RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   Dynaflite Corsair build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9365148-dynaflite-corsair-build.html)

jt182 02-18-2010 09:53 PM

RE: Dynaflite Corsair build

Alan I have been in the same boat busy. I didnt get as much done as I thought I would, but Like I said in a earlier post I do build slow. I did get the blocks in the tail area shaped and the sheathing ready for the top half of the fusealage.
Alan I am toying with the idea of a 1/4 sq. pushrod for the rudder instead of the pull pull system. I am going to see how the angle is and if it is feasible.

John

bgfireman 02-18-2010 10:04 PM

I am planning on pull pull for both the rudder tail wheel. Two seperate sets of wires.

bgfireman 02-27-2010 08:15 PM

Well all the glueing is done, except for the fuse bottom. I am not using the stock set up. I am running a seperate pull pull cable to the rear wheel. So once I figure out how I will mount it I will build on. Planning on covering with Koverall.
Stay tuned more to come.
Alan

jt182 02-27-2010 08:44 PM

Alan I am going with the pull pull myself. Talked to a few people and they all said the same do the pull pull. I haven't gotten much done. I have the top skinned I finally got my motor so I can start on a motor mount for the electric motor. I haven't heard of koverall do you have a link for it. I was thinking of silking the wings and tail feathers and tissue on the fuselage. I have a ways to go before I get to a finish on this bird. Betwen my kids and helping with my grandaughter I am pretty busy.

Are you thinking of running your pull system off of the tail wheel wire it's self instead of runnig it to the rudder?

bgfireman 02-27-2010 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: jt182

I haven't heard of koverall do you have a link for it. I was thinking of silking the wings and tail feathers and tissue on the fuselage.
Koverall is a cloth finish by sig. I used some on a cub I built. I think I have enough to cover the F4U.

Are you thinking of running your pull system off of the tail wheel wire it's self instead of runnig it to the rudder?
I am going to run cables to both the wheel and rudder and do away with the rod.

Alan

jt182 02-27-2010 09:16 PM

Got ya now I understand on your setup thanks. I don't like that the idea of the rudder and wheel running off the wire I have seen and esperienced problems with this as in the rudder getting damaged.

I will have to check out that covering see what the wgt. is per sq.ft. I want to keep the wgt. down if I can.

Thanks Alan

John

albo752004 02-28-2010 06:59 AM

Hi Guys

The fuse is coming along pretty well, any ideas about the tail block. I see the die cut parts on the balsa sheets and on the plans, but
not a single word in the instructions. Do you intend to include them in your builds or just leave them off. Thanks

Allen

I'll try and post some pics in the next day or two.

albo752004 03-01-2010 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys

Here a few pics, still not quite sure about the tail block. I agree about the tail wheel wire, really do not like the thought of
doing it that way. Not only does it make the rudder very vulnerable on a bad landing, but it also interferes with the mounting
of the horizontal stab (does not allow it to fit flush against F9). Thinking about moving on to the wing and comming back to these
items later.

Allen

jt182 03-01-2010 09:04 PM

In all honesty the tail isn't on the ground to long anyways. It is handy to have when taxing out to the runway.
I might make mine stationary the club I joined the runway is rough to say the least I have been told by another member that tricycle gear takes a beating as in the servo gears getting stripped. I am thinking that the rudder hooked up to the tail wheel will be trouble at this club. I like Alans idea though of to setups to for the rudder and the wheel so as to do away withthe wire into the rudder.

Don't let that block give you a hard time it is made in two sections you must have a pic in your directions showing the 2 blocks joined together and a third behind it. What I did was concentrate on the first 2 blocks then I roughed shaped them I then put those in place on top of the stab. I then drew lines on the trailing block to get the rough shape. then I joined them all together so I could finish the shaping of the tail blocks. They show the 1/4 shim under the blocks that is to represnt the stab.

bgfireman 03-02-2010 06:42 PM

Allen
I sanded the blocks as one piece, and glued on the die cut parts on. I only used two of them however.
Keep up the good work.
Alan

albo752004 03-02-2010 07:02 PM

Thanks to both of you for the responses. This is what happens to the horz stab when you incorporate the tail wheel tube, I guess
cutting a notch in the stab leading edge is a very BAD idea. Would really prefer not to do it this way but am trying not to complicate
the build any more than necessary. I'm afraid a dual pull pull system is a bit intimidating. Thanks again.

Allen

albo752004 03-02-2010 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Apparently the pic did not go thru hopefully it's in this one.

