RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Comp ARF Spitfire build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9009964-comp-arf-spitfire-build.html)

CaptainFlynn 08-12-2009 07:13 AM

Comp ARF Spitfire build

Hi Everyone!

I just received and unpacked the new version of the old Fiberclassics Spitfire from Composite Arf. From the first looks the kit is worth every cent. All fiberglass parts are very light but strong, surface details are simply amazing. Real improvements and higher prefabrications will surely make this build less painful!! :D Only disappointment for now is that the amount of included hardware, such as control horns does not live up to usual comp arf standards.

Now to the build: I am planning to use a 3W80 XI TS. I made some good experiences with this engine before and the new engine dome will make installing the engine way quicker and hassle free. Retracts are going to be from WABO, not decided yet on exhaust system and am still looking for a tail wheel strut.

Finish is going to be one of the earlier models of a photo recon version of the Spit, probably not 100% authentic in terms of markings and color. Going to post pictures later today. As this build will take some time, anybody who builds a Spit from Comp ARF is welcome to share opinions in this thread![8D]

Brad330l 08-12-2009 07:36 AM

RE: Comp ARF Spitfire build

AWESOME!!!!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I wish I was building along with you.

This is going to be a great thread/build.

Cheers,

Brad

CaptainFlynn 08-12-2009 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Brad! Was really looking forward to receive this kit :) Will post first pictures tonight. Thanks for your interest :)

This is going to be my color scheme by the way. Tailfin, Rudder and cowl do not match the current MK version of the kit, but that doesn't disturb me that much. There were quite some different MK's with similar color schmemes flying, at least according to my research so far. [8D]

F4u5 08-12-2009 09:59 AM

We'll have 3 of these kits in town in a short bit. We plan to try and make 3 of the same squadron.

Jeff

CaptainFlynn 08-12-2009 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so here it comes. First off, some pictures of the kit contents. I'll focus on some shots which are not shown on the manufacturers website in detail. I am still surprised how stiff the fuselage is with the new sandwich technique used.

The shape of the canopy is one of the Spitfire's sexiest features I think [:-] Good improvement to see a nicely made fiberglass canopy frame.

CaptainFlynn 08-12-2009 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Compared to the old kit from Fiberclassics, everything fits together perfectly. Took the elevator out of the box and slided it into its position - 100% fit. Very nice. I particularly like the hinging of all flying surfaces.

CaptainFlynn 08-12-2009 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wings are a perfect fit as well. You can see the mould in the middle for specific exhausts, I believe. The wings are very light as well compared to older versions sorry for repeating myself. :D

I will start the build making heavy use of my dremel by opening all cowlings, canopy, servo hatches on wings..... I'll report back once this is done. Probably by the end of the week as I have to clear the workshop of the P-51 i still didnt finish... :eek:

The finish (airbrushing) will be on the list for this bird very soon as its already August and as I have to paint outside, this has to be done quite soonish (due to the lovely irish weather).

CaptainFlynn 08-12-2009 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Simply amazing are the factory aligned wings, drilled and mounted. Didn't bolt the wings to the fuselage yet, but will report back to let you guys know how it fits together. :D

There is another picture of my Peefifteeone "Katydid" who has to make space for the Spit and its powerplant: 3W80XI TS CS; lots of abbrevations but plenty of power and reliability - never had problems with those 3W's.

Off to torture my Dremel! (ok that sounds just wrong)

JSZ 08-13-2009 09:44 AM

Just got one myself, I see they still do not have a manual available yet. I had one of the originals as well. Kick myself for selling it. Looking foward to your build. JZ

CaptainFlynn 08-17-2009 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, first update. I started to dremel all openings for the cockpit, radiators and engine cowl. You really need a calm hand for that canopy frame!! Next step was to reinforce the engine dome with some carbon fiber cloth. I dremeled out quite a bit on top of the dome to have better access to carburator, fuel tank, etc. I might layer up some more CFK inside the dome to give some extra strenght to the structure.

I decided to mount the engine next. Thanks to the long engine dome, it is quite simple to mount a single cylinder engine. The distance from the dome to the spinner plate is just about 19 centimeters, so there is no need to mount the engine on standoffs or the like. The 3W fits perfectly under the cowl - however, I am going to open up the front to make sure the cylinder head gets good cooling. I am also going to use fresh air from the wing radiators to cool the exhaust and to give the carb some extra breeze of fresh air.

Still a bit unsure about on how to resolve the elevator control. My old FC spit had a 2 servo push-pull system with carbon rods but I would rather much prefer 1 servo with 1 carbon rod but not sure if that'll be stiff enough. Any good ideas?

