RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   The RCFW Hellcat Group Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9187106-rcfw-hellcat-group-build.html)

G.F. Reid 12-07-2016 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was actually in 'semi-negotiations' with the seller for that one before he posted it. Oh well...I really did not need another kit in my basement anyway.

Chad Veich 12-07-2016 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by G.F. Reid (Post 12284305)
I was actually in 'semi-negotiations' with the seller for that one before he posted it. Oh well...I really did not need another kit in my basement anyway.

Ah well, if you ever do decide that you would like a kit Greg you "know a guy" so it's no problem. Take care brother!

G.F. Reid 12-08-2016 03:41 AM

Well, hold the phone Chad. That may not be the one I was looking at. We're still talking. Thanks my man!

Bill Andersen 09-08-2018 02:39 PM

As you all may know, Chad has taken medical leave due to a pinched nerve that prevents communicating by the computer. We wish him a speedy and successful recovery. Until then I need help and advice (with pictures!) on a couple of items:
1.) How do you attach the wheel covers to the struts?
2.) How is the small plane # panel at the top of each landing gear attached? Is it attached to the strut, or attached to the LE of the wing and hinged with a CA hinge? For either method how is it actuated to fold flush to the underside of the wing when the landing gear is fully retracted? Thanks, Bill

Chad Veich 09-08-2018 06:47 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Hi Bill, slowly getting back to normal but still having a hard time with being on the computer for very long. I will do my best to answer your questions above but there is MUCH more that needs to be said about the functioning of the gear doors. I will add more info as I am able on the methods I used to make the gear doors operate.

1.) How do you attach the wheel covers to the struts?

I attached the gear doors to the struts using hardwood collars that I laser cut. The collars are simply glued to the struts and then the gear doors are screwed to the collars so that they can be removed for maintenance. I think these days I would probably consider a 3d printed collar rather than the wood which has a tendency to split. I would be happy to make up one type or the other for you.

Attachment 2261881

The next thing that has to be considered is how to attach the gear doors to the collars in such a way as to allow the doors to fit accurately within the wheel openings and flush to the wing surface. I did this by deliberately making the collars too short to reach the gear doors and then filled the space with a blob of epoxy mixed with micro balloons. Once the collars are glued to the struts they were put in the fully retracted position, a blob of the epoxy/micro balloon mixture was applied to the collars, and then the gear doors were carefully set into position and the mixture allowed to dry. Oh yeah, Vaseline was applied to the inside of the gear doors as well to prevent them being glued in place. Once dry, the gear doors are popped free and the excess glue mixture cleaned up to look presentable. The end result is collars that perfectly match the curve of the gear doors and are precisely the right length to hold the gear doors exactly where they need to be.

Attachment 2261882
Attachment 2261883

2.) How is the small plane # panel at the top of each landing gear attached? Is it attached to the strut, or attached to the LE of the wing and hinged with a CA hinge? For either method how is it actuated to fold flush to the underside of the wing when the landing gear is fully retracted?

The upper gear doors are hinged with a pin hinge of some sort and is attached to part W16 on my airplane. I originally had them spring loaded in the closed position but have found that the slip stream holds them closed nearly as well. My airplane has one that still has a spring and the other has no spring and I don't notice any difference.

Attachment 2261884
Attachment 2261885
Attachment 2261886

I'll be back with more later but please post any questions if you have them.

pkf3 01-04-2019 03:03 PM

SIX GUNS 12-20-2020 10:46 AM

hay Chad I'm glad I got the plans from you I will start on this one after the other 2 planes I'm building it will be my weekend flyer and a really awesome plane at the field
I've got a rcgf 15 that I'm going to use I think it will be a great match

Chad Veich 12-20-2020 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by SIX GUNS (Post 12651580)
hay Chad I'm glad I got the plans from you I will start on this one after the other 2 planes I'm building it will be my weekend flyer and a really awesome plane at the field
I've got a rcgf 15 that I'm going to use I think it will be a great match

Will look forward to your build and I am sure the RCGF 15 will be more than ample for the Hellcat. Be sure to keep us posted when you get started.