RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM P47 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9469385-esm-p47-build.html)

mmn 10-12-2010 06:31 AM

RE: ESM P47 Build

ORIGINAL: oldtimer4759

hi,
nice field, no problems getting it off the ground, good flight. how did you attach your cowl and are you happy with it.

happy flying, Oldtimer.
The Du-Bro EZ Mount Cowl System for .90 and Above Size Aircraft. Used four of them. Not pretty, but I knew I'd be taking the cowl off a lot at first and I wanted something easy. Works fine.

http://www.dubro.com/hobby/ecatalog/dubro/00031.htm

Regards
Michael

mmn 10-12-2010 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot
Nice flying!

I wish we had this kind of weather up here in the high north now....

Cheers
Yes, I lived in Denmark for a few years and I can only guess that it doesn't get any better the further north you go. :)

I think the Aerovate pulls it ok now that it's broken in and loosened up, but it was quite scary at first. I think if I had it to do again I'd put a DLE 30 or something similar in there, based on what some of my friends have experienced with similar sized ESM warbirds.

Hilsen regards
Michael

P47Pilot 10-12-2010 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: mmn

Nice flying!

I wish we had this kind of weather up here in the high north now....

Cheers
Yes, I lived in Denmark for a few years and I can only guess that it doesn't get any better the further north you go. :)

I think the Aerovate pulls it ok now that it's broken in and loosened up, but it was quite scary at first. I think if I had it to do again I'd put a DLE 30 or something similar in there, based on what some of my friends have experienced with similar sized ESM warbirds.

Hilsen regards
Michael

That would be a correct guesshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

I am absolutely with you on the conclusion about engines. A DLE30 would be great. for this plane

I myself had the feeling that the plane was underpowered with the Evo26 when I used a Mejzlik 16X9 3B propeller. It lumbered around in the sky ready to fall down any minute. The 2B Mejzlik 18X8 worked much better. Getting some time on the engine also helps.

You showed some smooth flying there, so I was hoping to see a video of a smooth landing as well! I just love those!

mmn 10-12-2010 07:14 AM

That would be a correct guess[img][/img]

I am absolutely with you on the conclusion about engines. A DLE30 would be great. for this plane

I myself had the feeling that the plane was underpowered with the Evo26 when I used a Mejzlik 16X9 3B propeller. It lumbered around in the sky ready to fall down any minute. The 2B Mejzlik 18X8 worked much better. Getting some time on the engine also helps.

You showed some smooth flying there, so I was hoping to see a video of a smooth landing as well! I just love those!

Yes, well, there's a reason for everything. It wasn't smooth and he thought the camera was on, but it wasn't... :)

Regards
Michael

P47Pilot 10-12-2010 08:02 AM

Nonetheless, all is well with the Jug, I hope?

</p>

mmn 10-12-2010 12:35 PM

Nonetheless, all is well with the Jug, I hope?

</p>
More or less. Gotta repair the other landing gear mount now. Didn't quite make it to the short grass.

Regards
Michael

oldtimer4759 11-02-2010 11:26 PM

Hi all,
Did the maiden on mine today, then her sister, both flights went very well, set up is DLE 30, ESM retracts, prop is JXF 19 x 8, new engine, I ran about 1/2 a litre of fuel through it, the idle is good, 1700 top rpm is a bit over 7k. weight is a bit over 14 lbs, no lead, all batteries up behind the firewall, 2x2000mah 5 cell packs and 1x2000mah 4 cell for the engine. I used the supplied fuel tank, but I moved it back a bit on the tray.

heaps of power, heaps of speed, this is a very nice model to fly, went up high and did a stall test, no sign of wing drop, even with full flap and wheels down, even nice and easy to land, just keep a bit of power on, first landing was with half flap, second with full flap,

the book states about 135mm for C of G, mine turned out at about 130, the 25% rule would be about 105mm, anyone interested in a test flight on this model, DONT go any further than 130, in fact mine is marginal at that, ( very little down elev required when inverted, tends to keep flying level at the top of a loop ) they like a bit of Aileron travel, I flew on low rate Elevator, (about half an inch travel ) I like to use full sticks.

a very nice model, Cheers, Oldtimer

twn 04-26-2011 11:22 PM

I ordered my esm p47 & retracts last week and my dle30 just arived today!

