03-12-2009 09:14 PM

That looks great Paladin. Congrats on all of the flights. Amazing a plane can last that long. You just never know, you could over look something you know. I also have plans for a 114" span TA152. I think I am going to practice and learn some finishing technique on the Pica as practice for my competition bound TA 152.

LDM 03-12-2009 09:42 PM

I have this plane new in box , the Platt version . I plan on hollowing out the ribs , the fuse bulkheads and going eletric , I think it will make a good conversion .

TomCrump 03-13-2009 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine flew well, at 12#, powered by a 91 Surpass.

Make sure that your gear's axles extend to the leading edge, or you will have trouble taxiing. My ailerons were fairly sesitive, so be careful with your setup.

vertical grimmace 03-13-2009 06:24 AM

I need to get an engine. I am looking at the Saito's. either an .82, .91 or 1.00. I guess it depends on which one I can get a deal on.

jim_franks 03-13-2009 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been working on one for the past year. The work has been going slow to say the least. Trying to get it done in the next month. Plane to mount a .91 two stroke in it. I have concerns that the engine will not fit in the cowling without some modification to the front.

paladin 03-13-2009 08:40 AM

V, it was a rocket ship when I had the rossi in it. When I moved to the super tiger 90 it was a large loss of power. That showed up as loosing speed very quickly in vertical pulls. I have to shorten up my loops or stall out at the top. I have a OS 1.08 that freed up last year and am thinking that may be a better engine for mine. Mine has had most og the glue joints between the stressed balsa skin and the bulkheads broken free at one point or another so I don’t dare put a 4c on it because I think at 9.25# a 1.2 4c would solve a lot of the vertical pull problems.

Joe

paladin 03-13-2009 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my favorite pic's

vertical grimmace 03-13-2009 01:16 PM

Looks great. I left my tail sheet stock and am not going to get crazy with the detailing. I would like to adda cocpit and pilot though. There are quite a few allied aircraft in this scale at my field, so this will fit well flying formation (chasing) with them! I do like to build but it is a shame this aircraft is not available in ARF form. The german machines seem to get overlooked generally.
I did check my gear and they are way out in front. I would say I got luccky there unless I though about it at the time. I do not remember. It has been around 10 years.
What is everyones favorite paint? I have used latex but would like a little more fuel proof. Maybe warbird colors paint?

funkymeter2003 03-13-2009 03:02 PM

I am in the process (long process) of building mine and had purchased a saito 100 for it. This required firewall modifications to get it in the cowl which I did not anticipate (it is my first real build). It really slowed up and eventually killed my build for the time being. Beautiful plane though!

Oberfeldwebel 03-13-2009 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's how much I love the 190.. Blue 1 is clone of unfinished 190. Traced and cut the parts from the Pica kit I had.
Blue 1 only has a ST 61 in it but still hauls the freight. Covered with .5 oz. FG, auto spray can primer and Chervon/Prefect paint.
It was finished with the white striped, red undersides of the jet squadron defense group. I think there's a 10 oz tank in it. Spring Air retracts and 200 flights on it. The other one was finished in standard day fighter colors and sold. I now have a Skyshark 190-A version waiting to be done.
After the Corsair, P-47 and a couple of He-162's...

LDM 03-13-2009 06:25 PM

Jim , that is a beauty !!! , that is exactly what I want to do to mine plane .The tail build up is fantastic , excellant work .
If you go with a 4 stroke , call mac products , they make a 90 degree bend to help keep everything in the cowl .

RVman 03-13-2009 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: jim_franks

Been working on one for the past year. The work has been going slow to say the least. Trying to get it done in the next month. Plane to mount a .91 two stroke in it. I have concerns that the engine will not fit in the cowling without some modification to the front.
I had to widen the beam mounts to fit my 90. As well, the back of the cylinder is only a 1/16" from the firewall... It does fit though.

pencon 05-19-2009 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, Icompletedmy Pica 190in about 1999 and I just pulled it out of hibernation after 10 years .I just rejoined a club and I have it on a couple of videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZ5OFGIFk8 and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgcbtVobob4. IMacguyvered afunctional exhaust manifold which can be seen in the video and these pics :)A seperate ply chamber for the manifold to sit in was fuel proofed with epoxy. When in the plane you can only see the flared tips .An attempt was made on a scale looking tail wheel with a hacksaw , dremel etc which is suspended on a medical syringe for a shock absorber .MY Eff Dubya weighs 12 pounds with 3/4 oz cloth and resin airbrushed panels rivets etc. and ispowered by an OS .91 surpass which believe it or not flies it with no probs. Awesome plane I love it!

alanc 05-19-2009 05:05 PM

this brings back memories, i have had 2 of them, i built neither, friend of mine had one as well, one of mine had a webra 61, my other had an OS 61 fsr, both where scaled out, and no lightweights, rom airs, full cockpits, both flew well,easily enough power, friends plane was also a nice scale modeluntil he took off with his ariel downoops,Power in his was a humble merco 61, but it was easily enough,. happy days, would not mind another

pencon 05-20-2009 11:49 PM

Alan , YT models should do a Platt replica or similar D9 fiberglass arf . I think you'd sell a pile .They are an awesome flying and good looking warbird. And they fit in your vehicle. Just come up with some decent retracts tho.... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gifLook at it this way , you'd be the only manufacturer to have one for sale ...

paladin 05-21-2009 06:50 AM

where do i get on the list for that!

Joe

TomCrump 05-21-2009 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: paladin

where do i get on the list for that!

Joe

No kidding. I'd like one, too !!!

I prefer the lines of the D Series to that of the A. I would thing a high quality,ARF model, in the smaller 60" range would be a marketable product.

paladin 05-21-2009 08:25 PM

you know the wing is already done so it only requires a fuse design.

Joe

pjakew 05-21-2009 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Pica Dora. This one I bought off a club member who never flew it and got it, by mistake, at an auction. Originally it had a Saito 82, but I swapped it out and now have a YS .91. It is actually a backup racer for the circuit here in Northern CA. Whoever built it did a good job. It is fiberglassed and takes punishment like a M1 Abrahms. I think I may race with it the next time around instead of having it as a backup. We shall see. Solid flying bird though.

pencon 05-22-2009 12:41 AM

Great lookin FW but you really should invert the cylinder , It would give it a cleaner scale look .Must be superfast with the YS