Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Chirping Noise during Idle RCV-58

Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
APMECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping Noise during Idle RCV-58

Hello,

I have purchased a RCV58CD and a RCV91CD the 58 for use in a Great Planes Escapade, and the 91 for a VQ P-40. I have only run the 58 so far. Doing the running in procedures. It seems to run really well... Just have one question after running at the prescribed 6000 rpm per the manual, I bring it back to idle and let it cool a bit during the idle maybe 60-120 seconds. During the idle the engine will have a "Chirping"sound that goes away if you bump the throttle up a little bit and bring it back down and it will slowly come back. Is this bad or is this just kind of normal run in sounds. Engine runs really good, seems to have alot of power. I am running rich like the manual said. I did adjust the low end needle after the first hour of running in, per the manual to lean out the mid range a little bit... Seems to have gotten much more powerful. But that quirky chirp happens around 2100-2350 rpm, it seems to vibrate much more when it makes this sound.

Thank you-

Erik
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 AM
keithlawes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chirping Noise during Idle RCV-58

Hi Erik

From Keith Lawes, technical director RCV Engines

Your engine does have a minor fault. What happens is that the cylinder is not tight enough fit in the cylinder bearing (the large diameter bearing its rotating within.)

The cylinder should be a tight fit in this bearing. However on yours because its slightly loose when on idle the vacuum on the inlet stroke (when the piston descends with the throttle almost closed) will suck the cylinder down so that the gears overmesh. The gears overmeshing causes the chirping sound.

At higher throttles the high combustion pressures force the cylinder up into its correct position causing the noise to disapper.

Although not essential its probably best if you get this fixed. As you probably know our sales and service agent in the UK is now Weston UK. 01795 521030.

This is a rare problem and your 91 should be fine.

Apologies for the inconvenience and hope this helps

Keith