Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Twister XB Pro dilemma...please help

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Twister XB Pro dilemma...please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
back2black

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twister XB Pro dilemma...please help

I purchased two new XB pros and charged both batteries for 3 hours. One battery elicited just a flicker of power to the esc fan and the receiver light and the front wheels could turn. Then after about 15 seconds, it died. The other battery got gave up no juice at all. Andf I tried on both cars. When both batts charged with the supplied wall chargers, they got warm, as did the chargers themselves...typical from past experience with wall chargers. So I know there was something going on there. But no matter what I can't get a flicker of power at all. So do the supplied batteries or chargers from redcat tend to have these issues right out of the box? or am i doing something wrong here. I just don't get it.
Thanks for any help!

B2b
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Twister XB Pro dilemma...please help

i know someone who got a dud charger with their caldera. but thats the only one i know of. its VERY unlikely you got 2 bad chargers or batts.

the batts should charge for 5-8 hours.

the ESC on that truck has low voltage detection. its setup to safetly run lipos. so, if the batts are not charged fully the esc will cut power(thinking its a lipo reading under 3.1v per cell)

charge the batts again. if you own another charger, try that one. if not, leave the batts on the stock charger over 5 hours. then try again.

also, i assume you had the radios turned on?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Did your charger come with an adaptor to convert the charger plug to the t style plug on the battery? If it did make sure the polarity is correct on the adaptor for pos and neg.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 PM
back2black

Okay guys thanks for the input so far!  I looked at the adapter and the wire markings do not match up.  Maybe the adapter plug wiring is switched.  So help me clear things up, regardless of the adapter.

The wires leading out of the charger are mostly grey/white colored and the other is primarily black colored with specification print. 

Which wire leading out of the charger should the red (pos) battery wire go to ?  The black one or the grey one?

Thanks again!

B2b
Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i know someone who got a dud charger with their caldera. but thats the only one i know of. its VERY unlikely you got 2 bad chargers or batts.

the ESC on that truck has low voltage detection. its setup to safetly run lipos. so, if the batts are not charged fully the esc will cut power(thinking its a lipo reading under 3.1v per cell)

charge the batts again. if you own another charger, try that one. if not, leave the batts on the stock charger over 5 hours. then try again.

3.1v per cell is pretty low.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: back2black

Okay guys thanks for the input so far! I looked at the adapter and the wire markings do not match up. Maybe the adapter plug wiring is switched. So help me clear things up, regardless of the adapter.

The wires leading out of the charger are mostly grey/white colored and the other is primarily black colored with specification print.

Which wire leading out of the charger should the red (pos) battery wire go to ? The black one or the grey one?

Thanks again!

B2b
there have been some adapters that were shipped out that are wired backwards.

start with the batt. the red wire(positive) when plugged into the adapter should lead to the square port on the tamiya(white) plug.
if it leads to the port with that is rounded, then the adapter is wires backwards. thus, the charger did not charge the batts at all.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

3.1v per cell is pretty low.

not really. sure, most ESC's will cutoff around 3.2v per cell. i have run some lipos down to 2.9v per cell and they charged fine.
remember, there is a difference between the voltage shown when the lipo is under load, and when the lipo is at rest.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: back2black

Okay guys thanks for the input so far! I looked at the adapter and the wire markings do not match up. Maybe the adapter plug wiring is switched. So help me clear things up, regardless of the adapter.

Which wire leading out of the charger should the red (pos) battery wire go to ? The black one or the grey one?

Thanks again!

B2b
there have been some adapters that were shipped out that are wired backwards.

start with the batt. the red wire(positive) when plugged into the adapter should lead to the square port on the tamiya(white) plug.
if it leads to the port with that is rounded, then the adapter is wires backwards. thus, the charger did not charge the batts at all.
you got lucky it didn't make your charger smoke like it did to mine got lucky that i was using the stock one that comes in the box!