Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

buying tips for battle ships , please help

Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

buying tips for battle ships , please help

Old 04-18-2005, 04:17 PM
kingfisher29150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying tips for battle ships , please help

im looking to buy a scale model battle ship ,
and i dont really want to buy some peice of junk
and since im a noob to rc i dont know what to look for
and where to look

any help or tips ?

thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: buying tips for battle ships , please help

I guess the first question would be for Combat, or just to sail around the pond.

What size ship are you willing or able to move from home to the pond?

WWII or Modern Navy?

Actual Battlship, or Crusier, or Destroyer?
Old 04-19-2005, 06:01 PM
kingfisher29150

a combat battle ship

and since i have a pick-up truck i could haul up to a 7 footer
but the price is the thing that will limit it
only want to spend up to 800.00
Old 04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Saberwing

Hello.
I have had a long experience in boats. a very nice boat is the bismark (sorry dont know manufacturer only tried friends bismark)at AJ hobby. here is the site: http://www.ajhobby.com/product.asp?pid=1973 or if u wanna see all there boats go to: http://www.ajhobby.com/defaultpage.a...at=Scale+Boats . hope that helped.[8D][&:][:@][:'(][>:][][X(][:-][&o][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=cool.gif][sm=crying.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=disappointed.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=frown.gif][sm=greedy.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=kiss.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=pirate.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=RAINFRO.gif][sm=redface.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=sleeping.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=stupid.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif][sm=surprised.gif][sm=thumbdown.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=tired.gif][sm=tongue.gif][sm=wink.gif]
Old 04-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Tachikaze

Oh if you are looking for combat, then the first thing to decide is whether you plan to join an existing club or start your own. If you are going to join a club, then you want to obtain a bot of the scale they are fighting with.
We always recommend to new members of out 1/72nd scale club to build their wone boat. In this way you have a better understainding of repair and maintance.
If you are looking to join a club, ask their members if there are any spare ships. If you are looking to obtain a 1/72nd ship, check with Umi or I at the start of June, that will be after our first major battle and we will know of any ships for sail.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

You might try contacting
http://www.mwci.org/

And see if they battle, or have any members in your area.
They are a 1/144 club, and a battleship would build out to only 6 feet. [8D]

Most of our ships are scratch built from plans, but for 1/144 scale, a lot of the modelers buy from Swampworks.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Wreno

The Closest Big Guns Club to you might be the Mid Atlantic group at [link=http://mabg.org/]mabg.org/[/link]

The first thing to do is find the nearest club, they can help with advice and may even have a ship a member is willing to sell. My suggestion is to attend some battles first, and see what the ships do, and how they perform.

The Bismark mentioned earlier, while a nice model, it appears, is 1:200 scale, when the common RC Combat scales are 1:144, 1:96, and 1:72.

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby.

Wreno
[link=http://www.ntxbg.org]www.ntxbg.org[/link]
Old 05-06-2005, 11:32 AM
theflyingscotsman

if this is your first time i am also looking at buying a rc warboat and what ive rerad battleships are no begginer boat.go to www.swampworks.com and look at the uss brooklyn dkm lutzow or the uss houston.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Wreno

Actually the best beginner ship ie probably a transport, regardless of the format you intend to battle in. Many can later be armed in Big Guns format. Remember, there are two major formats here, Big Gun (BG) and Small (or Fast) Gun (FG). Swampworks caters largely to FG, so any advice on his web site is aimed in that direction. While a Deutschland or Houston may be a relatively easy build in FG format, it is FAR more difficult than a battleship to build and get right in BG. First thing is to figure out which format you want to battle in (BG or FG). If you want rotating and depressing turrets available, want to arm whatever you can, and so on, go BG. If you want the simplicity of limited guns, which are fixed, and only .177 caliber, (but a higher rate of fire) go FG. Find your local club (this may elp determine your format). Go to meetings and battles. You will quickly come to a decision of what you want to build/battle after a few battles, and you will be able to see what may be available for sale. Read the discussions on both the BigGunsModelWarship Group and the IRCWCC Group (FG) on Yahoo, this is a widely discussed topic.
Further, there is a specific discussion of pros and cons at:
[link=http://rcwarships.msiunix.com/forum/index.php]http://rcwarships.msiunix.com/forum/index.php[/link]

Bottom line - if BG, a large battleship is the rookie ship (Richelieu or Dunkerque being great contenders), cruisers are definitely not for beginners; if FG, smaller ships may well be the rookie ships.