Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Forrest Sherman class destroyer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Forrest Sherman class destroyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forrest Sherman class destroyer

Howdy,

I'm totally new to RC boating, I'm mainly into the RC planes. I've had the "itch" to build a RC boat of some sort, going along the lines of military and somewhat scale. Naturally, being in the Navy and aboard a Forrest Sherman class can, I think it would be neat to build in that design, as I have many pictures and memories to assist the build.
Any tips or leads to a possible starting point will be appreciated.

Many thanks, Jim
Old 11-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Forrest Sherman class destroyer

Just one question, are you looking to build an actual combat ship for R/C combat or a full on R/C scale reproduction? All the replies you get will be determined by your answer.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Wreno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As hydrojunkie mentioned, it really depends on if you are trying to just build a running finescale or scale model, or are wanting to do R/C Model Warship Combat. If you are not sure what Model Warship Combat is all about, I would point you to this article on the NTXBG.org site that should give you an idea what it is all about: [link=https://ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf]ntxbg.org/articles/servo20051rcmw.pdf[/link]

There are also several links on the NTXBG site that you might find useful, either way, like suppliers of plans and other bits you might want, and there is a knowledgebase that has some good articles on building ships from plans. Do keep in mind that it is from the perspective of battlers, though.

In a "for what it is worth," at our battle last Sunday, I was driving the French ship Dunkerque in convoy duty. I believe got two holes above the waterline in the USS Missouri, but she definitely got 23 above, 2 on the waterline, and 2 below on me.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Now wait a minute. You have 8 guns in two turrets and he's got 9 guns in three and he outscored you 31-2? How could you get that few hits at close range? A bad day at the lake
Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM
DelRay

Hydro Junkie,

Thanks to all for the replies, I appreciate the answers. It looks like I might have dropped my question in the wrong place, but I'm sure you'll guide me to the right place. I was thinking more on the lines of building a semi-scale craft to just put around the pond with, nothing for actual combat. Although it would be neat to have those five inchers capable of doing something. The dual three inchers would be neat also to have them in operable mode. Then the torpedo launchers and hedgehogs would have to come alive.
OOPPSS, kinda got carried away there, my bad. I'd like to build on the larger scale, and this would be my first boat project, and I do have a lot of pictures to aid my build.
The Barry DD 933 was on the Cuban blockade, I was there on her just a boat length away from those Russian freighters with the missle cans onboard them.
Ah, sorry about the rambling, just a boat to put around the pond with. Any ideas as to where locate any plans would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35780.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1317384  
Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Wreno

Hydro,

Au Contrair, Mon Ami. Not a bad day at the pond at all.

First, though I have been battling for years, I am primarily a transport captain. This is only my second battle driving an armed ship. Still working out the bugs (many many bugs) im my technique. I learned a lot. Also, since I was on convoy protection duty, and had loaded a used CO2 tank with limited CO2 (very long story), I ran out of gas pretty early on. I became more of a damage absorption unit. The Altmark only got, I think, 2 aboves on her. After he was off the pond, I decided to go back out unarmed and try a technique that had been discussed but I had never tried. Since I have my pump on an ESC, I loaded up the water cannon and tried to shoot a stream into Mo's barbettes. Not such a grand idea, it turns out, especially with a huge ball of moss trapped in my rudder......

Jim,

There are several sources for plans listed in the links on the NXBG.org web site, and other clubs listed there have links as well. And there are several producers of fiberglass hulls linked. 3-5 inchers can be armed with BB caliber guns in Big Gun (1/144) or 3/16" guns in QO (1/72), I believe.

Welcome to the fray. I think you may find that, once you have built the ship, you will really want to do something more with it than just drive it around. The combat is a lot of fun, even when you are taking hits - as you can gather from my response to Hydro. If you decide you do want to do combat, be sure and pick a club that you want to battle with's rules on construction and armament. If you want to come to NABGO, that would be the NTXBG ruleset for now, and eventually the BGWCI rules when complete.

Cheers,

Wreno
Old 11-21-2009, 07:57 AM
DelRay

Wreno,

Thanks for the info, and the combat does sound like a lot of fun, although there isn't any of it going on in this area, so maybe just the putt around the pond version will have to be my goal for now. Jim

P.S. I don't think I'd get away with firing a "broadside" at some fellas gas hyro as he zips by.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Wreno

Jim,

My point was, if you build to a club's specs from the beginning, you can still build the non-combatant. But, if you later wish to copmete, you can use the ship you have already built, just remove some ballast and arm it. If you do not go this route, you will likely have to start from scratch if you get the battling itch.

You are not far from MBG as I recall, by the way, and I have actually had my ships in Iowa and Minnesota a couple of times. And Treaty has events in Ohio. There may also be some IRCWCC or MWC guys in your vicinity. There is a club/captain finder on TCNavalCombat.com

Good luck,

Wreno
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 AM
DelRay

Wreno,

Thanks for the reply and the info. Good stuff to know, especially, when I'm just getting my feet wet with this boat thing. The active RC boating around here is the "pond scorchers", very fast gas boats. I'm anxious to see what's available as far as any plans for my project, and the glass hulls sound interesting also. Thanks again for the help, and if I get started with my project I'll drop in and share a few pics.

Jim
Old 12-24-2009, 07:56 PM
pilotdude57

If anyone would be interested in a 1/144 scale USS Nimitz carrier, or an even bigger 1/72 scale in two separate sections (each 7.5 feet long, join when you get to the lake) let me know. The 1/144 would be 7.5 feet long. Lotsa scale aircraft in those scales. I will be putting out the kits so want to get an idea how many would be interested.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
emspaul
My Feedback: (6)

Jim,
Have you figured out what you are going to go with as far as your build goes?
If you going to with a Master piece on the water you should take a look at this site, they are more of what you be looking for.
http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl
The floating drydock has a ton of plans for this ship.
http://floatingdrydock.com/
Or you could try.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...61852a437480f&
These are just a couple of sites to check out.