Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Can I swing the prop to start it ?

Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Anconoid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I swing the prop to start it ?

I have been following the increased use and popularity of RCV engines for a while now and am almost tempted....but.....nowhere have I seen reference to hand starting by swinging the prop. Is this possible/permissable/improbable or what ????
Thanks in advance to anyone prepared to give me an answer on this [&o]
Old 06-14-2006, 08:16 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: Can I swing the prop to start it ?

Hi

This is certainly possible and many of our customers do this. You may find that it is too tight to hand start it before the engine is run, but that depends on the engine. You may also need to choke the engine first.

I hope this helps.
If you have any other queries, please don' t hesitate to contact me.
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 06-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

My cheesy starter wouldn't turn over my 120sp, so I've been hand propping it. It is pretty easy to start if you prime the daylights out of it, otherwise, it will not start at all.

Neat engines!
Old 06-24-2006, 08:04 PM
p61widowrc
My Feedback: (1)

Anconoid,
I recently purchase SP-91 engines for a P61 VQ ARF. I have been running one to get it broke in. Broke is a bad term because there is not a thing wrong with it. Anyway my starting procedure is to use a hand drill with the driver to turn it over some just to make sure oil or fuel isn't causing it to be tight. Then I prime it well, put the glow driver on the remote and flip the prop. I'm turning a 16 in / 14 pitch prop. The engine will pop and I may have to adjust the carb opening and then flip it again and off we go. I'm like you in the begining trying to get my starter to use the adapter and then what about using the drill and it all came down to prime it good and flip the prop. My engine has less that 1 hr on it and I'm turning 5700 to 5800 hi end and I've had it down to 1400 to 1500 on the low end. Response is great without any hesitation. I'm starting to think about, Is there a SP-61 coming around the bend. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, you might us a drill and driver just to loosen it up a bit, but then hand flip it.
Take care,
Bob
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
p61widowrc
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
I have purchase the RCV SP 90 and after stewing around about how to start the engine, this is my way. I use an electric drill with the drive to turn the engine over a few turns just to loosen it up. Then I make sure there is fuel at the carb. I then connect by ni-starter glow to the remote head and give it a flip. I may have to adjust or open the carb a bit, but after that, we are off and running. I feel the hand flip is the way to go.
Bob
Old 07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

I swing the prop on my 120SP, no issues at all once it's run in a bit. I couldn't get the adapter to fit my starter, and it wasn't torquey enough to turn over the 120 from the prop hub, so I hand start it.

It's a 1 flip start every time after priming.

Great engines.......
Old 07-20-2006, 02:34 AM
RCV Engines

I would like to add that RCV do not recommend hand starting the engine for safety reasons. Many of our customers do this, and it doesn't harm the engine, however you need to be very careful as they swing large props.

Take Care !!

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hi,

I have had a RCV-90 for some time now. At first I had to start it with a starter just like they said. After about a year I forgot my starter one day. Since it was well broken in (3-4 gallos of fuel) I choked it, gave it a couple of flips, put on the glow starter and she started on the 1st flip. Did I mention that I had a stroke back in August 2004 and had to do this with my left hand. I have a B-24 (136") and plan to use 4 - RCV-60 engines. They seem to be VERY reliable and are easy to fit in a cowl. Thanks for the great engines!

David