Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

rcv60 sp ***!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM
dave0955

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rcv60 sp ***!!!

Not sure what the hell is wrong with this motor but I'm about finished with the aggravation already.
Went from running like a champ (for a short short time) to unable to start in less than a year.
I choke it until fuel is spilling out the carb and it hardly makes a pop. New OS F plugs, 10%, 15% cool power, no difference.
Im at a loss here, read and tried everything posted on this forum and no luck.

1. Using a H9 Heavy Duty Starter and starting it from the rear as recomended.
2. 10% or 15% Cool Power makes no difference.
3. OS Type "F" plugs, lots of glow
4. Main Needle valve from 2 to 4 turns, no difference.
5. Idel screw back to factory setting, tried it 3 and 4 turns out from closed no difference. (with throttle wide open)

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. This engine is heading for the dump if something doesnt give soon. At my witts end
Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 PM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: rcv60 sp ***!!!

try shooting fuel in the carb and see if it tries to start, mabe something blocking the fuel line. just a thought. hop it helps
Old 05-27-2008, 12:28 AM
dave0955

Default RE: rcv60 sp ***!!!

Good idea and I did try that prior to posting the prob. Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
mboland

Default RE: rcv60 sp ****!!!

I have a vague recollection that the idle is set from all the way OUT.
Best solution I have found (means I don't even have to remember which way is closed) is to use a length of fuel tube and with the throttle in the closed position blow through the tube. Adjust your idle needle until you get just a small amount of air bleed, then open a quarter turn.
It should give you a place to start.

I found the 120SP vibrated the idle closed a couple of times and it sounds like what you are experiencing.
It was doing this trick that alerted me.
It will also indicate if you have a blockage.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
RCV Engines

In reply to dave0955

Sorry to read that you are having problems with your engine. I have discussed this with our Chief Technician, as you will appreciate it is difficult to remotely diagnose, however we suspect it maybe related to the timing of the engine. Would it be possible for you to check this.

We would appreciate it if you could contact us direct on [email protected] with your engine and contact details.

Many thanks

Stephanie
Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 AM
dave0955

Thanks for the input.
Took the carb apart today (3rd time now), checked it over for blockages etc..., nil found. Reset the idle needle.
Mounted it on the engine stand and tried everything I know. Not a burp, nothing is working. Motor just wont fire.
Plenty of fuel there, lots of glow, just no bang bang.
I've spent more time tinkering with this engine since I got it than it has run. Have about a gallon and a half thru it. Basically broke it in and got a couple runs in.
The confusing issue is, it ran great then just stopped firing on day.
Want to get it going for the sake of the cowling on my Mig 3 but at the end of my road now. Would really like to fly rather than tinker.
Thinking I'll carve the cowl and go with a Magnum.
Have to see what RCV will charge for servicing this engine first.
Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 AM
dave0955

Steph, I'll check the timing on the engine, pretty much the only thing I havent done yet. I'll let you know the results.
Out of curiosity, on a new engine with less than 2 gallons thru it, how and why would the timing go???

Very aggravated with this engine, IMHO no engine deserves the time or aggravation spent already, considering the amount of fuel thru it.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:33 AM
andi3142001

Hello,

1) maybe the breather outlet is blocked.
2) Does your engine still have compression?

regards
Andi
Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 AM
dave0955

Yes lots of compression, the problem is not compression and as I said, there are no blockages, 125psi of compressed air took take care of any chances of that. Fully inspected prior to blowing it out and there were no blockages anyway. Carb rebuilt 3x now.
Thanks for input.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
mboland

This is probably quite silly, but I am suggesting it only because we did it once.

Have you got the electric starter spinning the opposite way as it should.

We must have tried to start this thing for half an hour one day, trying different things, until I looked at the tank and air was being bubbled out of the clunk.
Then it struck me like a kick from a mule (or was that Jack Ass) and I looked at the starter leads.
Sure enough red was on positive, black on negative, doooohhh [:@]

Swapped em over an she fired first kick.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
LeeHop

mboland -

I think that's a brilliant suggestion even if it's not the answer to this particular problem.
Why? Because it's just the kind of mistake I would make!

Don't overlook the simple stuff...
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Juice

Dave...

Here are some thoughts...

1) I made the exact same mistake that mboland did. Caught on video at the 20 second mark of [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU0RrCmR7Sc]this video[/link].

2) In general, my RCVs like a sloppy wet prime before starting.

3) If the gears are tight for some reason, there may be too much friction to start the engine. One time, after one winter of hibernation, the gears of my 90SP felt a little tight and it wouldn't start. I primed it with the nose pointing up (2 man job if it's on an airplane) to get the fuel and oil to the back where the gears are. Once the gears were lubbed up, the engine started on the next flip.

