Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

58cd Broken conrod and crankpin

Old 12-09-2006, 02:19 PM
aresti1963

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58cd Broken conrod and crankpin

Hi Laurenne,

I've had my 58cd for about 6-7 months now and up until today, it ran faultlessly. However, on the 5th or 6th flight today, I was doing a low pass in my trusty Decathlon, when the engine stopped abruptly with an audible bang or crack. I landed deadstick, and when I checked the engine out, it was very notchy to turn the prop, and, it would only turn a half turn by hand.
At home, I disassembled the engine to find that the conrod and crankpin are completely destroyed, but the piston is still freely moving in the cylinder (so no sign of seizing), also, with the case separated, the crank and bearings are free to run (so no seizing there either). I have ran the motor on Technics Duraglo 10% from new, and was using a 11x7 APC prop with an OS 'f' plug. The engine has been used for about 2 hours per week for the last 6 months and ran and idled perfectly up till this point. At the time of the incident, the throttle was only at about 1/3 open doing a slow low pass, so I cant see that the motor was under any strain at the time.
I have put the casing back together leaving the evidence as it was, so that your tech team can see it for themselves.

Can I assume that this will be covered under the warranty? If so, please email me a returns no. to:
[email protected]

Thanks,

Tony

Old 12-11-2006, 08:59 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: 58cd Broken conrod and crankpin

Hi Tony

I am very sorry to hear of your engine problem. This will certainly be covered under warranty and I have emailed you an authorisation number as requested.

Best regards
Laurenne
Old 12-16-2006, 10:05 AM
aresti1963

Hi Laurenne, Just a quick post to let you know that I got my new engine 24hrs after I talked to Angela on the phone. 24hr Courier!!!! Thats what I call service.

Could you please extend my thanks to all of the staff for their excellent level of customer service, something not seen very often these days.

All the best for Xmas and a very Hazy and intoxicated New Year to you all.

Tony
Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Tony

That is excellent news, we are pleased to help. I will certainly pass on your thanks to Angela and the rest of the RCV team.

Wishing you a merry christmas and a happy new year too .

Best regards
Laurenne