Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

RCV engine in a reno racer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:18 PM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV engine in a reno racer

As I've got an obsession with enclosed exhaust and not chopping up my cowls coupled with scale diameter props, I'm set with the thunderbolt project on my 120 SP.

I'm gearing up the works for my racing plane. Prolly a 60 size (maybe 90?) Corsair. which kit i'm not sure yet... My question to you is, can I use the 90 or 120 for speed?

Assuming the plane is kept light (under 10lbs).

THanks

~Ray
Old 08-06-2003, 06:31 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Ray

I am very pleased to hear that the SP series engines enable you to keep your obsession with not chopping up cowls etc ;o)

The in-line shape of the SP series engines combined with the scale size props mean they are perfect for scale applications. The 2:1 reduction gearing however (which enables the larger propellers) is not as suited to sport flying or speed, as the prop is turning at half the speed of the engine - producing a lot of torque but less rpm.
If you are able to reduce the weight of the plane, this would certainly help, but it would not be the same as using a 2-stroke engine. It really depends what you are trying to achieve - a 90SP could help you achieve a good scale looking plane (no chopped up cowls) with a fair amount of speed. Whereas another more conventional engine may have more speed but will not look so good. The choice is yours

I hope this helps. If you have any more queries, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 08-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Otto Kudrna
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Ray
In the near future, RCV will be coming out with a new .96CD engine. This engine is of the conventional configuration but is in a very low package. The engine will be about the same size as the OS.60LA 2-stroke engine. This should fit in a TopFlite cowling with out cutting. The engine will still sound and run like a 4-Stroke but can turn higher revs than any other 4-stroke. The engine should be available toward the end of this year, and should be unveiled in September. You can go on the RCV web sight and take a look at the 58CD, and just picture it a bit larger. The engine will also be less expensive than the 90SP.

Otto
Old 08-06-2003, 01:13 PM
WarpdSpazm

Thanks to both of you. At the moment the Top-Flite .60 kit is looking like the choice (Though Jack Devine is prepping to release an F2G corsair-the real reno model- though it's 85")
At scale speeds the 1/8 Corsair (Warbird) should top out at 50-60MPH. I'm doing the reno style because I'm hoping to fly closer to 100mph at WOT. I have thought the 90sp with a high pitch blade (say 14 pitch?) Would have been similar at 4800-5000RPMs compare to a 2C with a 7 pitch cranking 10k.
I'm still in the theoretical phase of this so everything is open... Can't wait to see the .96CD It just might be the ticket.

~Ray