RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   How do you transport your warbirds? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9377217-how-do-you-transport-your-warbirds.html)

tfarmer96 01-01-2010 09:30 AM

How do you transport your warbirds?

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to see how you guys are transporting your Warbirds to the field/events. You get a cargo trailer then your faced with the task of finishing it out with racks flooring and all that good stuff. I picked up my new cargo trailer this week and need to get her finished out for the upcoming warbird event season

mwunsworth 01-02-2010 02:19 PM

RE: How do you transport your warbirds?

Very nice trailer. That should take care of all your field transport needs. Here is another thread that shows various ways to outfit your trailer. Might be helpful.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11.../tm.htm#117335

How are you storing the trailer? On your property? I live in a sub that prohibits storing anything like this in the driveway, etc and my lot is rather small.

gary9648 01-02-2010 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my photo of my trailer, and I made a removable shelf so that I can use the trailer to haul other things along with my models. I have mine parked on a pad next to my driveway. I would reccomend a minimum of a 12X6 cargo trqilewr and make sure it has a side door to get to the front of the trqiler for loading. Also I personally woul;d reccomend getting one with torshion bar suspension instead of the leaf spring version. The latter will bounce more when not heavily loaded as most of the time with models. I have had three motorcycles in mine at the same time and have pulled them thousands of miles with no problems.

aghost 01-02-2010 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics of my trailer. Made a 1500 mile round trip and another couple thousand miles of shorter trips with this setup.Still have room to add some stuff if needed.

Brian

tfarmer96 01-02-2010 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good could you post some photos of the removable racks? I put the floor down today. I will be installing new walls soon. It has 1/2 ply on the sides I am going to put an additional 3/4 ply on it so I will have at least an inch of wood to screw to. This is a 14X7 vnose so its 16 down the center. Aghost thats a nice setup.

NCIS 01-03-2010 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my 3/4 ton GMC cargo van. Cargo area 10.5' x 5.75'. I need to carpedt the floor and walls and put in pegboards and shelf half way up to carry more than two of them.

Barry

Scott Douglas 01-03-2010 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.. Vauxhall (GM). Its all panelled with a 3/4 shelf so I can fit 4 large warbirds. Next to add is dual batteries and a charging station. The caravan's our home from home when we're at the shows. My wife enjoys her comforts!! :D

Scotty

NCIS 01-04-2010 04:56 PM

Nice, does the roof of the trailer raise for added headroom?

Barry

Flak 01-04-2010 08:43 PM

X

Scott Douglas 01-05-2010 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Barry,

No there's plenty of headroom in there.. it does have a large side awning that doubls the living space...

Meschmidt 01-05-2010 05:29 PM

Terry, you might want to consider getting some magnetic signs or decals made to go on the trailer that says "John's Pest Control and Pool Cleaning Services". Or " Joe's Sewage Treatment Services" or something of that nature to deter the punks and thieves from breaking in to it. Mostly they break in just to see what's in it. Also a wheel boot is the best deterrent if they decide they do want that real nice trailer! Most thefts are done from motel parking lots. I don't mean to sound negative, but just a thought you need to consider. Paul

tfarmer96 01-05-2010 06:17 PM

I have it insured for that reason but it would suck to have to replace planes. I am going to use Elfa shelving this will give me the most adjustability and I figure I can get 6 warbirds and 2 acrobats in it with no problem. I am in the process of ordering the graphix now.

Meschmidt 01-07-2010 06:04 PM

Acrobats??? Awww man! P.

tfarmer96 01-07-2010 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I break my 50cc motors in on a wildhare 540 and the da 85s in aeroworks 260 it’s a necessary evil. Have to get them to the field aswell I got my 12 v florescent lights.

Live Wire 01-07-2010 07:14 PM

On an air craft carrier

tfarmer96 01-07-2010 07:20 PM

Your asking about the lights right? I want to make sure i have plenty of light on the inside.

mjjolley 01-07-2010 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A trailer with torsion axles is the best way to haul warbirds in my opinion. Here are a few pics of mine. Since these were taken I've added a microwave and other small amenities. What a great way to haul airplanes!

Matt Jolley
www.warbirdradio.com

tfarmer96 01-16-2010 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my 3/4 ply installed today.

nemesis4u 01-16-2010 07:46 PM

looking good Terry...
looking on with interest....

=-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"

www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]

tfarmer96 01-16-2010 08:02 PM

Well this was the easy part. My next job is to paint the walls white. Now what to build to hold the planes that’s the hard part. I have discovered my idea about elfa isn’t going to cut it.

tfarmer96 01-23-2010 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got the inside painted today before the rain started. I think it makes it look much better.

G-Pete 02-26-2010 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: NCIS
Here is my 3/4 ton GMC cargo van. Cargo area 10.5' x 5.75'. I need to carpedt the floor and walls and put in pegboards and shelf half way up to carry more than two of them.
Barry
Good idea Barry,

I just got me a E350 1 ton, extra long 15 pass.
Ripped all the stuff inside out and cut the roof for the 24 inch roof top. The clearance is now inside 6'2". The good thing on the passenger version - the extra heater and A/C for the back :D:D

A few weeks and this puppy will be done....

tfarmer96 02-26-2010 11:33 AM

looks good Pete

Thunderbolt47 02-26-2010 06:27 PM

Terry, What did you come up with for your trailer?
Kelly

tfarmer96 02-26-2010 06:34 PM

Im going to put Burch ply racks on one sides it looks like it will let me put 6 warbirds on the wall and 2 acrobats on the floor. A guy form Kenner La. sent over some great photos of his trailer and i am going copy his idea. Im being sent over seas for a month so all work on all my stuff is halted for a while. I hate when work gets in the way of my hobby.