Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

SP Series sizing question . . . .

Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
tadawson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP Series sizing question . . . .

Some quick advice please. I am looking to use an SP series engine in either a Top Flite 60 sized Corsair, or the 60 sized P-51. Which SP series engine would you recommend? I am inclined to think the 90 myself, but wanted a better source of advice before buying the engine. Oh, and the interest in the SP is to run more scale-like props - I have zero interest in the CD series . . .

- Tim
Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 AM
RCV Engines

Default RE: SP Series sizing question . . . .

Hello Tim,

Assuming your 60 sized Corsair and 60 sized P-51 is referring to a 2 stroke 60, you are absolutely correct the RCV90SP is the engine you need.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks
Angela Peskett
Old 06-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Katman

Tim,

suprisingly there's a pic of a H9 60 size Mustang apparently flying very good with a 60SP(and 4-blade), on the RCV website(60sp gallery-click last pic). Despite delays, i plan to put a 60sp in a H9 Mustang PTS very soon. Only problem w/SP's is they are so heavy, or i'd go w/90. Keep in mind at over 30 ounces ready to go, it weighs a bit more than the 60SP and seems quite heavy even on a 60 size warbird. You'd need a big chunk of tailweight to get CG right? Perhaps that's why a H9 60 Mustang flies good w/60SP, less power but a bit less weight too...the 60 is roughly 23 ounces w/backplate? Btw, that doesn't include added wgt of 4-blade vs 2-blade.

I've gathered from SP owners that while they've got gobs of torque and power, by design(running high pitch multi-blades at lower rpms) typically speeds are more scale-like than very high. That is unless maybe you severely "overpower" your bird?
Here's hoping they come out with a broader range of SP's to fill in the gaps, and a solution to the weight issue. Many are being lost to the competition on these 2 points and these 2 only, i imagine.
RCV, are you listening?
Good luck to you -
Mark
Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
tadawson

Actually, I just looked at the TopFlite site, and although I guess I regard this as a "50 size" plane, they recommend a 90 to 1.20 4-stroke on it . . . I was kind of hoping that someone here had one. My concern is that since the 90 is the low end of the range, and as you mention, they tend to be a tad heavy, that it would be enough. I hadn't honestly considered the 60 . . . .

http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0101.html
http://www.top-flite.com/airplanes/topa0110.html

(I think I may have confused myself - I always wanted to build the P39 (so naturally, they don't make it anymore . . . ) and that truly did have a 60 recommendation . . .)

- Tim
Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

I have a Top Flite 60 size Mustang with a RCV 90SP and a Bolly 4 Blade prop. It runs and flies great, with all of that thrust it is the hit of my club. The only complaint that I have is that it runs too long on a tank of gas. If that's the only complaint about it they must be doing something right.

David
Old 08-21-2007, 10:33 PM
mboland

I have built the Top Flight Gold Edition Corsair 60 and have put an RCV 120SP up front.
The plane is a dream to fly, but needs every bit of power the 120SP can give for takeoff and large loops etc.
It will happily fly at scale speed on half throttle.
Mine came out a bit on the heavy side at 6Kg but this just seems to make it handle more scale like.
The flaps are it's best asset, no trim change at all, just select your decent rate.
Only problems to date is the 2 RCV 120SP's that have died.
I am still waiting on the returned engines for a verdict.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 AM
ton goede

Hello mboland,

Did you have any cooling problems with the sp 120's?, and how is the wear and tear???
I am planning two 120 sp's in a KMP tigercat. grossweight: 10-11 kg's what do you think?
are the 120 sp's reliable engines? and what fuel do you use?

hope you can give me some answers...
thanks,
Ton
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM
mboland

Hi Ton,
I have not had great success with reliability so far. 2 120SP's have so far died in the Corsair plus a lot of vibrational damage in the 12 to 15 flights so far. Initially the local agents were sighting overheating as the cause but now they are saying vibration could be the problem.
The cowl has nearly 6sq" of exit area with the whole top half of the cowl front as entry. Compared to some of the 90SP setups I have seen working the Corsair is a wind tunnel.
I am still waiting to hear what the fate of the two engines sent back to the local agents is going to be.
I purchased a 120SP for the Corsair and even though it failed on the test stand I was impressed enough with the service and replacement to purchase another 2 for a Black Widow I am putting together. At this stage I am reluctant to trust the plane to the 120's.
I can get away with an unexpected dead stick in a single engine plane but to have one motor in a twin die suddenly could be the end of the plane.
I have been trying to contact other 120SP owners for feedback but have had little so far.
Any 120SP owners out there want to put their 2c's worth in, please.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 AM
ton goede

Thanks for the info mboland,
But I realy want to have two reliable engines on the bird. so maybe i have to reconsider then...maybe 2x OS 120 's. hopefuly they can turn a nice 3 blade prop as well.......

