Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Bevel Gear Binding During Engine Rotation?

Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Cybertom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bevel Gear Binding During Engine Rotation?

I just purchased a RCV SP120 engine. When I turn the engine over by hand using the starter adapter shaft the engine binds at the same point every 360 degrees of rotation of the starting shaft. Is this normal before break-in or is there an issue with the alignment or manufacture of the gearing?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:38 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: Bevel Gear Binding During Engine Rotation?

Hi

Assuming you have just purchased a brand new engine from a retailer (rather than a 2nd hand engine) I would not be concerned. It is normal to feel the gear teeth especially prior to run in. Since 2004 all SP series engines have been individually tested in the UK prior to despatch, therefore we would have passed this at our factory.
If you have purchased a 2nd hand though, it may be that the enigne has been taken apart or hasn't been set up perfectly.

If it is the latter, you may want to send it to our US service centre (assuming you are based in the US) just to check.

I am away on holiday next week, so you may have to wait for a reply to any response you send to this post (if one of my colleagues doesn't answer).

Best regards
Laurenne

Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Cybertom

Default RE: Bevel Gear Binding During Engine Rotation?

Yes I am in the USA. As stated in my initial message the engine is brand new. I will mount it on the test bench and go through the break-in procedure.

Thanks!