I am curious, what spinner are you guys using? I'm guessing Tru-turn 1.5" by 2"? a or b style (lip or no lip...) Is 1.5" diameter wide enough?

I'll probably go with a carbon fiber mejzlik 18-10 but I don't know what hub and diameter of hub would look best. I don't know the the diameter across the width of the center of the prop either.

Does any one know the diameter across the hub of the carbon fiber mejzlik 18-10?

oldtimer4759 04-27-2011 03:16 PM

Hi, as I said earlier, this is a very nice model to fly, with the DLE 30 it has real rock solid presence in the air, a friend made me a spinner, it is the right shape, it is recessed and just covers the 4 bolts that hold the prop in place, looks good and adds just a bit of weight. Dont take any notice of the book C of G, go by the info in here, it needs a bit of Aileron, but not very much Elevator, it wouldnt hurt to give it a bit of Right thrust, the DLE 30 will fit inside the cowl, with the muffler on, the 18 x 10 prop will be fast, mine has heaps of speed with the 19 x 8
cheers, Oldtimer.

twn 05-24-2011 10:44 PM

What did you guys use to glue the landing gear plastic inserts in with, as well as the belly pan? It looks like the e6000 glue that esm suggests is not available in Canada. I tried to get it today with no luck.

twn 05-25-2011 12:24 AM

You know that doesn't make sence... Shoo Goo & SealALL are also made by the same company as e6000 (Eclectric Products) Both are available in Canada. Soo... Walmart, Superstore, Zellers all lied to me... (They said it wasn't available in Canada...DOH! [>:])

So I wonder who carries it in Canada.... I looked in as many stores in Vernon as I could get to today. No luck. [:o]

Revy 05-25-2011 07:55 AM

I used good ol 30 min epoxy on the FW-190, Tom. Just be sure when cutting to leave more lip than they show. I had a much easier time with the second one just because I left about a 1/4" more lip from the scribe line. Looks better too. I traced the outline onto the wing and cut away the covering, leaving a bit of an overlap, to expose the balsa underneath. 120 grit the plastic insert, woodpecker the balsa and epoxied into place with lots of tape and weight to hold firmly in place forcing the edges down. I'm finished the wing and most of the guts....my 10S Eflite P-160 install is throwing me a bit of a curve ball though. The retracts work well on the bench and keep air pressure too. Surprising after hearing all the bad things about these. ;)

oldtimer4759 05-25-2011 02:58 PM

hi, I didnt use the plastic wheel wells, I found they restricted the travel and the wheels didnt go up quite enough, stood out proud a bit, so I filled them in with balsa sheet, if you do go with the plastic inserts, cut them under hot water, then trim them with your "Dremel"
I used the ESM retracts, pulled every bolt or screw out and put them back with Silastic, squirt a bit of Silicon spray into the air lines every so often, mine will hold air for weeks, I also greased the struts, I mounted the air tank under the wing, that way all the air system is on the wing, no joiners.
This is a nice model to fly, go forward a bit on the CofG, be careful with your elevator throws.
have fun with it. Oldtimer

tometermas 06-19-2011 02:48 AM

Hi there.
I am new here. [8D]

I have just orderd the P 47 Thunderbolt from ESM. Its the silver version,that I like best.:D

Now, I got a brand new LASER 200 W and was thinking of installing it to the 47. Do you fellers think it will be a sort of overkill with that 30 cc engine ?

Tomas. ;)

tom2bell 06-19-2011 06:16 AM

It is fine I fly my P-47 with a DLE 30cc gas. Its alot of fun. I started with a CRC 26cc which was fine but the 30cc is the ticket!
Tom:D

tometermas 06-19-2011 07:06 AM

That great Tom. Ill try to go with that.
I will make a photo series of my project when it comes to the engine set up.;)

Now, that P47 IS a nice bird. I allways loved it. :D

Tomas.

twn 06-20-2011 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Revy

I used good ol 30 min epoxy on the FW-190, Tombr/>
Thanks Jay, ya I used 30 min too. I cut away the covering "just" inside of the wheel wells and drilled 1/16 holes through out in the wood, thin ca the balsa and sanded the wheel wells with 50 grit. The bond will be stupid strong... My retracts fit great. I went with the robart vrx air kit.

