Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
 where to get silkspan... >

where to get silkspan...

Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

where to get silkspan...

Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to get silkspan...

Hi all,

I was wondering where you get your silkspan and dope. I checked tower hobbies however I couldn't find it there, and a google search wasnt helpful either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Default RE: where to get silkspan...

Tower has K&S Silkspan in 3 grades - see:[link=http://hwww3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QAD]www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QAD[/link]

They also carry butyrate dope (look under paints) [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=RHB]www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=RHB[/link]

Nitrate dope, (much preferred by many, including me, as it plays better with other finishes) is harrder to find, and I am not sure if Tower carries it. It is available form some hobby ships and, I believe, directly from Sig. [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGND001.html]www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGND001.html[/link]. Nitrate Dope is also available from your local aircraft repair company/cupplier (yes real people-carrying aircraft - at or near your local airport), as it is used on fabric covered aircraft like Piper Cubs, etc. Randolph Coatings is the brand I buy. Sold by the gallon there and cheaper (per oz). Decant your working supply and reseal.
Get compatible thinner, too. And, I use the Taughtening Nitrate Dope.

There are also some Queen's Own guys in Washington State that might be able to help you with various suppliers. And, when it comes to other necessaries, there are links to some of our club's favorite suppliers on the [link=http://www.ntxbg.org]www.ntxbg.org[/link] site, as well as links to other clubs which opften list their favorite suppliers.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 AM

that helps alot wreno, thanks much. I actually have contacted queens own to see when their next event is, because im not sure this is a hobby i want to pursue 110%, so im doing the research ( I am however building a ship because i know i want to do the ship building, its the combat im unsure of lol)
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM

Queen's Own has been a bit off as of late... However we can certainly help to get a ship started.
Our ships are 1/72nd scale, so we would steer you toward an Allied or Axis Destroyer.

If combat is not your thing, there is model boat club in Shelton. The run at a country
club just north of town.

Also, there are members of the Northwest RC Shipmodelers from
Vancouver BC down to Portland, OR. The runs take place in Seattle and Bellevue WA.

We can help you get a Destroyer ready for combat, but if you decide to run it as
a scale ship instead, it will definitely be competitve with the pretty boats on the pond.

[8D]
Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 PM

It sounds like you are a part of Queen's own Umi_Ryuzuki

Thats the thing I dont know for sure if I will be into combat (probably will though) so thats why I want to check it out. Right now im working on a 1/72nd scale of the USS Sulivans. I have the ribs all glued up so I am waiting on some balsa to continue, it should be here by monday (hopefully)