Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Wondering

Old 04-30-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering

Ahoy Boaters, I was wondering how best to get started in this hobby. I've looked at some video streamings and it looks very interesting. I want to know what is the best ship to start with, the best in battle, the cheapest, the easiest to put together. I also want to know if you could use a submarine in battle, and if so, are they any good fighting? Ok, that's it, and please help me.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Wondering

There are a couple groups in and around San Jose.
I will see if we can hook you up.

[8D]
Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Default RE: Wondering

Tucci,

First, there are several formats, divided into the Big Gun class and the Small Gun or Fast Gun class. Both have groups battling in 1:144 scale. Big Gun also has groups that specialize in 1:96 or 1:72 scale. If you want simplicity, Small Gun bay be your bet, although you can go pretty simple in Gig Gun as well (it is just they allow you bigger guns and the option to arm anything 3" or over that the original ship had). In Small Gun, a large destroyer is not terribly difficult to build and arm, but in Big Gun, it is a little tighter on space. In Big Gun, it is generally easier to start with a larger battleship, as there is more room for novice error.

The first thing you want to do is locate the nearby groups - they can help you with the advice you are looking for, and sometimes the ruleset of the club has some effect on which ships are effective, or give most bang for the buck. In Big Gun, I like the Dunkerque or the
Richelieu, personally. But many like the Iowa class. And then, the tiny Espana is a huge amount of fun. A lot depends on how you want to battle, your style, and your personality. Again, go to some battles (many clubs will provide an interested party with a transport to drive), go to some meetings, be active for a while and ask questions, and you will soon develop a hankering for a specific ship (or ships),

Both the Big Guns guys and the Small Gun guys (they really like to be called Fast Gun, by the way) have Yahoo Groups which are pretty active. The Big Guns group is [email protected], and the Small Guns is [email protected]. A read of their archives will give you some information, as will surfing the various clubs' sites. The North Texas Battle Group (www.ntxbg.org) has links to lots of club sites, both Big Gun and Small Gun.

Good luck, and welcome to the hobby!

Wreno
NTXBG