Look at the picture This is what I currently have in mind for the elevator. Does this work? (Excuse my limited paint skills) :eek:

Will post pictures of the actual building process tonight ;)

quist 08-17-2009 09:50 AM

I would put a longer carbon pushrod. I would then install a pushrod support halfway down the fuse. A thick wall carbon shaft wont bend.

CaptainFlynn 08-18-2009 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes quist - thanks. The servo will just sit below the cockpit shoulder for easy access and maintenance. I made a pushrod out of 2 carbon tubes - should do the job with some support in the fuselage as you said. Alright, you can now see the preliminary fit of the engine. I'll probably add a second carbon'ed plate between the rubber shock mounts and the fuselage firewall. I never used those shock mounts before, but I think they will do their job.

I am waiting for some parts now to complete the engine installation. Next step is to install the manifold and tunnel for the exhaust. I am using a 3W inline muffler system. Fortunately there is enough room for a conventional manifold, so no complicated brazing solder work is necessary!!

Not sure yet if I am going to build a scale cockpit in this Spit. Definitely a nice pilot and I am thinking about adding a flycamone² to the full scale camera position. Its a photo recon Spitfire afterall and surely a nice gimmick! :D

Electronic equipment will primarily consist of Futaba or Hitec: 3305 (645MG) for Rudder / Ailerons and Flaps. Probably a JRDS8711 or HS7955TG for elevator. Power supply will be an emcotec DPSI RV5. I will store all pneumatic equipment in the wings, so I'll use an electronic air valve for easier installation.

Some pictures now. Really looking forward to the weekend to get some more work done on this bird.

ZeroDave 08-18-2009 08:05 PM

I'm wondering about the spinner. Did you order the spinner comp-arf offers?

Flakbait 08-18-2009 08:11 PM

Subscribed,
Good looki'n Spit.

CaptainFlynn 08-19-2009 03:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ZeroDave

I'm wondering about the spinner. Did you order the spinner comp-arf offers?

Thanks guys I have a Krumscheid alloy Spinner for that one planned. Will post pictures asap.

jcflyboy 08-19-2009 09:31 AM

Hi Hajo77,
I have a Comp ARF Spit on order. Thanks for the building thread. I will be using the same motor. If I come up with anything you could use, I will send it to you.

CaptainFlynn 08-19-2009 10:43 AM

Good stuff JC, feel free to add anything worth mentioning in this thread. :) Thanks man!

I heard from my Rep yesterday that some stuff will be added to the kit - apparently some milled parts / frames and that they're going to send it to me shortly. I'll get back on that as soon as I receive it.

Hajo

CaptainFlynn 08-19-2009 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good evening! Not particularly proud of today progress! Being home late and still having to wait for some small bits and pieces kinda slows the whole thing down! :eek:

Still, I added the supporting firewall and now I'll only need some more washers to bring the engine to a perfect fit.

CaptainFlynn 08-19-2009 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached the elevator carbon rod to its future position just to see how it's going to fit. Had to rub down some wood to have enough clearance for the ball-link and its hardware. I like the smoth elevator movement. Fuselage is still quite empty but I hope its going to get crowed in there quite soon. Elevator Servo will be mounted on the fuselage wall.

CaptainFlynn 08-19-2009 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok - Final check of alignment, spark plug clearance looks okay too. Maybe I have to cut out a little hole for the cap, we will see. :) Next I will remove the material for the manifold and start working on the exhaust tunnel, which I am going to make out of thing fiberglass cloth.

Brad330l 08-19-2009 07:22 PM

Good work Hajo, I am very jelous. ( of your Spitfire and being able to work on it. I have been doing shut down after shut down at work)

Cheers,

Brad

jcflyboy 08-20-2009 09:13 AM

Hajo, Do you think there would be enough clearance for a 3W 80 or 85 single spark plug?

jcflyboy 08-20-2009 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here Is the color scheme I would like to do. I want to do this in honor of pilot Mark Hanna.

CaptainFlynn 08-20-2009 12:25 PM

Nice color scheme JC I will measure the clearance for a single cylinder engine for you. I think the twin sparks are a little bit more compact and positioning of the spak plugs. You could also go for a short prop extension. Might do the trick for you.

CaptainFlynn 08-23-2009 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, weekend is over and I got some stuff on the Spitfire done. Since I am still waiting on some parts to finalize engine installation I took the wing and worked on the Flap and Aileron linkages.

Flap hinged with a fiberglass horn - Glued in with Hysol. Flap linkage will be completely hidden. Not that it would make any difference to a visible linkage since the radiator covers the flap servo spot anyways. :D

<JC - I will mail you the measurements of the cowl as soon as I am done with the engine. Its still not 100% aligned yet. I hope to get this done during the week.