LMAO I clamped the parts together with tape, waited 35 min to start the kik then pulled the clamps and cleaned with iso like a maniac. no visable epoxy anywhere.

I'm starting the dle30 setup now. slow goin with my stupid 12 hour shifts. lol work too dang much...

tometermas 06-20-2011 07:07 AM

Hey, Canada,How its going over there ? LOOONg time since I was there :D 1985, BC. Fort st. john.

Tomas.

twn 06-28-2011 09:27 AM

What did you guys use for pushrods to the elevator? The instructions state that 6mm fiberglass rods are included in the kit but mine came with cheepo 1/4" wood dowel. Is the dowel adequate for the elevator?

Can any of you post some some pics that show your instalation through the fusalage? thanx

P47Pilot 06-28-2011 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: twn

What did you guys use for pushrods to the elevator? The instructions state that 6mm fiberglass rods are included in the kit but mine came with cheepo 1/4" wood dowel. Is the dowel adequate for the elevator?

Can any of you post some some pics that show your instalation through the fusalage? thanx

Hi twn

Here are a couple of pics that I managed to dig out of my old building log for this model back in early 2009, showing the pushrods for the elevators, as per instruction manual.

See also

http://scalewarbird.hopto.org/forum/...hp?topic=636.0

I hope things work out.

Cheers

mmn 06-29-2011 05:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

What did you guys use for pushrods to the elevator?
I like my elevators to work. I used steel pushrods with guide tubes. Two servos.

Regards
Michael

mmn 07-01-2011 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

I'm installing the Sierra retracts in this thing and I've run into a bit of a problem. So I thought I'd ask the experts. Couldn't find any, so I came here... (Small attempt at humor).

As you can see from the pics, the Sierras require 1 3/16" clearance when they deploy because of that nub on the end of the thingie that engages to lock up/down thingie. However there's only 1 1/8" clearance down there in the area underneath over that former. The ESM retracts only require 1 1/16" clearance.

Since that area is already very thin and weak, I don't really want to wallow out any wood there. In fact I'd like to build it up some and reinforce that area. My question is about grinding those nubs down. Or shimming the gear up some to provide the 1/8" clearance.

Regards
Michael

P47Pilot 07-01-2011 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: mmn

Hi

I'm installing the Sierra retracts in this thing and I've run into a bit of a problem. So I thought I'd ask the experts. Couldn't find any, so I came here... (Small attempt at humor).

As you can see from the pics, the Sierras require 1 3/16" clearance when they deploy because of that nub on the end of the thingie that engages to lock up/down thingie. However there's only 1 1/8" clearance down there in the area underneath over that former. The ESM retracts only require 1 1/16" clearance.

Since that area is already very thin and weak, I don't really want to wallow out any wood there. In fact I'd like to build it up some and reinforce that area. My question is about grinding those nubs down. Or shimming the gear up some to provide the 1/8" clearance.

Regards
Michael

Here are my Sierras installed, I had to widen the gap where the gear is mounted a little bit, other than that nothing. The plane has about 100 flights and never a problem with the landing gear.

twn 07-03-2011 08:19 AM

What did you guys use for pushrods to the elevator? The instructions state that 6mm fiberglass rods are included in the kit but mine came with cheepo 1/4'' wood dowel. Is the dowel adequate for the elevator?

Hi twn

Here are a couple of pics that I managed to dig out of my old building log for this model back in early 2009, showing the pushrods for the elevators, as per instruction manual.

See also

http://scalewarbird.hopto.org/forum/...hp?topic=636.0

I hope things work out.

Cheers

THANKS!! for some reason the enlarged photos dont want to load...

I'm curious did you use the kit supplied dowel and 2mm rods? Is the dowel pushrod adequate? Did you install guides for the dowel at the front fuse former AND the rear former or just the front as the kit suggests?

mmn 07-03-2011 01:03 PM

Here are my Sierras installed, I had to widen the gap where the gear is mounted a little bit, other than that nothing. The plane has about 100 flights and never a problem with the landing gear.
Yours looks a little different. Maybe that mount sits a little higher than mine. I just don't have the clearance to install them without either shimming them, removing some wood where there's not much to remove, or grinding that nub down.

