Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Loose High Speed Needle...RCV 1.20sp

Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Razmo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose High Speed Needle...RCV 1.20sp

I have a new 1.20sp and noticed that the high speed needle has quite a bit of play when opened. When fully closed, it seats fine and feels solid. However, when I open the needle to the recommended 2 turns (less or more) open for break-in, it's very loose feeling. This doesn't seem normal, can anyone confirm?

My idea is to wrap the threads with some teflon tape to achieve a tight fit. Thoughts..?

Raz
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 AM
mboland

Default RE: Loose High Speed Needle...RCV 1.20sp

Teflon tape only works when tightening a thread. As soon as you reverse the rotation you will loose the seal.

We use fuel tubing over the needle AND base to form a seal with good success. Can be a bit of job stretching it on, but when in place it will seal well for ages.

OR

Try finding a bigger 'O' ring for the needle, maybe an OS or similar.

The carby's on the RCV really do let them down (as does the exhaust).
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Razmo

Interesting, okay looks like the Teflon tape isn't the solution. Thanks.

Can you help me to understand your fuel tubing method? I don't understand where you are fitting the fuel tubing. Do you mean you slip a piece of fuel tubing slightly above the threads of the high speed needle, therefore the tubing acta as a bushing?

P.S. Can you suggest any protective measures I should take with the exhaust?

Thanks,
Raz
Old 08-05-2010, 01:27 PM
mboland

The fuel tubing just slips over the needle and the tube the needle screws into

A pic is easier than words

If the muffler is the standard one with the pressed in end, then it WILL blow the end out.
I found the only effective way of keeping it together was a bead of weld around the end plug seam.
Same as the OS mufflers, they have the end welded on.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85193.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1478526  
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Arruda

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"/><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"/><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"/><link rel="File-List" href="file:///D:\DOCUME~1\bc18\CONFIG~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_fi lelist.xml"></link><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles></xml><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object><style>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</style><style><! Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}@page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;}div.Section1 {page:Section1;}></style><style> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Tabela normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/></xml><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml>

Razmo:<o></o>

I have anRCV 90SP and also had trouble with the O ring in the needle. It didn’t resistthe methanol for long and the needle screwed in with vibration, leaning themixture until the engine stopped.<o></o>

The new oneI bought from RCV is doing better (knock in the wood).<o></o>

As per themuffler, there is no simple solution. <o></o>

Some peoplehave good results replacing it with an OS muffler, that has a welded tip.<o></o>

I tried theOS muffler but, in my case, the pressure nipple came off with the highertemperature of the engine. The result was a flame out in the air!<o></o>

After thatI bought a custom muffler from Weston <st1lace w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region></st1lace> but didn’t try it yet (no planefor this engine at the moment).<o></o>

I knowKeleo Creations have a nice muffler for your engine. <o></o>

Mysuggestion is: use the original muffler on the bench until the tip came off. Thenreplace it with one of these aftermarkets. Never fly with the original muffler.<o></o>

Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Razmo

I understand now, thanks so much for the picture. You mean to slip the fuel tubing over both ends. I was thinking of filling the gap around the needle instead.

I may try a wrapping the threads with some teflon tap, simply to thicken up the thread so it's a tighter fit. Have you tried this?

I'll be sure to take a look at the exhaust tonight...

Raz
Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Razmo

Arruda,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my needle seems very loose. Enough to irritate the mixture setting it seems. It seems that a thicker 0 ring may do the trick aling with the fuel tubing solution that mboland mentioned.

RCV, are you going to chime in here? Would you mind sending me a set of O rings that would help tighten up my needle. That is of course, unless you can send me a better fitting high speed needle.

Thanks,
Raz
Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Razmo

Regarding the muffler, any tried some High Temp JB Weld? Supposedly, withstands temperatures up to 500° F.

Raz
Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Arruda

Yes, I have tried JB Weld. It didnt work.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I put a peice of tubing over the needle. It was a bear getting it on there though. Get the largest you can get and maybe heat it up a bit to soften it up.

Grinder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50697.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1478782  
Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Razmo

Thanks for all the input guys!

Raz
Old 08-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Razmo

You guys pulled the clicker off the carb, right? I pulled the clicker off and fit some fuel tubing over the needle valve. Seems to work nicely. Hope to break her in tomorrow morning.

Also, any reason I shouldn't use my APC 3 blade 15.75x13 for break-in?

Thanks,
Raz