RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM 50cc Corsair (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9758940-esm-50cc-corsair.html)

sahill 06-29-2010 12:57 PM

RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

I am considering the ESM 50cc Corsair ARF...any comments - good, bad or indifferent?

Shaun Evans 06-29-2010 01:14 PM

Anyone know of anyone currently building one of these who also has a camera? ;)

kwik 06-29-2010 02:32 PM

Paps, when I enter that address in google, I end up in Birmingham, not in London.

Paps 06-29-2010 04:08 PM

kwik does it matter really? I mean YT are the only ones in England that sell these anyway.

kwik 06-29-2010 04:56 PM

I see. Yes, it matters to me. I will visit London for the Duxford show.

Will be there a couple of days.

Dont think I can go all the way to Birmingham, though.

vasek 06-29-2010 10:56 PM

kwik, keep an eye on Lindinder. They show "out of stock" for now. They ship free in Europe

http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=85064

Paps 06-30-2010 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: kwik

I see. Yes, it matters to me. I will visit London for the Duxford show.

Will be there a couple of days.

Dont think I can go all the way to Birmingham, though.
Well in that case you should just contact them.
You will also find them on this forum: http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/

Growler84 06-30-2010 12:40 PM

I have the gear and I am happy to report they are very well done. Definately a cut above the usual Chinatracks. I checked them under 100 psi pressure and the down locks work well however, there is no up lock mechanism. With 100psi on the cylinder it doesn't take a lot of pressure on the strut to force it down. So, the gear will likely sag under typical model g-loadings. One solution I'm entertaining is going with the lightest wheels possible. The other solution is retrofitting a Robart-style spring-loaded latch that will have to be disengaged with a seperate servo cable pull. Obviously the second choice is more complex and drives a 2 switch hit requirement to get the gear down. I looked at using movement from the cylinder itself ala Robart and this won't work because the Robart set up uses a floating cylinder mount and the ESM mechanism doesn't.

This is certainly a minor issue and I maintain these are still very nice gear.

No, I don't have time to muck around with pictures.

fockewulf37 06-30-2010 01:17 PM

Does the gear move the 110 degrees or 90 degrees. I talked Sierra and there's is going to be greater then 90 degrees to stop the nose over problem the the 90 degree gear may cause....

Growler84 07-01-2010 08:43 AM

They are 90 degree units. It should not be a problem because we fly off of pavement. The increased rake is a good idea however.

GotSky 07-07-2010 03:12 AM

Well I'm still waiting on UPS for my claims to be settled or even better inspected - they told me there is a 3 to 5 week back log of claims. (tells you something about the amount of stuff they smash up) I really wanted to get this build under way but here I sit and wait. :( On top of everything else my TopFlite Giant Scale Mustang went in this weekend and is a total write off. Nothing like a dead stick right on climb out, pushed the nose down but she wasn't having it. Rolled over and went straight in.

Shaun Evans 07-07-2010 01:19 PM

Ouch.

Sorry to hear that. What happened? I'm surprised to hear that nosing it over wasn't enough to keep it flying....

fly4mation 07-07-2010 01:29 PM

Has anyone flown this aircraft yet? I am very near completion on mine and was hoping to hear some feedback on flight characteristics, and if recomended cg and throws etc were a good starting. point. I have flown the 74in version and like how it handles .

GotSky 07-07-2010 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My climb out was at a pretty good angle but the engine sputtered I feathered the stick and it came back on but just as soon as it did that it went dead. In that short amount of time and altitude I lost some forward momentum and just didn't have the space (air) for it to recover. I was able to hit high rates about 10 feet off the deck and pulled a hard flare but it still went in at about 30deg took the entire nose back to the wing with it. The engine after it broke lose then decided it wanted to join the wing - which it did . And I must say it made nice work of the left side gear / mid section.

Here are a couple picture of my ESM gear for the Corsair. Each one had screws that were backed out or very, very lose. I will be pulling each one out and putting on some lock tight. In all they look very nice and very strong.

GotSky 07-07-2010 08:11 PM

I don't know if it helps but this plane is almost identical to the Top Flight Corsair in size and wing. I'm going with the Top flight recommendations on mine for throws. My buddy's wing mounts up perfect to the ESM fuselage and the length and weight are so close. Hope that helps a little. You can get the Topflight instructions right off of Tower Hobbies or Top Flights web sight. . The ESM fuselage is about 1/8" wider at the saddle but that's about it!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHU95&P=ML

Here is the video I shot of his first flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnNVSSB0nH4

Shaun Evans 07-07-2010 11:50 PM

Gotsky,

Geez. How can you be so naive and belligerent? You posted PICS to this thread?!?!?!? Oh! And don't even get me started on VIDEO. Haven't you been reading this thread? Didn't you notice that folks seemed to decide that there would be no pics posted to this thread in order to spite the couple of guys that had the nerve to ask for them?? Get with it, dude..... ;)

BTW, your buddy made that Corsair look reeeeaaaallll good.