4) Low end needle may be too lean. Turn it out so that it's definately too RICH. If it starts then you've found the problem, but now you have to find the correct low end needle setting to keep it running.

5) Are you using a remote glow adapter? If so, make sure the circuit it complete. When I test the circuit, I unscrew the glow plug, clip the circuit to the loose glow plug, attached the glow ignitor battery, then touch the end of the glow plug to the cooling fins and look for a glow. Did that make sense?

Does it sound completely dead as it turns over? Or does it sound like it fires as it turns over, but doesn't catch?

Juice
Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
andi3142001

Another idea.... if its not the engine, maybe its the fuel? Perhaps too old?

regards
Andi
Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
dave0955

Hi guys, thanks for all the input.
Fuel is good, not to old, glow is good and I am using a remote glow starter, no problem with the circuit.
Hahaha, as far as starting it backwards, nope, I have the leads reversed on the starter and the prop was spinning the proper direction, not a problem there either.
The one thing that was noticable was I could smell the glow fuel burning, you know that hot smell. The engine just wouldnt fire no way no how.
As far as the needles go, I had them set right, the engine ran great, then just stopped one day and wouldnt fire again. No hibernation involved. The difference a day makes lol.
As far as priming, there wa no shortage of fuel in the carb, was pretty wet.
Sent it in to BJ's Engine service yesterday. I'll post whatever the problem was once they inform me.
Hopefully nothing I did anyway.
Thanks again for all the input, much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Katman

Dave,

your feelings(and experience) sounds similar to mine with the 60SP....
Mine had about 6 hrs runtime and 1/2 gal of Omega thru it, ran ok but nowhere near reliable enough for flying by any means. Odd stuff like usually shutting off when brought from high throttle settings to idle. Rough running. Suddenly got even worse, for no reason.
BJ's will get it straightened out for you as they did me. On mine, it was carb problems. For starters they machined the carb "flange", and replaced a fiber washer to metal i believe. Seemed to do the trick, am very pleased w/mine and was worth the trouble. Not sure how common this is, but RCV should be addressing things like this at the factory, to save buyers this trouble of sending it to BJ's. It makes me leery to buy another unless it's been given these "updates" and green light by BJ's. Headaches and wasted time. But like i said now very happy with mine - a great running, strong engine and has a few flights now tightly cowled in a Mustang with no cooling issues. I plan to get a larger SP for a larger plane one day.

Something to be aware of - fuel consumption will be much higher(about double for me)when using Coolpower(synthetic) instead of Omega(castor). So bad that i switched back. Originally i thought it had to do with going from 10% nitro to 15% - but Juice had this exact same issue with his 90SP and he didn't change nitro. No solid explanation yet - RCV thinks it may be the castor fuel is "thicker", but that goes against the fact when i switched back to Omega my idle needle had to be leaned roughly a turn(and it's STILL on the rich side). With both fuels i set it to rise about 3 - 400rpm with glow connected and didn't lean further. Sure enough, runtime went from 20 min back up to around 35 - 40 min/per tank.

Let us know what the prognosis ends up w/your engine!

Katman
Old 08-05-2008, 03:22 PM
dave0955

Well, got the 60SP back almost month and a half ago [:-]. Completely upgraded to the latest 60SP specifications. Sure looks good .
Anyway, the railway has been taking up all my time [:@] so I just got to the engine yesterday to test it out .
Fires up righ away.. One quick little hit with the starter and BAM its running.
I managed to put a tank through it and really didnt notice any problems other than an unreliable idle. Could be my setup in the airplane though.
Will adjust the trim on the throttle assembly and the radio. Also going to give the tank and the lines a good going over. Will purchase some Omega 15% as well.
Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice, assistance and shared their experiences.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 AM
andi3142001

Thats fine to hear. So did RCV make any comments on what was wrong with the engine?

regards
Andi
Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 PM
dave0955

No, RCV had nothing to say after the repair.
They suspected the timing when the problems started, and had BJ's get in touch.
BJ's did a great job updating the engine. Not like an old leaky Harley Davidson anymore hahaha and for a bonus, the starter screw no longer flies off!!!!

What bugs me is the motor was still boxed, in the bag covered in oily gunk. Was never ever run or turned but RCV, when given the serial number would not warranty engine. Reason: motor was purchased via E-Bay and not an authorized dealer. Lesson learned.
Regardless, I wont buy another RCV anytime soon anyway, sticking to OS 2 strokes and Saito 4 strokes for now. Reliabiltiy is paramount and so far, this RCV60SP has to prove itself. I am hopefull it will do just that.
Yup, sounds nice, cowls beautifully but has been expensive and not yet proven its worth.
We'll see this week when the Mig 3 takes flight.