Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Scale Plans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Scale Plans

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 PM
subhunter13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Plans

Anybody Know some sites with scale WWII submarine plans? 1/144 scale would be good.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Scale Plans

Floating drydock has a few sets.

http://floatingdrydock.com/TFW2.htm#TFW

Don't forget to check for hull lines..
Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM
subhunter13

Stand by...... Checking......
Old 12-09-2007, 07:39 PM
subhunter13

AUUUGGGGGG!!!!! (I believe I have never used that term while searching for plans)
They have 1/92 for the most part but (unfortunatly for me) They do not have 1/144
scale because it is so small. Fortuneatly for me, I always can "ReWrite" the plans in a smaller format and
then print it along with the smaller size changes.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Wreno

The French site has plans for the Surcouf, but I believe they are in 1/100, and you would need to adjust the printout. There is a link on the NTXBG web site as well as many others to the French site. These are the original builder's plans and should be pretty darned accurate.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 12-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

ORIGINAL: subhunter13

AUUUGGGGGG!!!!! (I believe I have never used that term while searching for plans)
They have 1/92 for the most part but (unfortunatly for me) They do not have 1/144
scale because it is so small. Fortuneatly for me, I always can "ReWrite" the plans in a smaller format and
then print it along with the smaller size changes.
That's what copy enlargement features are for on the copy machings.
Most often all I enlarge is the frames/hull lines, and the bow and stern profile for
the keels. Everything else I do by measument and enlargment factors.

However I have been know to enlarge, or reduce whole plan sets for other people.
24" to 60" plans, not a problem at the local copy place...
Old 12-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Wreno

The French site's plans are already digital scans (TIF files, as I recall), making it even easier to enlarge or reduce in printing off bits and pieces (like the frames) withf your computer, or at the local copy store if you want the whole sheet. And, of course, they are free.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
subhunter13

Hmmmm, If I wanted to make my submarine for combat, It would have to be pretty small.
There aren't any 1/92 scale combat clubs anywhere near where we are going to be moving....
Of course, I could always start a warship/sub attack squadren.
The mid-atlantic combat club is the closest. They don't have any submarines or anti-submarine countermeasures
at the moment. (If I joined them with my sub, They would have some problems LOL )
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Wreno

ORIGINAL: subhunter13

Hmmmm, If I wanted to make my submarine for combat, It would have to be pretty small.
There aren't any 1/92 scale combat clubs anywhere near where we are going to be moving....
Of course, I could always start a warship/sub attack squadren.
The mid-atlantic combat club is the closest. They don't have any submarines or anti-submarine countermeasures
at the moment. (If I joined them with my sub, They would have some problems LOL )
Subhunter,

This has been covered ingreat detail on almost evey list I know of (the various Yahoo lists - both Big Gun and Small Gun, RC Universe, RCGroups, RCNavalCombat, etc.). The smallest (at all) effective scale for combat subs (with the current state of technology) is about 1/72, and even then it is more of a novelty.
Can you build a 1/144 scale sub? Yes. It is an extremely tough build, but it can, and has been, done. Are they combat effective? Those who have done so generally say no. The only ones I know of that have had any success in combat are in WWCC, where they allow the subs to ram-fire (a plunger on the bow triggers the torps) so, if you can get the position right, you have heavy damage virtually guaranteed. Unless you happen to hit an impenetrable area, then you shot it all and got no damage. ;-( This is the only club that I know of that allows this firing technique, and most consider it unsafe.

That said, go ahead and build one if you want to. They are a great novelty. Just do not expect them to be particularly effective in combat. If you wnt to do combat in 1/144, you have dozens of really good ships to choose from which are far easier to build and far more effective. AND, you can actually see them to maneuver them and set up your shot.
Like the MAG, the NTXBG has no subs running either. That there are no subs in many, if not most, 1/144 combat clubs might tell you something. Especially when coupled with the fact that the first question almost everyone asks is "Can you do subs?" It is not that they haven't been thought of. Or that they are tough to build. If they were effective, there would probably be a bunch of them out there (we have a lot of incredibly clever builders out there). Especially with all the I-400 and Surcouf hulls sold.
Cheers,

Wreno

Old 12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
subhunter13

I tried to build a 1/72 once. I had problems that had nothing to do with size though.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Wreno

What issues did you have?

Just noticed you are from MO. Drove through there this summer on my way to MN with my transport fleet on a goodwill tour. The King's Fort TransPort Fleet Million Mile Middle of America Goodwill Tour 2007. (2500 mi x 144[scale]=36000 mi x 3 ships = 1,000,000+ ship miles) The Lib almost sank in IA. Was less than 200 miles from you for parts of the trip.

Cheers

Wreno
Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM
subhunter13

Well,
First I wrecked the model I was trying to convert by cutting a part I wasn't supossed to.
Second, My Circut board was not compatible with my servos,
third, I had to halt the project for 6 months.
But I was completed and then I tested it,....
And it sank. The WTC was not watertight at 7 feet and
fried my circut board. I just made it into a model now.
It actualy looks nice after repainting it.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Was this a DM WTC or something you made your self?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Wreno

Also, by circuit board, are you meaning RX, ESC, combo, or what?

You have heard of 3M Scotchkote (available at Lowes, but not Home Depot).

Ugly as sin, but waterproofs like crazy.

Wreno
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
subhunter13

Yes, I made it myself. Yes, circut board as in RX.
No I have not heard of it but I'll try not to use it. LOL
I'm eventualy going to make a new sub. I'm looking at the
Revell Gato class 1/72 scale, model submarine. I can convert it.
(Hopefully with no mistakes this time LOL)
Old 05-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Graft Zeppelin

here is a good web site for plans in almost any scale (http://www.mo-na-ko.net/plans/plany_v.htm) you have to copy the link, And the Plans are free, might need a Zerox machine if you want to print full sized plans or do the math
hope this helps, I would like to see a 1/72 or 1/144 submarine. You sould come up to Vancouver if you build it, we have one member that has a 1/72, it fires the metal bbs trought a rotary lancher its cool but he has to be a foot away from any of our shis but when he gets close he has a nasty bite.