RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Meister 1/5 scale P-47 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/8885792-meister-1-5-scale-p-47-a.html)

Bill Jennings 06-15-2011 02:04 PM

RE: Meister 1/5 scale P-47

G'Day Gary.
Please pass on my best wishes to your brother and let him know that we are thinking of him.

Regards.
Bill

Mustangman40 06-15-2011 02:46 PM

Gary,
when it rains it pours! Hang in there buddy,i will send up some prayers for your brother as well as you and your family....
You gonna be up for Bs'ing later tonight?

dpav8r 06-15-2011 03:11 PM

Hey Gary, I told you once on the phone to ask me sometime how I know prayer works. I have been cancer free for 2 1/2 years.  I know for a fact prayer works. Brian is on our prayer chain at this time and I will prayer for Brian too be healed now.

Thanks for your comments on my Meister Jug. Maiden tommorrow.

Dave

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: dpav8r

Hey Gary, I told you once on the phone to ask me sometime how I know prayer works. I have been cancer free for 2 1/2 years. I know for a fact prayer works. Brian is on our prayer chain at this time and I will prayer for Brian too be healed now.

Thanks for your comments on my Meister Jug. Maiden tommorrow.

Dave
Thank you so much for the support. We greatly appreciate your expressions of faith. Christianity gives us much hope on many levels.

We eagerly await your maiden report.

Sincerely,
Gary

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Gary,
when it rains it pours! Hang in there buddy, i will send up some prayers for your brother as well as you and your family....
Hi pal. Yes, I'm taking some Hysol over to Brian and then I will be back. I'll be working on the CARF Corsair tonight. I want to get the Moki 250 installed and work on the canopy. Brian is working on the folding wings and gear, while I get the fuselage ready. Basically the same approach we took to the Meister build.

We would like to have her ready to fly in a couple weeks.

We are going to maiden her in the silver gel coat, get the mechanicals all sorted out and then do the paint job. Fun stuff to occupy our time and thoughts.:D

We also made a stop on the way home from WOG to pick up an Aero Works P-51. It has been converted to electric and supposedly has been clocked at 146 straight and level. Cool.

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Bill Jennings

G'Day Gary.
Please pass on my best wishes to your brother and let him know that we are thinking of him.

Regards.
Bill
Done Bill, thanks.

Gary

Mustangman40 06-15-2011 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Gary,
when it rains it pours! Hang in there buddy,i will send up some prayers for your brother as well as you and your family....
Hi pal. Yes, I'm taking some Hysol over to Brian and then I will be back. I'll be working on the CARF Corsair tonight. I want to get the Moki 250 installed and work on the canopy. Brian is working on the folding wings and gear, while I get the fuselage ready. Basically the same approach we took to the Meister build.

We would like to have her ready to fly in a couple weeks.

We are going to maiden her in the silver gel coat, get the mechanicals all sorted out and then do the paint job. Fun stuff to occupy our time and thoughts.:D

We also made a stop on the way home from WOG to pick up an Aero Works P-51. It has been converted to electric and supposedly has been clocked at 146 straight and level. Cool.

10-4 bud, give you a call around 10 or so............

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the damage guys. Look how much damage is done to the gear and how little the wings were effected. Amazing. Brian cut the right wing open to better work some glue into it.

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what caused the dead stick. The throttle arm had been soldered to the carburetor (not by us). It held for 41 flights. Let go on the 42nd. Had it failed on the flight we made at Hawks field this year (a very short field with only one option, the runway), Zombie could have easily been destroyed.

Also are some shots of a far worse sight. Frank Tiano's Meister being retrieved and hauled on the crash cart.

Frank told me he will repair it. He was already working out the approach to the rebuild before he left for home. I have an idea he will have it flying before too long. I was impressed at how well he took the horrible Friday he had. A very classy guy IMO.

funfly-RCU 06-15-2011 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry to here about about the jug, I got the first flight out of the way with my one. what a flight it was. I have too picture one just taking off and one landing, yes i know the gear is not down, they got stuck so i had to do a belley landing, broken prop thats it.

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: funfly-RCU

Sorry to here about about the jug, I got the first flight out of the way with my one. what a flight it was. I have too picture one just taking off and one landing, yes i know the gear is not down, they got stuck so i had to do a belley landing, broken prop thats it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Good job getting yours down. Props are easy to replace.:D

fw190d9 06-15-2011 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gary, I like to use 1/16th G10 for my throttle arms. Never had one break in 10 years of flying. Use 2 small bolts thru the 3w throttle shaft plate.
Evan Q.

Mk23socom 06-15-2011 09:31 PM

Here is what caused the dead stick. The throttle arm had been soldered to the carburetor (not by us). It held for 41 flights. Let go on the 42nd. Had it failed on the flight we made at Hawks field this year (a very short field with only one option, the runway), Zombie could have easily been destroyed.

