RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RCV Engines Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/)
-   -   STRIPPED ALLEN ON VERTICAL STARTER (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/4613302-stripped-allen-vertical-starter.html)

YORAM1955 08-12-2006 06:07 AM

STRIPPED ALLEN ON VERTICAL STARTER

While trying to start my new 120SP the allen socket on the gear starter was stripped. What part do I need to replace it and what is the procedure to replace it?
Many thanks
Yoram Shalev

RCV Engines 08-16-2006 07:58 AM

RE: STRIPPED ALLEN ON VERTICAL STARTER

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding. Have you actually stripped the internal thread or the starter screw itself?
If it is the former this would involve a replacement crankshaft. How are you starting the engine? Are you using a drill? This tends to be the main (if not only cause) of stripping the internal thread, hence we highlight that a drill should not be used.

If it is the starter screw, let me know and I will advise you how to remove this.

We may need your details, in which case please email [email protected]

Best regards
Laurenne

YORAM1955 08-16-2006 08:32 AM

Thanks for the answer. I stripped the internal allen cup where one inserts the tip of the allen wand which was supplied with the engine. I used a Sullivan High torque starter on 24 V. Due to this happening, I put a spinner and started from the prop, which is fine for the test stand, but in the model I would rather use the rear starting option.
Thanks
Yoram

RCV Engines 08-16-2006 09:13 AM

Okay
What you wil need to do is strip down the engine (as per the instructions). Then the crankshaft webb held in a smooth jaw vice and remove the screw with a tool/grip. Replace the screw and reassemble (there is a spare with your engine).
I have to say that this is very rare if the right tools are used. Could you please ensure that the starting adapter hex isn't worn

I hope this helps
Laurenne

YORAM1955 08-16-2006 12:42 PM

Thanks Laurenne
I actually used the brand new allen wand for the starter that was provided with the engine, but apparently the wand was not vertical when I pressed the starter switch.
Thanks
Yoram

RCV Engines 08-17-2006 02:34 AM

Okay, no problem

If you need any further help, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Laurenne

YORAM1955 08-18-2006 06:15 AM

Thanks, your support is second to none.
Yoram

mfranke 08-29-2006 07:55 PM

Yoram
I'm sure Laurenne will recomend against this. But how did a nose-on starter work?. I've been hand propping beause the wand socket was just in a bad spot on my Stearman. After an prop vs finger last weeked and 14 stiches I'm swearing off hand propping. I love the RCV 120 and have orderd the High torque Sullivan Starter.