Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
 aircraft carrier or distroyer >

aircraft carrier or distroyer

Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

aircraft carrier or distroyer

Old 01-24-2007, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aircraft carrier or distroyer

anyone know where to buy a Ready to Run aircraft carrier(1st) or a distroyer? lookin to spend around 200-500. well built and good quality... havent been able to find any companies. and dont really have the time to build one myself...
thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Default RE: aircraft carrier or distroyer

ORIGINAL: progcrash

anyone know where to buy a Ready to Run aircraft carrier(1st) or a distroyer? lookin to spend around 200-500. well built and good quality... havent been able to find any companies. and dont really have the time to build one myself...
thanks
Lots of questions to contemplate before you can get a definitive answer, but I will try:

What scale (1/144, 1/96, 1/72, other)? 1/144 is the most popular.
To battle or just sail around the pond, cause they are cool?
Which format (Big Gun or Small/Fast Gun)?
Local club you plan to play with (different clubs may have different rules of construction/combat that will affect your desision).
Why carrier (basically a big target cargo ship) or Destroyer (small, hard to build/arm, not terribly survivable if damaged)?

If you are looking for a combat ship, nope. Sadly, there are mo real RTB (ready to battle) or ARB (Almost Ready to Battle) manufacturers out there. Yet. There are the occasional ship sold by battlers, but that is a caveat emptor kind of deal - some are OK, some require as much work to make it what you want as building from scratch (if you can), but are a great learning tool.

The closest thing is the Prince Eugen from Barnstromer Boats. If you are just looking for one to sail, not battle, he also has a (1/300? about 1 meter long) Iowa battleship, but, of course, this is not a combat scale. Battlers Connection also has "kits," but probably not what you think of as a ki9t. You get a fiberglass hull and a few detail parts, the rest is "add you own balsa and time." Bowning Shipyards has fiberglass hulls. And, several individuals make them. On yahoo.com, in the Groups section, there are some related "Groups" (Forums) complete with sources, photos, etc. Some key ones - "BigGunsModelWarship" (Big Guns), "IRCWCC" (Small/Fast Guns), "BSTF" (Buy Sell Trade Forum). Also check out [link=http://rcnavalcombat.com]rcnavalcombat.com[/link].

You might want to check out the Servo Magazine article (linked from the bottom of the main page, which is after the splash), which gives an overall introduction to the hobby at [link=http://www.ntxbg.org]www.ntxbg.org[/link]. Keep in mind that the NTXBG site has technical articles and links to other clubs and vendors you might find useful.

By the way the cost of a good combat battleship (radio and all) is often north of $1000 (considering the guns are about $150-200 per turret). Sometines well north. But operational costs are relatively low (usually a couple of hours and well under $20-$30 per month, if like the NTXBG, you battle monthly).

Good luck,

Wreno
NTXBG
Old 01-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Default RE: aircraft carrier or distroyer

Hi Wreno,

Thanks for the shout out. I am also working on the Baltimore class heavy cruiser.

When I am finished with that I will make an upper for it to be a Saipan class CVL since that uses the same hull and is a legal combat carrier. That will be available with a squadron of planes for the deck and the small detail parts.