Also are some shots of a far worse sight. Frank Tiano's Meister being retrieved and hauled on the crash cart.
For someone who only had a little foamie there, I sure was a busy guy.. Ihad no clue anyone snapped any pictures of me and Sean bringing the plane back..

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: fw190d9

Gary, I like to use 1/16th G10 for my throttle arms. Never had one break in 10 years of flying. Use 2 small bolts thru the 3w throttle shaft plate.
Evan Q.
Thanks for the tip. It will be bolted for sure.

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Mk23socom

For someone who only had a little foamie there, I sure was a busy guy.. I had no clue anyone snapped any pictures of me and Sean bringing the plane back..
I can't thank you enough for your help Kirby. It was a pleasure to meet you. I am looking forward to flying our Meisters together. I'll be needing to be more careful with Zombie in the meantime.:D

Maybe Brian will baby her this summer while I fly the F4U.:)

wayne d 06-15-2011 10:13 PM

Hey Gary,
Take a look at these,
http://www.pspmfg.com/WalbroCarburet...ChokeArms.html

I should have mentioned that Troy Built also has them.

ram3500-RCU 06-15-2011 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: wayne d

Hey Gary,
Take a look at these,
http://www.pspmfg.com/WalbroCarburet...ChokeArms.html

I should have mentioned that Troy Built also has them.
Thanks Wayne. I'll look into them.

I wanted to tell you that I spoke with Scott about the prop we got with the CARF Corsair. It came with two sets of CF blades, but after talking to Scott, I would like to switch to the Beech blades. I'll be ordering some and probably selling the CF ones.

BTW, what a nice piece of work your prop is.

wayne d 06-15-2011 10:29 PM

Let me know well before you actually need them, i have about a 4 to 6 week lead time. Just can't seem to get caught up.

Icemanjr92 06-15-2011 10:32 PM

Hire some help! :-))

wayne d 06-15-2011 10:35 PM

Want a Job:D

ram3500-RCU 06-16-2011 01:18 PM

Let me know well before you actually need them, i have about a 4 to 6 week lead time. Just can't seem to get caught up.
We hope to have the first Corsair ready to fly in maybe three weeks. Won't be painted, just together and mechanically complete.

Guess I would ask that we get them as soon as you can. Glad you are so busy. Your props are awesome.

Mk23socom 06-18-2011 10:01 PM

[/quote]
I can't thank you enough for your help Kirby. It was a pleasure to meet you. I am looking forward to flying our Meisters together. I'll be needing to be more careful with Zombie in the meantime.:D

Maybe Brian will baby her this summer while I fly the F4U.:)
[/quote]

No thanks needed Gary, like Isaid, Ilike to help, but not like that..

ram3500-RCU 06-20-2011 03:04 PM

Spoke with Bruce at CJM today. He received the struts and will have them done in a couple days. He was kind enough to suggest he ship the new housings and trunnions directly to Mitch at Down & Locked so he can get started on the rebuild of those as well. This will save us a few days in waiting to ship. We will send the damaged stuff to Mitch tomorrow, and Bruce will do the same with the new stuff. When he gets done with the struts, he will ship them to Mitch as well. I think this will be fixed sooner than we had hoped.

I can't say enough about these two companies when it come to customer support. Thanks guys.

Brian decided to go ahead and make new main gear doors, and improve on the fit. We have a local fly in coming up July 16th, and it looks like Zombie will be ready. We hope to have the new Corsair #1 ready as well.

wayne d 06-21-2011 06:58 PM

Hey Gary
The radial is in the mail, you should have it in a couple of days.

Now the cool stuff,
I made up a set of blades for you and got them painted today. I'll make up another set in a couple of weeks. The only thing I suggest and I suggest this everyone, is to do all the test flights with a Non Solo propeller. Reason is, if you nose over its a lot easier to replace a Non Solo Propeller. At least till you figure out its flying properties.
They take a few days to dry and I'll balance them and they will on the way. I'll let you know when I ship them. Most likely Monday or Tuesday.

ram3500-RCU 06-21-2011 07:18 PM

Hey Gary
The radial is in the mail, you should have it in a couple of days.

Now the cool stuff,
I made up a set of blades for you and got them painted today. I'll make up another set in a couple of weeks. The only thing I suggest and I suggest this everyone, is to do all the test flights with a Non Solo propeller. Reason is, if you nose over its a lot easier to replace a Non Solo Propeller. At least till you figure out its flying properties.
They take a few days to dry and I'll balance them and they will on the way. I'll let you know when I ship them. Most likely Monday or Tuesday.
Sounds good Wayne. I appreciate your suggestion. I do like the idea of the three blade prop though. Less diameter and more ground clearance in case the tail gets a little high, but I will look into a two blade prop as well.

Coincidentally, The instructions with the CARF Corsair powered by the Moki 250 are to, under no circumstances, attempt a full power take off. They state that you will not have enough elevator to keep the prop out of the ground under full power.

BTW, do you know anyone who may be interested in the CF blades I have? I thought I would post them on RCU. I have two sets.