Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

SP60 or CD58? (and a twin?)

Old 09-26-2005, 03:22 AM
RGN01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP60 or CD58? (and a twin?)

Hi,

I am busy rebuilding a World Models Corsair and want to fit one of my new RCV engines (I am in the lucky position of having a new SP60 and a new CD58 waiting for the right model!) but can't decide which one and which prop to use. Can you offer any advice or comments on the options, please?

Models specs:
Wing span: 55 inch / 1400mm
Wing area: 574 sq in / 51 sq dm
Weight: 6.5 lbs / 3050 g

Option 1:
Engine: SP60
Prop: APC 13.4 x 13.5 3-blade

Option 2:
Prop: APC 15 x 13.5 3-blade

Option 3:
Prop: APC 13 x 13 4-blade

Option 4:
Engine: CD58
Prop: APC 11 x 6 2-blade

Option 5:
Engine: CD58
Prop: APC 12 x 6 2-blade

As you can see, too many choices! []

I am currently tending towards option 2 (SP60 with 15x13.5x3 prop) but may have a ground clearance problem so will have to reduce the prop size to the 13.4x13.5x3).

What are your thoughts, will the SP60 be better than the CD58? What prop should I use?

With regard to cooling, with the big cowl of the Corsair, would it be better to leave the cowl open, or create a duct to block off the outer portions of the cowl and to force cooling air through a smaller hole in the centre over the engine (SP60)? The problem I see with this arrangement is that the air will travel at 90 degrees to the fins (i.e. over the tops of them). Alternatively, should I only allow air in above the engine and duct it down over the cooling fins of the SP60 to get airflow in the same direction as the cooling fins? (There is ample exhaust area for warm air.) Which would you recommend?

Lastly, looking at the CD58, I can't help dreaming of a multi-cylinder version (twin, triple or more). Please add a twin to your development plans - I think it would be an awesome engine (only betterered by a triple!)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Richard
Old 09-27-2005, 02:34 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: SP60 or CD58? (and a twin?)

Hi Richard

It is certainly nice to be able to choose between two RCV engines

Realistically this is personal choice, as either could certainly power it with no problems. A couple of our customers have used an RCV60SP for their Corsair and the 3-bladed propeller does look good. The 13.4x13.5 should work well.
Follow this link to see a 60SP in a 9lb Corsair - this has quite a lot of information and with regard to cooling, the air outlets have been increased.[link=http://www.rcvengines.com/gallery/rcv60sp_corsair.htm]http://www.rcvengines.com/gallery/rcv60sp_corsair.htm[/link]

I hope this helps, however if you have any more queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best regards
Laurenne

NB. Hopefully one day in the not too distant future RCV will produce a twin
Old 09-28-2005, 05:07 AM
RGN01

Thanks for the reply. I'll be using the 60 for the Corsair (and put the 58 into a Piper Cub).

I'm still a little confused about cooling the 60 - does it matter whether the cooling air travels parallel to the propshaft (i.e. across the tops of the fins) or parallel to the cooling fins (i.e. at 90 degrees to the propshaft)?

I've never used one of these engines before and I don't want to damage it through overheating it!

Thanks again.

Regards,
Richard
Old 09-28-2005, 07:52 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Richard

Actually it doesn't matter which direction the cooling air travels. The most important thing for cooling is that the hot air has space to escape. Some of our customers in tighter cowled planes do put scoops in the cowling to ensure that any air coming in, is at least directed over the engine, but this shouldn't be necessary on your corsair

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 AM
RGN01

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

One last question before I cut the cowl to suit the engine............what is the recommended method for after-run oiling on RCV engines?

My normal routine with 4-strokes is a few drops of after-run oil in the carb and a squirt into the crankcase breather - is this applicable for RCV engines?

Thanks.

Regards,
Richard
Old 09-30-2005, 04:25 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Richard

Yes this is applicable for RCV engines. We would recommend running the engine dry before using the after run oil. It may also be better to store the engine model nose up, to prevent exhaust residue running back into the engine

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 09-30-2005, 05:32 AM
RGN01

Thanks again.

Regards,
Richard