Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Dead stick landing with a 1.20 SP

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:42 PM
markisenberger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead stick landing with a 1.20 SP

I’d appreciate any input on this issue. I had my first flight yesterday with a 1.20 SP on an Edge 540 .60 plane. I broke it in for more than the recommended two hours, using 15% nitro and a three blade prop. I was thrilled with the low end idle and throttle response. On the maiden flight yesterday, I taxied and took off with no problem. After a few laps setting trims, I went into position to land. I cut the throttle to about 50 percent, and boom, I was dead stick. The good news is, the damage was minor (broken landing gear mount).

My question is, what are the potential factors that caused this dead stick? In case the information is pertinent, the cowling wasn’t on, so I don’t think it overheated. Also, the muffler had come off after the crash, and I don’t know if it was coming loose during the flight, potentially causing a loss of muffler pressure? There was ample fuel left over, and the tank position is correct (right behind tank, centerline even with the carb). I tested idle, WOT, and transitions prior to flight, and all were fine. I also elevated and dropped the nose, and the response for both was acceptable.

Has anybody had this specific problem? Did I do something wrong? Is it “just one of those things” that will turn out to be an isolated incident?

Thank you,

MI
Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: Dead stick landing with a 1.20 SP

Hi

It is very difficult to say what the issue could have been.
This sounds as if the engine could have been running lean (so you would need to adjust the idle needle).
It could also be a bit of dirt in the carb.

I would recommend that when you next run the engine you do some exhaustive ground tests - lifting the aircraft nose in the air and vice versa. You should also try running the engine through each of the different throttle settings and back down again.

Really it is more an issue of ruling out anything, rather than stating exactly what caused it.

Please let me know how you get on.
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 PM
markisenberger

Thank you for the input. Since I posted that last message, I've become convinced the loose muffler was to blame. After examining the post-crash engine, it appears that the first few threads of the muffler were stripped, and I hadn't screwed it far enough to overcome that. It's securely fastened now, and I'll find out this weekend if that was indeed the culprit. I'll also try the regimen you advised.

While I'm on the subject, is muffler pressurization essential for proper operation? If it is, that's probably the cause of the dead stick. If not, I need to explore other possible causes.

Thank you,

MI
Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 AM
RCV Engines

Hi

Actually this could have caused a deadstick. The engine doesn't require muffler pressurization, however if you set the engine up with the muffler on, then if the muffler comes off or loosens, the settings would be incorrect so could cause a deadstick landing.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne
Old 01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
markisenberger

Dear RCV,

The good news is, the engine previously discussed performed perfectly. The bad news is, I lost the horizontal stab midflight and had a catastrophic crash. The engine took a hit, and does not appear to turn over. I still haven't taken it off the wreckage to confirm this. Usually I would trash the engine or put it in the "parts box." However, due to the cost of this engine, and the fact that I bought it new/recently, I'd like the manufacturer to look at it, and perform any necessary repairs. Is there a U.S. vendor who performs this service for RCV? If not, and I have to ship it to England, where should I send it? And what kind of documentation will be necessary? This isn't a warranty issue per se, but I recall something about RCV having a deal where if repairs exceed 50% of the engine cost, the engine is replaced for that amount? Is this accurate?

Any information would be appreciated...
Old 01-25-2007, 03:47 AM
RCV Engines

Hi Mark

Oh no, what bad luck!!!
But that is exactly we we have a lifetime repair guarantee which you should be able to take advantage of. To qualify for this, you would have needed to register you engine with us after purchase (officially within 30 days of purchase). If you can email me all your details including name address, serial number of engine, date and place of purchase, we can proceed from there.
The guarantee is that no repair or replacement will cost more than 50% of the cost of a new engine. We will always try to repair an engine, however if this is not possible we will replace it. It is also very likely that we will be able to repair your engine for less, it really depends on the damage

Please email [email protected] with your details.

Best regards
Laurenne

Old 01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
markisenberger

Thank you for the info. The engine is at home; I'll get the serial number and find all the paperwork on it this weekend...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Razmo
My Feedback: (2)

Question for RCV.....

I have yet to start my new 1.20 SP. I intended to break her in this weekend. She's installed in my ESM Stuka. The problem, my carb needle seems to have quite a bit of play for some reason. Fully closed, the needle seats fine and is solid. However, when I open the needle to the recommended 2 turns open (more or less) it's very loose.

Is this normal? My thought is to apply some teflon tape to the threads to tighten it up, however thought I'd ask the experts.

p.s. I took some video of what I'm describing, which I can e-mail to you. Your support would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raz