RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RCV Engines Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/)
-   -   RCV 60 is kind of stiff what to do? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rcv-engines-support-145/5026904-rcv-60-kind-stiff-what-do.html)

JoeyCoates 11-22-2006 12:10 PM

RCV 60 is kind of stiff what to do?

Hello, I have a RCV 60 that is mounted in a Gret Planes Cub. I bought the engine about three years ago and after break in while flying it locked up. I recieved a warranty number from RCV and sent it in for warranty work, it turns out that the large bearing around the cylinder had lost its cage and the bearing material caused the engine to lock up. They service center replaced the bearing and sent it back at which time I went through the breakin procedure again. I ran it on a bench for well over three hours on and off letting it heat cycle. Once I had done this it started and ran very well. After I re-broke it in I put some after run oil in it and put it back in the box. It sat there for over a year as I was just working on other projects and last night I took it out to re-mount it in the cub. When I went to turn it over it was kind of stiff, it has good compession but it feels like the cylinder is maybe a little bit gummed up even though I had put after run oil in it. I took broke the engine apart (I am pretty good at this now) and while the crank shaft in the back end turns over easily, the main barrel/cylinder feels like some fuel may have gummed up in it, it just does not turn over very freely. Should I start it and let the heat work the stiffness out, or should I soak the cylinder in kerosene or gas to break up any gumming? It is not so stiff that it is hard to turn over, but it does not rotate freely. Just looking for some advise before I mess something up. Thanks

RCV Engines 11-28-2006 04:04 AM

RE: RCV 60 is kind of stiff what to do?

Hi Joey

Sorry for the delay in replying. It is possible if it was sat for a while (year) without all of the fuel being removed from the engine, then a bearing may have corroded causing this stiffness.
You have two options really,
1) try and run it, should should notice within a minute or two if it doesn't ease up
2) send it for a service, I can supply you with the authorised RCV service centre

Please let me know how you get on
Best regards
Laurenne

JoeyCoates 11-30-2006 08:59 PM

Well, I went ahead and started it up (took some work) but after a quick 10 minuite flight it turns over great and it ran great. I now have my eye on a Fokker DR-1 that I think it will look great in... Thanks

RCV Engines 12-01-2006 03:48 AM

Hi Joey

Thats great news - it had obviously decided to protest at not being used ;)

I'm pleased it is working well now
Best regards
Laurenne