Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Cheap Battleship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Cheap Battleship

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:59 PM
kuhndog599

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Battleship

I've looked at the thread titled RTR RC SOVIET DESTROYER - SOVREMENNY CLASS and there was a destroyer and carrier in it that people have gotten. I noticed there is also a battleship out and was wondering if anyone has gotten that. Since I can't afford the good stuff, this will have to do.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Wreno

Default RE: Cheap Battleship

For what purpose? If you are just looking for a battleship to run on the pond, and don't care about battling, that is probably OK. If you are wanting to actually battle (you are posting this on the combat thread), you need to get something in the proper scale, time period, etc. I believe the Sovremenny is neither. You can get a Prince Eugen hull from a couple of vendors for around $100, and start building. As yet, there are no RTR or ARTR combat ships available - unless you count the occasional used ship that comes available. Your local club can help in that regard. To find the nearest club, there is a club finder on [link=http://www.rcnavalcombat.com]www.rcnavalcombat.com[/link]

Or you can get plans for almost anything and start cutting ribs and building. Then cost of the hull is some 3/8" plywood, glue, and time. The French have been kind enough to scan in the plans of many of their ships and put them on a free web site [link=http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php]www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php[/link] - the Jean Bart/Richelieu or the smaller Dunkerque/Strassbourg are both deadly ships in warship combat if built well. The plans are, I believe, 1/100, so you will need to reduce them a bit on printing to 1/144 (about 69.444% or whatever the correct ratio is from the originals).

There are tons of tutorials on how to build a scratch ship on the web at the various club web sites (like [link=https://www.ntxbg.org]www.ntxbg.org[/link], as well as at [link=http://bderc.com]bderc.com[/link] BDE also has pattern sets.

Good luck,

Wreno
Old 12-15-2007, 02:04 PM
kuhndog599

Just to run around in a lake. I was just seeing if it was as tipsy as the carrier or if it runs just the same as the others.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 PM
subhunter13

Tipsy as in "About to Turtle" ?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:22 AM
kuhndog599

Like on the turns and if I would need to put a little weight on it so the front doesn't lift up.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Jonjoe

Im a scale man and i dont belelive you would like 2 start with ether they are TOYS start with somthing like a dumas kit or a model slipway and progress to like a deansmarine kits ect go to your local club and ask around see what for sale
BY THE WAY THIS IS THE COMBAT SECTION THEESE ACTUALLY SHOOT AND SINK EACH OTHER IF YOUR INTO SCALE WARSHIPS ECT. GO 2 THE SCALE SECTION
Hope this helps
Jonjoe