Is your Black widdow almost ready??? and how big is the bird???
Old 08-23-2007, 03:22 AM
mboland

Hi Ton,
The Black Widow is the VQ ARF and is 89" in span, comming in at about 22lbs dry weight.
I have also forked out for a Weatronics unit to handle all the electronics, includes a gyro which I will be hooking to the ailrons.

It has the Zollner scale cockpits and the Shinden Machine retracts to suite, both very nice additions.

Here is an early shot of construction

and one of the Corsair

Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM
andi3142001

Hi all,

have a SP 120 running now for 2 hours on the bench, it will pull a scratch built Jeep (foto shows electric driven small prototype),
wingspan 180 cm, weight will be 5,5 kg. My engine runs very reliable with Graupner Titan fuel, 12% Nitro and 15% fully synthetic oil,
simply because I could not find the synthetic/rizinus mixture over here in Austria. Titan Oil is very similar and compatible with Aerosave oil wchich might be more common, however both are claimed to be high end lubricants. So far it works fine.
Reading the post of mboland concerning some lack of power on his Corsair I wonder wether the 120 SP will be strong enough for my Jeep. You said, she cruises scale-like on half power, but take-off runs are long and there is a lack of climb power. Do you use an APC Prop ? Have you tried a 2blade prop to compare performance ? Yes it spoils the scale appearance, but what I have read about the SP´s in the meantime (a lot!) it might be a big difference.
By the way, the corsair looks GREAT!

Andi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19451.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	747811  
Old 08-24-2007, 02:05 PM
ton goede

Hello mboland,
Nice bird's you have there...hope the black widdow will be a nice fling plane...
and I am curious about the 120 sp's how they work out...
still I am not sure what to use on my T-cat...

Ton
Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
mboland

Sadly I have a final solution from RCV on the 120SP problems I have encountered.
"‘RCV have, as a matter of good will, offered to fully reimburse me with the cost of the engines in spite of the fact that it considers the failures are due to aspects outside of its control’"
The local agents here in Australia, Command Controls, were just giving me technobabble answers full of holes and wrong facts, despite (or is that because of) having Mr Brian "bulldust" Winch, as their technical adviser.

RCV would have to be one of (if not 'THE' ) most accomodating and responsive companies to deal with.
I will probably be getting another 58CD for a small P40 I have repaired as the 58CD I have has performed flawlessly and clocked up many, many hours of air time.

The 120SP's on the other hand have a problem here in Australia, and my observations and investigations indicated that it was the 20% oil mix the local agents were telling us to use.
RCV resolved the issues before I had a chance to test the final motor to destruction to prove it.

So anyone having vibration problems, and/or overheating problems with their 120SP, try lowering the oil content to ABSOLUTELY no more than 15%, of which 3% to 5% MUST be Castor (this is RCV's recommendations as per their manual with the motor).

I look forward to any feedback on this.

Bottom line: if you are having any problems with an RCV motor, deal with RCV UK direct. You will be assured of satisfaction.
Just watch out for local agents in "excuse mode".
Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

mboland,

What ever became of the Black Widow with the dual 120SP's? Did you ever get fuel that wouldn't ruin the engines? And what about the Corsair? Love the panel lines you inked in on that one!!! Nice touch! 8-)

Update us please on how things are going with RCV engines "down-under". Thanks!

- Michael
Old 02-03-2008, 02:20 AM
mboland

ORIGINAL: Michael211

mboland,

What ever became of the Black Widow with the dual 120SP's? Did you ever get fuel that wouldn't ruin the engines? And what about the Corsair? Love the panel lines you inked in on that one!!! Nice touch! 8-)

Update us please on how things are going with RCV engines "down-under". Thanks!

- Michael
As per my post above, I have returned the RCV 120SP's to RCV and received a full refund. Twas a shame really, I did like those motors and 2 of them would have sounded ausome in the Black Widow. I purchased 2 Saito 125's for the black widow which is now ready for ground trials and final flying inspection and approval (heavy model certificate required in this country if the model is over 7kg, the Black Widow comes in at 11.9kg).

I did purchase a second RCV 58CD and is running as sweetly as the first. Pity the CMP P-40 it is in is such a dud.

I have posted some pics of the Widow in the P-61 build thread in the Twin Engine forum.

The Corsair now has a Super Tiger 90 2 stroke, yeah I know, just doesn't sound the same. I was a bit disappointed with the pull using a 2 blade prop as it would lose momentum very easily in a climb or loop, but a 3 blade seems to have fixed that.

The local RCV agent down here will do nothing but lose local business for RCV. They have the attitude of 'we are the experts and this is why it's your fault' method of problem resolution.

Even after these issues with the 120SP I still have faith in RCV UK as a very responsive and responsible company to deal with.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Michael211
My Feedback: (1)

So even though it was the fuel you were using that was (apparently) destroying the SP's, you decided not to go with them? That'sa pity, as I'm sure the Widow would have been totally awesome with those engines in flight! :-(

Regards and best wishes and many happy landings!

- Michael