RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   screaming siren (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9458003-screaming-siren.html)

Andrew_S 01-29-2010 09:07 AM

screaming siren

Anyone know where to get a siren for a stuka?

Dc8Hunter 01-29-2010 09:26 AM

RE: screaming siren

I'm looking for the same thing. My brother is trying to track down a guy in houston that has a source for an audio system that will play different electronic recordings loud enough to be heard in flight. I have heard a couple of these systems in flight and they are just what we are looking for. If he finds out something, I will post it on here.

irocbsa 01-29-2010 10:10 AM

I have read that JC Whitney sells a miniature siren that is somewhat close to the Jericho Trumpet's sound, but I haven't looked for myself yet.

Greg Wright 01-29-2010 11:40 AM

I've seen people use the little whistles that you mount on your cars to distract deer from running out in front of you. They sound pretty realistic and are a lot cheaper than any electronic devises sold.

G-Pete 01-29-2010 01:02 PM

Greg, must be other then Deer whistles - they suppose to work in ultrasound, the human can't hear that frequency.

spaceworm 01-29-2010 01:10 PM

I have not tried one, but how about an electronic siren as used in car alarms. They are loud and should be fairly small and light. Maybe get one at an auto salvage (recycling/junk) yard??

Spychalla Aircraft 01-29-2010 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love dive sirens on a Stuka and realize there is a wide open market opportunity. The problem is proper design and cost.

A company out of Kansas City named I4C used to make the siren I have here in the pictures. It is fantastic and used to sell for about $140. They went out of business so the sirens are no longer available. I have reverse engineered the components and had them quoted by a local CNC house. It quickly became cost prohibitive to make these sirens. This may be what I4C learned and the reason they quit making them. A batch of 50 would have required a selling price of around $200 each to make it worthwhile. Nobody is going to buy them.

With that strategy turning up to be a failure I have been playing with some lower cost alternatives. Nothing to show from my development yet but the way I figure it the market demand would be strong at around $50 each. So that is what I am shooting for. Not sure if it can be done. My next steps are to test a low cost prototype this spring and see if it holds together.

I have that JCWhitney Siren brand new if anyone wants to buy it and play with it. First $20 takes it. I will cover the shipping. Send me a PM.

Leo Spychalla
Spychalla Aircraft LLC

G-Pete 01-29-2010 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah Leo, I have one of them too. Years ago the propeller broke off the I4C made a halfway fix. Anyhow these are as loud as a firetruck or louder
The inner parts don't need to be alu a good plastic would do the job.

My suggestion would be a small electric motor (RC) to drive the siren - this eliminates the prop and the brake servo. I'm the first to order when you get that done!

vertical grimmace 01-29-2010 02:11 PM

What would be important to me would be to find an accurate sound. I heard all of these offerings on youtube and such and thye just did not sound realistic. I guess the first place to start is to track down exactly what they sounded like and work from there. I have heard that the sirens were essentially an air raid siren mounted in the spat. Not sure though. Certainly would be a market for this with all of the Stukas about.

irocbsa 01-29-2010 02:18 PM

How does the JC Whitney siren sound? Is it even close to the full scale siren? I'm assuming its a simple electric siren with positive and negative connections. What are the dimensions?

spaceworm 01-29-2010 02:31 PM

Here is a lnk to one of many offerings from a Google search: https://www.superiorhorns.com/viking...FRXyDAoddQj7EA

You can listen to how they sound from the website. Goodluck

G-Pete 01-29-2010 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: spaceworm
Here is a lnk to one of many offerings from a Google search: https://www.superiorhorns.com/viking...FRXyDAoddQj7EA
You can listen to how they sound from the website. Goodluck
Good link! - with the right RPM you can simulate the Stuka sound, I guess.

Edwin 01-29-2010 03:13 PM

I have a couple of the JC whitney sirens. The pitch is too high at full voltage (12v I think). In my spare time I will be doing some more experiments like slowing down the motor to try and get the right pitch, then stagger the slots to get the dual pitches. I removed the air scoop on one of mine to trim it down. At about $30 each its worth playing with for the time being.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/MINI_MOTOR-...;0;2001354;0;0
Edwin

Almost forgot - Pete, Pete, Pete, what did you do to that Sig Sundancer.