Also, the gap in mine is almost too wide. Puts the screws a little too close to the edge for my comfort.

Regards
Michael

blue77 07-18-2011 12:18 PM

Hey fellas, please keep the forum/thread going....got an ESM P-47 on the way, I've got a couple of bigger ones NIB, but I want this to be my first...hope to add as much scale as I can, will eve using a DLE 30....Later, B7

oldtimer4759 07-18-2011 04:59 PM

hi, I agree, keep this thread going,
they are an excellent model, I have the ESM retracts with a Robart air control, engine is a DLE30, this is a really nice model to fly, for its size it has real presence in the air, with the DLE30 it has heaps of power, big loops, another good thing is this model is nice to land.
the only hassle I have had with mine is the muffler on the DLE30, first off it is noisy, then it keeps coming loose, the noisy bit was reasonably easy to fix, I coated the outside of the muffler in high temp Silastic, with fibre glass wrapping, that made a bit of difference to the noise level, but it still had a real bark, then I found some S Steel mesh, a bit like heavy fly wire, I rolled some of that up and poked it up inside the muffler outlet, only about 1 1/2 turns, just hold it in place with a couple of self tappers, now this did make a difference, this has muffled the sound quite a bit, no more Bark at all, no difference to the RPM,
as to the coming loose bit, it is a common problem, what I have done this time is to throw away the gasket, use a high temp silastic as the gasket, then I bought some long bolts, a couple of big washers, so the bolts are now on the outside of the muffler, lock wired to stop them coming undone, hope this works, I havent flown it since the mod.
the retracts are working like a charm, no problems, just go over the screws and glue them in first, but dont do them up too tight, make sure they are free to cycle. I get at least 5 cycles to a tank of air, my system will hold air for weeks. my air tank is under the wing, so there are no air joiners.
cheers, Oldtimer.

blue77 07-21-2011 02:55 PM

Well the "big brown airplane truck" delivered today, no problems....I got the Frank T. version, for some reason I thought it was going to be gray, but it is green, looks really good....this is going to be a slow(if I can restrain myself) build, I'm going to try to do a lot of scale work and weathering(this is my first time) so any and all ides and advice will be appreciated about doing panel lines, rivets, weathering, etc....and building ...I got the ESM retracts and will be using a DLE 30......Thanks, B7

BlackPhantomDragon 07-21-2011 11:43 PM

Hi B7
Congrats on getting you nice parcel. Will be watching to see what detail you do and how she come together and what scheme you choose for her.

I have often wondered if a DLE20 would power one OK as they seem to be designed for a 120FS which the DLE20 replaces.
Not so much price but smaller foot print and should be easy to make quieter in noise sensitive fields.

All the best and am already subscribed to this great thread.

Regards Greg

oldtimer4759 07-22-2011 02:48 AM

hi,
a DLE 20 would probably be marginal power wise, I have the 30 in mine, it is very good, but another thing is I didnt need any lead to balance it, the DLE 20 is a good bit lighter, so lead or something would have to be used to get the CofG set.
the muffler on the DLE 30 needs some work to quieten it down, but it can be done quite easily. actually the DLE muffler IMO isnt really a muffler, just a re direction device,

Oldtimer.

mmn 07-22-2011 03:41 AM

ORIGINAL: oldtimer4759

hi,
a DLE 20 would probably be marginal power wise,
A 26cc is marginal. Ask me how I know....

Ups the pucker factor, but makes you a better flier.... (they say). :)

Regards
Michael

BlackPhantomDragon 07-23-2011 01:25 AM

Thanks Oldtimer;)

Didn't think about the weight issue before.

Also waiting for the PTE36R 36cc Rear carb, Rear exhaust & Pitts muffler standard.
Looks like might be a good engine especially for slimmer cowl applications.

