Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

rcv engine for BT hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 05:12 PM
ric52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rcv engine for BT hurricane

Hi!

I have almost finished a 70" span Brian Taylor Hurricane originally planned for a Laser 80.
Now I have seen the RCV engines and I'm interested to buy one being easier to fit in this Hurricane. Nevertheless I'm a little concerned about the following:
what is the better size (90 or 120)
how to assure good cooling
may the big propeller cause a swing to the left in take off (what is the best propeller size)
Old 02-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Otto Kudrna
My Feedback: (1)

Hello
Due to the fact that the Taylor Hurricane is very light, I would recommend the 90 and a 18x10 or 18x12 prop. Cooling is the same as on any other engine, make sure that you have plenty of it. the prop torque is no problem if you throttle up slowly into the roalout.

Thank You
Otto Kudrna
Old 02-08-2003, 10:24 PM
ric52

Thank you for your quick answer!
My Hurricane is not so light being about 12 lbs (5,5 kg) and will be utilized in a grass airfield.
What do you think about a three blade propeller?
Old 02-09-2003, 06:48 AM
lokeetl

Ric52,

Zinger has multi-blade prop setups available. I've learned from reading Otto's posts and talking to him by phone that he is not fond of 3 or 4 blade props. I'm not sure exactly where it is in this forum, but he does explains his reasons.
Even though it is against his knowledgable advice, I do like the fact that if you have a prop strike on four blade unit, it might only break one or two blades. Zinger replacement blades in the 16 inch range are about $5.00 each. That is better than a new $20.00, 20 inch-2 blade.

Your (our) choice, but Otto knows his stuff.
And go wood. No plastic.

Hope this helps until Otto gets back to you!

Chip
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: rcv engine for BT hurricane

To bring this back to the top... has anybody actually tried a Zinger 3 or 4 blade wooden prop on an RCV SP series engine? I recall the RCV instructions did not recommend wooden propellors... but the Zinger 4 bladers sure are nice looking! Spray one black with fuel proof paint and it's look hot on a Mustang!

- Michael
Old 04-02-2008, 01:14 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said the weight is 12 lbs. Is that without the motor and balance? Even as an all-up wet weight, this would be more than what the 90 will handle. If you go with the RCV, choose the 120SP, or perhaps look into the more conventional, but still compact 130CD. The CD is geared 1:1, so it turns a conventional prop, but since it uses the rotary valve, the head is much lower than other 4 strokes.

Scott

Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Funny thing. Flew my RCV 120 yesterday.

I have a BT Hurricane, but to try out my RCV 120 I purchased a VQ Hurricane, smaller wing on the VQ, but fuse is pretty much the same. Cowl can interchange with a little extension on the BT cowl. tail feathers, the same. KMP and BT also pretty similar.

Engine kinda big for the model, but I have one so why not, life is getting shorter each day.

The idea was to have a three blade, but I couldn't secure one at a good price and I didn't take the time to fabricate the blades either. So, I put a 15x14 wood prop on it just for the sake of gathering some data. The recomemeded 2 blades would not clear the ground.

The model comes in at around 10 lbs.

Started with Omega 10% OS f8 plug, ambient temp 68 degrees. Ran up and had a perfect idle. No power to plug at idle, just on its own. 5,700 rpm on ground. extremely low idle, model could sit without moving, even with course pitch on prop. very nice. No spinner, no cowl. 4.0oz home made brass hub on crank for CG.

Model was correctly CGed, over looked by many modelers

The flight went as follows.

Slight head wind, maybe 5-7mph, throttled up slowly, model pulled left a bit, easily corrected with large hurricane rudder and wide LG position, along with slight right thrust built into firewall, added a bit more throttle to around 50%, needed a bit more rudder to correct heading, worked. So with slight up elevator the model lifted off gracefully, with a low angle of attack.

Having a prop that is not on the chart for props it did fly, but slowly. After about 3 min of flight, the engine died, but only due to the muffler coming loose and cutting out the fuel pressure supply. My fault, should have put quality thread lock on muffler.

Sloped it in with minor damage. Slope soaring comes in handy with flame outs.

Next, find a reasonably priced 3 blade or make one for next test flight.

My opinion is the engine is impressive. Once the 2 hour break in is performed, the engine will stay on and run with less leakage.

Hope this helps.

Steve