RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RCV Engines Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/)
-   -   RCV 58CD Running In over heating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/3622922-rcv-58cd-running-over-heating.html)

jnjong 12-06-2005 02:08 AM

RCV 58CD Running In over heating

Hi,

I tried running in my new 58CD last weekend but encounter problem. I am using Master AirScrew 12x6 with Byron fuel.

Running-in (1).

I followed the 58CD manual Section 5 – Running In and I set main needle at 2 turns open, engine starts ok after doing 30 sec of engine warm up (no problem here). Remove glow heater and no decrease of rpm found before increasing throttle to 1/4 or running at about 6000 rpm.

Completed the first 15 minutes without problem but doing hand feeling found the engine is really hot & notice dark green oil at the 'prop driver' while the 'crankcase breather' giving out lots of darkest green oil.

Running-in (2).

Let it cool down for 15 mins or so and restarted engine for correction of carburetor setting. Open the throttle to full and close the main needle by 1/4 but kept the slightly rich of the peak and immediately return the throttle back about 6000 rpm. For few second running at 6000 rpm then increase the throttle for short full burst run but in less than 1 minutes on full open barrel the engine die out by itself. Engine very hot to touch so left it to cool again.

Running-in (3).

Starting 58CD is easy in all running. Try to increase the rpm for full short burst again and in less than 2 mins it die out again. I even increase the turn from 2 turns to 3 or 4 turns and still does not help.

1. Where am I doing wrong?

2. Could this be due to overheating?

3. Do I need to increase the idle needle?

3. By the way, is the secondary needle is the idle needle?

4. Should I increase the load slowly at 2 turns open? Example: 1st 15 mins at 6000 rpm, 2nd 15 mins at 7000 rpm, 3rd 15 mins at 9000 rpm and so on.

Tq & Regards,
Juano

RCV Engines 12-07-2005 06:14 AM

RE: RCV 58CD Running In over heating

Hi Juano

I believe you have been communicating with my colleague Angela regarding your 58CD. As you have now posted your query on RCUniverse, we will respond on this forum instead as other RCV users may be interested.

In terms of the process, you are running in your engine in correctly. However from what you are describing it sounds as if you are running your engine too lean. The engine is set up in the UK factory however the actual setting of the secondary needle (or idle needle) will be dependent on fuel used and prop size.

During run in, it is important to set the idle needle slightly richer to avoid the engine stopping. What you are experiencing sounds like the engine is set too lean. There are instructions on how to richen the idle needle in your instruction manual.

I hope this helps
Best regards
Laurenne

jnjong 12-07-2005 10:19 AM

Hi, Laurenne,

Yes I was communicating with Angela regarding my 58CD and she has been very helpful.

Thanks for your reply and certainly I will turn the idle needle by 1/4 open first (is that ok) and hope it would solve the running in problem in this coming Saturday.

I guess you might want to know I am using the following items for my 58CD running-in.

1. I am using OS type F glow plug as recommend for RCV engines.

2. Fuel is from Byron 15% Premium Sport 4-cycle with16% of oil content.

3. I am using Master Airscrew 12x6 K series prop.

Do you think I still need to run-in another 15mins at about 6000rpm again?

Thank you & best regards,
Juano Jong

RCV Engines 12-07-2005 10:34 AM

Hi Juano

It wouldn't harm running the engine for another 15mins at 6000 rpm, however the important thing would be to get the idle sorted to ensure the engine doesn't run too lean.

Thanks for the update
Best regards
Laurenne

jnjong 12-20-2005 04:34 AM

Hi, Laurenne,

I recheck the engine before re-run the engine. I decided to reset the low end back to manufacturer recommendation that is 4 turns open and restart the engine.

After reset of low end, first cold start is not working. Increase the low end by 1/4 turn but still fail to start. Few more turns & start up finally end up with 5.5 turns open in order the engine could start. With the 5.5 turns it did not die out when I open the increase the throttle rapidly but a lot of oil is licking out of the carb. My high end is still remaining at 2 turns open.

I will try to get the right turns to reduce fuel licking out from carb head.

RCV Engines 12-20-2005 05:29 AM

Hi Juano

It is difficult to give you any more advise, as when the engine left the factory a couple of months ago it was individually set up and tested.
Ray, our chief tester is now on holiday until 3rd Jan, so I will see if he has any more suggestions when he gets back.

Best regards
Laurenne

RCV Engines 01-04-2006 11:30 AM

Hi Juano

Thank-you for your patience with this matter.
I have spoken with one of our chief engineers and we are unable to suggest any further recommendations.

Instead I think the best course of action would be for us to send you a new tested 58CD. You could then check this under the same conditions, and assuming it works, post the other 58CD back to us.

If you could email me confirmation of your delivery address ([email protected]) I will arrange for the new engine to be despatched.

Best regards
Laurenne