Regards Greg

oldtimer4759 07-23-2011 02:35 AM

hi, I have seen one of the Syssa 30 engines, rear carby, rear exhaust, they would be terrific in a 51 or a Spitfire, or most War Birds, but the cost, is the problem, in Aus they are nearly $500.
I run 3 battery packs in my 47, 2 for the receiver, 1 for the engine, so with the 3 packs right up front it helps for the CofG, but there is no lead.
Oldtimer.

blue77 07-23-2011 02:42 AM

Hello Oldtimer...Is there any way you could post a few pics of the servo setups and how the push rods are routed and connected to the tail feathers....the instructions are just about useless....thanks for all your input....B7

BlackPhantomDragon 07-23-2011 03:23 AM

The PTE36R 36cc will be available from http://www.wolfmodels.net/PTE36R.html from the 27/07/11.
Brian Winch did a review of the Pterodactyl PTE50i in Airborne and seemed to give it a good review. Copy here at the bottom http://www.wolfmodels.net/PTE50i.html.

The Syssa 30 looks nice but when I looked at price thought was a bit expensive for my wallet.

Wolf Models is in Queensland. I have been out once to have a look at some stuff with a friend. Bob at Wolf is a nice guy and was interesting to here his thoughts on different questions I asked. Bought a few things via post as well and they are usually at my door a couple of days after the order is done.

Regards Greg

oldtimer4759 07-24-2011 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello B7,
I have 1 servo for each elevator, each on a separate channel, (my choice), I used the fitted Push Rod sleeves, but I put a better quality push rod inside them, with solid wire inside that,
I have the air tank mounted in the Belly Pan, under the wing, that way all the air system is on the wing, a few less items to leak, the air valve is a Robart,
the fuel tank is back where it is to ease Trim changes during flight and nose over problems on the ground, although this model is very stable on the ground. the tail wheel is the same as a Du-Bro 957, bought it from HK,
Oldtimer.

blue77 07-24-2011 04:12 AM

Oldtimer...Thanks again. I like your tail wheel setup...mine has a hatch at that location, don't know how I'll work around that....onw more question please....what spinner/hub did you use that will work with the DLE 30...Thanks again, B7

oldtimer4759 07-24-2011 02:35 PM

hello B7,
the tail wheel was a real stretch, 1 hand to hold it in place, the other right up inside the fuselage, was a bit tricky,
the spinner I have on mine is one a mate turned up for me, solid, hollowed out a bit so it just fits over the bolts, to hold it on he tapped a thread up inside the spinner, locked a length of thread into it, then just wind it on, tight, will handle a starter. I normally only use the stater to get the engine primed, then it is only a flick or two and it starts.
Oldtimer

blue77 07-25-2011 05:27 AM

Little help please....about to order parts to complete....I got the ESM retracts, besides a pump do I need any other parts, I've never done retracts before? What spinner/hub for the DLE 30? Thanks, B7

twn 07-25-2011 07:58 AM

Dont use the kit supplied air parts. get a robart vrx air kit. i guess the kit supplied air tank is ok but replace the lines, filling nipple, quick connects (if u r using them) and valve. the vrx has a variable valve.

As for the spinner there really isnt a hub/spinner or at least that I could find that was a direct fit to the dle30 for a p47. I bought a 1 3/8" tru-turn hub and had my local machine shop guy plung the holes deeper into the spiner to allow the engine prop/hub bolts to fit and had him ream the center hole to 10mm for a very precise fit. Get yerslef a dle30 prop drill guide too.

I am steering completely away from the kit designed servo to elevator and rudder setup. I'm using .08 carbon pushrods jbwelded into 2mm couplings with nylon tubes running to the tail. Split elevator... Half the weight of steel and just as strong. I would have used a .09 carbon rod which is the same as 4-40 rod but both of our suppliers great planes and composite store doesn't list it. My rudder will have a dual dubro 2-56 pull-pull to the rudder and tail wheel off of one servo. I'll be putting my rudder servo in the center of the plane and tossed the center-to-side pull pull tubes. All of my servos are 5645 running off of [email protected] I used 5985 on the flaps, yes extreme overkill but I had them. I will change them out to 5645 later. The throttle will be a 5625 and the retract servo will be a 5485.

Oh and I managed to fit both ignition battery and ignition into the cowel. I decided to install smoke. Going with the sullivan skywriter with a 3cell lipo 11.1v. For the smoke oil tank I'm using a slanted oval 12 oz sulivan tank mounted on the cieling of the plane. I used a jtec rear dump pitts muffler. I had to dremmel halfway through the dump tubes and bend them forward and get the machine shop to weld it up. but it fits nicley now.