GotSky 07-08-2010 02:46 AM

Yep, I am a rebel!! That is for sure! LOL.. The Top Flite kit took him about a year to build, glass and weather. It turned out very nice and fly's great with the Zenoha G62 and I think a 22x10 Carbon prop. I will be posting a bunch more pictures once I get started on my build. I will try to do a couple here and there as I finish steps along the way. I'm still not sure I like the cylinder engine mount set up. After it is glued in there is no access past the second bulkhead in the front. Meaning build your batteries in the front for weight but never be able to get to them again once you do. I think I may mill the bottom of the cylinder part out so I have (all be it small) some access to the front fire wall from behind. Also if you get the plane or plan on building it get rid of the cheap pin hinges that come with the kit!. They are for a 25 size glow plane or smaller and are of poor quality. You will see what I mean after some pressure is applied laterally. They stretch and are just plane weak and way to small.

GotSky 07-08-2010 02:52 AM

Oh and just let me know what you want to see and i will take a picture of it it might take a day or 2 but I will get it done for ya.

hippo-1216 07-08-2010 05:19 AM

GotSky If you could post some pic. of the flap hinge line and the angle you put them on that would be great thanks

Paps 07-08-2010 09:30 AM

GotSky maybe if you could just post the pictures of the build along the way. That would be nice :)

Shaun Evans 07-08-2010 10:08 AM

Gotsky,

And you'll ever be known as the man who rehabilitated this thread!

GotSky 07-08-2010 06:36 PM

I am the healer. Please help support my cause and send your money too......The more you give the more I buy...!

GotSky 07-08-2010 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hippo. no problem. The set up looks pretty straight forward, Once I get everything lined up and set up I will put a few pictures up for ya. The slider boards in between each flap will take the most time. As it is only one side of each flap is slotted. I will probably just use some water base paint apply that to the side that has the pre cut slot ( the area of the cut out will be with out paint) lay it down flat on my work bench and press the side with the paint up against the side that needs to be cut. That will leave a perfect line where the slot line will line up. Then mark it, wipe away the paint and cut the new slot. Hope that makes sense.

As for the hinges. I'm going to do my best to get them as flush as possible. I think I might go with Hysol glue as that is what I use on my Composite planes but Gorilla might do as well. But I am speaking before I have really had a chance to look it all over I will keep you posted

Pulled it out of the box to kick things off. I still can not start building as I am waiting on UPS.

nemesis4u 07-09-2010 12:33 AM

GENTS (and LADIES)

Just an FYI.. SOME or most of you will note in your retracts you are missing the TILLER ARM and tailwheel
If you ordered from us @ VQWARBIRDS please let us know if this infact is the case...
If you ordered from TBM let them know as well
CHINA/ESM is sending the parts asap to TBM DISTRIBUTION
we will get everyone taken care of...
JUST WANTED TO COME FORWARD and let you know..
WE always try our best to provide best communication as possible...

BTW... YES we are excited about pushing on with SIERRA FOR THE SIERRA ESM 50cc RETRACTS!!

WE HAVE THE SIERRA ESM 50cc SPITFIRE RETRACTS INSTOCK READY TO SHIP NOW!
http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...2c000ea5a4764c

we do have the 50cc CORSAIR COCKPIT KITS INSTOCK TOO (thanks TYS PLANES)
http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...2c000ea5a4764c

LOVE YOU GUYS!!

-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"

www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]

kwik 07-09-2010 02:28 AM

ORIGINAL: GotSky

hippo. no problem. The set up looks pretty straight forward, Once I get everything lined up and set up I will put a few pictures up for ya. The slider boards in between each flap will take the most time. As it is only one side of each flap is slotted. I will probably just use some water base paint apply that to the side that has the pre cut slot ( the area of the cut out will be with out paint) lay it down flat on my work bench and press the side with the paint up against the side that needs to be cut. That will leave a perfect line where the slot line will line up. Then mark it, wipe away the paint and cut the new slot. Hope that makes sense.

As for the hinges. I'm going to do my best to get them as flush as possible. I think I might go with Hysol glue as that is what I use on my Composite planes but Gorilla might do as well. But I am speaking before I have really had a chance to look it all over I will keep you posted

Pulled it out of the box to kick things off. I still can not start building as I am waiting on UPS.
Good Grief what a beauteful airplane!!!

MUST RESIST BUYING ONE! MUST RESIST! MUST RESIST! Arrrghhh.
:D:D:):)