Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Cooling Idea for RCV-90 in ME109 What do you think?

Old 02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
S.R.Stoene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Idea for RCV-90 in ME109 What do you think?

Hello,

I'm building a Brian Taylor Me109 F (will mod to G6). After reading the posts about difficulty with cooling RCVs I realized my current cooling port would not be enough. So, the good thing about Me109F,K,Gs is the huge spinner. This lends itself to venting option through the spinner. Plus, the backplate of the spinner (purchased from Bob Holdman) is made of aluminum. This, combined with some thermal compound, will act like a heat sink that is connected diretctly to the cylinder/shaft. Back to the air-through-spiinner idea. I plan to cut/mill some slots into the dome cover and backplate. I'm not sure how many or size of holes to use. I also think if I slightly bend the vents into a scoop shape it'll act as a blower. Any help there would be appreciated. The best part is that some of the classic paint schemes on 109 spinners were with black overall and one pie slice white. This I hope will hide the vent holes some. I'll paint the interior flat black. Also, when the engine is running I don't think the vent holes would be noticed. This obviously takes away some of the scale looks but I'm using a two blade prop instead of a three blade one too. So, If I need scale I can have both a static three blader and spinner. I've drawn my idea. I think its self explanitory. Any ideas about vent hole size, placement, structural concers, or will this even work postes would be appreciated. S.R.Stoene
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28070.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	225472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17973.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	225473  
Old 02-07-2005, 06:26 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: Cooling Idea for RCV-90 in ME109 What do you think?

Hi

Your plan certainly sounds good in principle and it could work very well, however it is impossible to confirm this without trying it ourselves. If you can aim for around 1-2" of total vent space that should be adequate. You will need to ensure that there is at least 2 (or if possible 3) times this space at the rear of the cowl to ensure that the hot air can escape.

We would love to hear how you get on.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 02-07-2005, 08:04 AM
S.R.Stoene

Laurenne,

Ok, I'm going to give it a try. I'll post some pics when I can. Stoene
Old 06-21-2005, 03:50 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Hey SR Stone,
You stole my idea. J/K! I had the same idea when I was looking at the huge front opening in the cowl of my GSP Spitfire and my 3.5" GP spinner. The GP spinner is plastic but has an aluminum backplate, get this, with holes already in it. If you look at one, you will see what I mean. Now as far as slotting the spinner, that is the tricky part, as I do want it balanced and I do not want it to fly apart. The nice thing with my RCV 120SP is that it starts from the rear, so I don't have to worry about destroying the spinner with a starter. I was going to make similar holes in my spinner with the inside (scooping edge) beveled. I thought I was the only crazy one out there willing to try something like this. Let me know how yours goes and I will post photos as soon as I do mine.