Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Will SP's run safely on Bekra 10?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 AM
walts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will SP's run safely on Bekra 10?

Keith,
I have just received my 120sp I bought s/h. I also have a 90sp I bought new from RCV over 2 years ago. I noticed that since Weston UK took over distribution of RCV engines in the UK that they now recommend Prosynth 2000 fuel. Prosynth is one of those fuels where the manuf. wont disclose the composition, but guessing from it's name I would suspect it to be a completely synthetic fuel. I don't really want to run castor anymore in these engines as the 90 showed signs of gunking up with visible varnish over the fins around the front end.
My question is, can these engines be ran safely on Bekra 10, which is a composition of 18% fully synthetic oil made up from a mixture of EDL2 & Klotz oil with 10% nitro, as I have a gallon of this stuff lying around and I'd like to start bench running both these engines again and try and get them well run in on the bench properly before fitting them to models.
Cheers,
Walts.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
walts

Default RE: Will SP's run safely on Bekra 10?

OK, I decided to use up the Bekra 10 fuel, so ran the 120sp for a total of 3hours over the weekend. most of the running was done at 3000rpm to free up the engine before it was leaned out to 5100rpm. I'm getting an idle speed of 1600rpm at the end of the 3hours running, so maybe it needs some more losening up, ( or that could be the 17 x 13 prop being a bit on the small side) but I'm pretty pleased with the way this engine is performing already! It actually sounds a lot better than my 90sp ever did too, with more exhaust note than mechanical noise. The oil I collected in an old airbrush pot was nice and clean like golden syrup, and not the filthy black stuff that my 90 was chucking out when ran on Duraglo 10. I used up all the Bekra now, So I think I'll get a gallon of Tech power next and re tune the engine for it's slightly less oil content and see how that compares.
After this I think I'll give the 90sp the same treatment, see if I can get that running as nice too
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
walts

I picked up a gallon of Tech power today which has 15% EDL2 plus SICAL and 10% nitro. I ran a couple of tanks throught the 120sp, and whilst the Bekra ran the engine fine, I'd say the tech power was even better. I got the engine down to 1400rpm tick over no problem, and it was peaking at 5700rpm on the 17 x 13 APC. after 3 & 3/4 hours running on the test bench I'm pretty satisfied that It's bedded in nicely now, and doesn't show any signs of over heating. I'll leave it now until I get the three blade prop I'm going to fly it on, then do some more bench runs to see how it goes before fitting it to the model. Time to give the 90sp the same treatment on the bench now I think

Walts.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 AM
keithlawes

Hi walts

We switched from endurance testing using part castor part synthetic to fully sythetic a few years ago. To be honest have seen no trouble with either so I'm confident its safe to proceed. EDL in particular we have found to be an extremely good oil, doesn't form carbon until higher temperatures than other oils.

Only fuel we have ever had trouble with was straight castor. That caused misfires in mid range

Regards

Keith
Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM
walts

Thanks for the reply Keith,
I have repaired my 90sp with parts I bought from RCV after it suffered a front bearing failure overheating in my Hurricane. I have bench ran the engine for 3 hours over the weekend on Tech power and it is running lovely again I want to refit it to the Hurricane and fly it again this coming weekend. The problem I'm having with the Hurricane is getting sufficiant cooling air in to the cowl and over the engine. I'm going to try something I read on your customer page, where a guy had drilled a series of holes in the back plate of the spiner to allow air to flow directly in to the engine. I'll probably have to open up the cut outs a bit more around the prop blades too to get the air in. At the moment I have a small inlet hole in the chin of the cowl with a deflector plate trying to push the air up over the engine, but the exhaust runs right through the middle of this deflector then a larger hole at the back of the cowl underneath. I'll try opening up this exit hole more as it is mostly filled up by the exhaust at the moment and see how it goes with the spinner cooling plus bigger exit.........I'll let you know

Cheers,
Walts.