CGAV8R 01-29-2010 11:10 PM

Ok guys I'm going to throw something in here. I was flying my Yak and all the sudden a strange noise started. The noise souned just like the Stuka sirens I have heard. The noise was a thin strip of loose monokote vibrating in the wind stream. Why couldn't you use a monokote strip mounted to a plate somewhere inconspicuios. It really sounds like a siren and it's pitch changes the faster you go (dive).
Aaron D.

Spychalla Aircraft 01-30-2010 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In order to study how sirens made noise I purchased 3 of the sirens that JCWhitney had to offer. All driven by 12 volts. I didn't intent to mount them to a plane but rather to look at the mechanisms they use to make noise. The first 2 on the left are pretty light and could be incorporated into large planes. The one on the far right is electronic rather than motor driven and it is very heavy. All or any one of them are for sale for $20 each. They are brand new. I will pay the shipping in the continental U.S. Leo

jbdismukes 01-30-2010 09:49 AM

Try this link

[link]http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/rcsound.html[/link]

Widow Maker 02-03-2010 03:58 AM

Another option perhaps.

www.coolstuffcheap.com/acme-orchestral-siren-whistle.html

I have no idea how loud it would be but it would have the advantage of being air powered as on a full scale Stuka.

(first post....be gentle http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif)

G-Pete 02-03-2010 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Edwin
Almost forgot - Pete, Pete, Pete, what did you do to that Sig Sundancer.
Not a SIG that's a Wild Hare Ultimate...

Spychalla Aircraft 02-03-2010 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: G-Pete

Yeah Leo, I have one of them too. Years ago the propeller broke off the I4C made a halfway fix. Anyhow these are as loud as a firetruck or louder
The inner parts don't need to be alu a good plastic would do the job.

My suggestion would be a small electric motor (RC) to drive the siren - this eliminates the prop and the brake servo. I'm the first to order when you get that done!
G-Pete, Yes, My I4C prop broke off the front too after the second time I used it. I then tried it without the driving prop and it wasn't very loud. I was able to fix it by mounting a very low pitch APC prop on the front. I found a 6 X 3 and it is fantastic. If you think about it you have to go down on the pitch to get the RPM. I figure that I get about 20,000 RPM out of that siren in a 90 mph dive. People have heard it for over 1.5 miles when I do it. That is some noise!

You have to really respect the I4C guys as they did so much right. It was a fantastic product. But with as much as they did right they sure missed when it came to the propeller an the price. The CNC cut propeller with all the stress risers in is was doomed to failure from the start. Too bad they didn't stick with it long enough to create greater durability and cut cost with alternative materials.

Aluminum is out. Too costly. Yes, plastic is the direction. You and I see it the same way. But I cannot give away all my ideas or secrets on how I am going to develop this siren. If I do that then somebody else will beat me to the punch and I will have nothing. My goal is to work it up through some prototypes this spring and then introduce it if I have success. If the whole thing flies apart at 20,000 rpm, then I will have nothing. So we will see. Leo

G-Pete 02-03-2010 02:19 PM

Alright, I'm looking forward to this one Leo - as I said before you got your first order.

ProScaleRc 02-03-2010 04:36 PM

I didn't check all the links so I hope I'm not writing the same thing as someone else. There is an easy, cheap alternative. There is a cheap foam wing slope soaring kit called The Bee. That kit contains two small plastic screamers that work with the airflow (the faster you go, the louder the scream). I mounted them in the radiator ducts under the wings which is hidden nicely and works a treat.

nine o nine 02-03-2010 06:07 PM

There is an I4C siren available in S. Albany NY. It's in the woods to the east of the hangars at the airport. It was lost when my Z-Stuka went in due to reversed ailerons!!!! What an idiot I was that day. I'm sure it's still there along with a battery pack. Mitch

Rebel Flyer 02-03-2010 10:57 PM

Leo,

Count me in, for the second one on order...I can pay you when I see you soon.

Rebel

Corsair 29 02-04-2010 11:03 AM

I'm curious, by looking at the pics in post #7 has anyone tried to make a siren out of a small brushless outrunner motor. Maybe the windings and the magnets can be removed, open some holes on the outer can. With the prices of some of these motors dirt cheap from china, it might be worth a try.

Edwin 02-04-2010 04:33 PM

Well the JC Whitney siren gets close to the desired pitch/tone at 5vdc. 12vdc gets you a shrill high pitched tone, no good. The motor would definately need replacing since its brushed. Those in the past that have tried it had interference problems with the radio. I figure a brusless magnet motor OR a prop drive would get us close.
Edwin