Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

rcv for the VQ p-38

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 05:21 AM
topgun600
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rcv for the VQ p-38

I been looking at ur engines for some time now and i would like to try a pair in my p-38 the plane calls for .60 to .70 4 strokes but im at a lost what size rcv i should go with??i dont wanna be over powerd to the point its pulling the firewalls out, but i do want enough power i can burn holes in the sky what would u suggest thanks topgun600
Old 11-10-2003, 03:26 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: rcv for the VQ p-38

Hi, I had replied to your question on Friday (you had asked the question under the 'RCV, please help' thread). Anyway, please find my response below

I am very pleased to hear you are going to put an RCV in your vq p-38. That is a fantastic kit and I am sure an RCV engine will be perfect to maintain the scale appearance, especially as the engines can pull scale size propellers.
With regard to which engine size the 60SP should be fine. Obviously this will not have as much power as a 70 4-stroke, but it should pull the plane around the sky. One thing you will need to consider is prop clearance. Due to the 2:1 reduction gearing, the smallest 3-bladed propeller we recommend on a 60SP is a 13.4x13.5 APC. With the 90SP, the smallest 3-bladed propeller we recommend is a 15x13.5. If prop clearance is an issue, you could always consider our CD range, as they still have a much lower head height than conventional engines.

Although we do not have direct experience with this model, one of our Norwegian customers has put a couple of 58CD engines in his P-38 and is very pleased with its performance. If this is the same model as you, then the 60SP engines will certainly have enough power. See www.rcvengines.com/gallery_58cd_p38.htm for more information on this plane. If you have any specific questions that you wish to ask this modeller, please let me know and I can try and contact him on your behalf.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne

Technical Support
RCV Engines - UK
Old 11-10-2003, 06:42 PM
grenader

Hi i am the Norwegian Laurenne reefers to. The kit I have the RCV58's in is a KMP P38 it has a weight of 98,8oz and a wing span of 83,3!QUOT!. I your model is of a similar size you should have no problem.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:49 AM
RCV Engines

Thanks for your input, there is no substitute for actual experience with a model

Best regards
Laurenne