Al

jt182 03-02-2010 07:45 PM

I put a little notch in the stab to account for the tube coming up.

albo752004 03-07-2010 04:58 AM

Hi Guys

Need a little help (again). I started on the wing and the instructions tell you to shim W2 1/16" off the table to account for the sheeting.
What I'm not 100% sure about is do you shim W2 and the lower spar up off the table, or just W2 and leave the spar flush with the building surface. Thanks again for all your help.

Allen

albo752004 03-23-2010 09:09 PM

Hi JT

Hopefully this will be the last time I ask for your help, could you possibly post a few pictures of your wingtip. I'm really scratching my
head how that is all supposed to work. I really appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks.

Allen

jt182 03-25-2010 11:31 AM

allen I am sorry I havent replied, problem is I haven't started my wing yet life keeps interrupting me. I think the reason for it is the 1/16 sheathing that will go on the wing. I am still working on the fuse. just got a monster power motor and need to figure out a motor mount for it plus making the battery compartment.
John

albo752004 03-25-2010 11:41 AM

Sorry JT I had you mixed up with bgfireman, If Alan could post a few pics of his wingtips I would be forever greatful. The instructions are just so vague !!
Thanks again everybody for all your help.

Allen

bgfireman 03-25-2010 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Allen,
I am sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner, but I have been busy at work and life in general. I have been on hold for a while. No funds. Today I started covering the fuse. I have a pix later. When I made the wing tips I sanded the side(of the die cut tip) that glues to the wing at an angle to glue on better. I just kinda guessed at the angle. Look at the head on view of the wing on plans. Then I glued the sheeting in place and sanded down. It really is not that complicated. Here are a few pix of that also. Excuse them if they are fuzy, but the batteries were going dead.
Alan

albo752004 03-25-2010 09:55 PM

Hi Alan

Thank you for the pics, I know this is not rocket science but it was really hard for me to visualize how the tip. leading edge and sheeting
are supposed to tie together. The pictures are a big help. Thanks again.

Allen

bgfireman 03-25-2010 10:01 PM

No prob. Happy building. Great stress releaver if you dont get to frustrated trying to figure it out. Thats what gets me sometimes also.
Alan

bgfireman 04-04-2010 10:30 PM

No post in a few days. I hope this means saw dust is flying or maybe an airplane or two. I've been doing a little covering. I got past the part I was kind of dreading. I did the top of the wing. It turned out pretty well I think. I did two parts to each side. I'll post some pics later.
Good night
Alan

albo752004 04-09-2010 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Well we have made a bit of headway finally, still got a bit to go before we'll be ready for covering. I manage to fit my os .55ax, a bit
of overkill but it saved me from having to buy a new motor. I'll be swinging an 11x8 3-blade prop, should give it a bit more scale look.
Here are some pictures, I'll definitely be going with individual servos in the wings, bought some access covers from dynamic balsa
to help with that. Hoping to have her in the air in about another month. Thanks again for everyones help.

Allen

jt182 04-10-2010 09:12 PM

To both of you the planes are looking great. I havent been faithful to this build I am slooowly plugging away at the wing. I have been doing a fair amount of flying though and the repaires that can go with said flying, and the family life. Enough excuses I need to bear down on this once the warmer weather gets here I won't want to work on this at all. I will be outside with any free time I get whether it is chores or fun.

Your planes look great hope you both keep up the good work.

bgfireman 05-08-2010 10:26 PM

Update,
I finally finished mine. It took about 2lbs of bbs to balance in the nose with a TT 46 on the front. I maidened it with two flights on Thursday. It flew with no problems. A few clicks of elevator and all was well. The engine got hot and quit in the air. I turned her into the wind and landed in the field just off the runway. No problems. Next flight landed on the runway. It is a nice plane and flies well, but I decided it was not for me and traded it at the LHS. I went in the next day to see it in the store. It had already sold. Wow!
Anyway good luck with yours guys
Alan

albo752004 05-11-2010 02:09 PM

Hi Alan

Congradulations on finishing your plane, sorry that it was not quite what you were hoping for. Mine is currently being covered by a friend, he finished the fuse and returned it,
unfortunately his heart was not really in it and he's doing a rather poor job. I guess I'm going to have to learn to cover myself or take what I get !! I was shocked to hear that
yours reqiured 2lbs of nose weight to balance, that probably put your final weight at over 7lbs. Hope to have mine finished in the next couple of weeks I'll let you know how it
worked out and post a couple of pics. Happy flying.

Allen