Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

RedCat Lighting STR , RTR Will not Move

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

RedCat Lighting STR , RTR Will not Move

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 PM
djchip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedCat Lighting STR , RTR Will not Move

Hey Guys ,

this is my first post and i use to be into NItro back in the days and now im starting to get back into it , anyways i got a redcat racing Lighting STR RTR Nitro car, , i got it tunned and i was breaking in my motor , i made it idle for a whole tank and then do 8's for an other tank on the third tank i filled it up and turned it on , this time i accelereted and the car would not move at all, and it will only idle for around 30 seconds before it turns off , i checked the glow plug and the engine and everything is correct , changed batteries and checked the servos and carb. all correct . what do you think it could be ? could it be the driveshaft or something ? or possible the transmission ? bought it like 4 days ago, Heres a video of my RC:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYoIBTFKqc
Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 AM
BoodaRC

Default RE: RedCat Lighting STR , RTR Will not Move

when you accelerate then it shuts off? or if you leave it idle it'll shut off??

Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 AM
djchip

it does not accelrate when i shut it off at all, and when in on idle , it idles for around 30 seconds then shuts off while before it wouldnt shut off when on idle
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: djchip

it does not accelrate when i shut it off at all, and when in on idle , it idles for around 30 seconds then shuts off while before it wouldnt shut off when on idle
so, when you try to accelerate the motor rpm's dont go up?

Or is it that the motor rpm's do go up but the car still doesnt move?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 AM
djchip

yes the RPM does go up normally yet it does not move at all .
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

yes the RPM does go up normally yet it does not move at all .
can you push the model on the ground and all the tires turn freely?

If so, then there may be a loose drive cup(what the dog bones go into)

when you accelerate the model, does the spur gear and pinion gear(motor gear) turn?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
djchip

i belive the do not turn freely and when i turn it on the spur gear does not turn at all . i will check better later on afterwork . and possbile put a video to show it better , unless we fix this
Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i belive the do not turn freely and when i turn it on the spur gear does not turn at all . i will check better later on afterwork . and possbile put a video to show it better , unless we fix this
Ok, if the spur gear...and wheels dont turn freely then something is jammed or stuck.

make sure nothing got stuck between the spur and pinion gear....

then spin 1 tire...and see if the opposite tire turns(should turn opposite direction) do this to both the front and rear. this will check if the diffs are bad.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
djchip

both tires spin the oposite directions , freely seems nothing is stuck, you think it might the drive shaft ?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

both tires spin the oposite directions , freely seems nothing is stuck, you think it might the drive shaft ?
IDK, can you turn the spur gear by hand?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
djchip

no i cannot , its seems rather hard to turn by hand
Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 AM
djchip

Heres a video of my RC : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYoIBTFKqc
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Heres a video of my RC : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYoIBTFKqc
nice vid.

have you checked the brake linkage? could it be still applied even when you are not applying brake on the radio?

if the brake isnt sticking, then you have an odd problem. the spur "can" turn but clearly doesnt spin freely. The brake is really the only thing i can think of other than the spur/pinion gear mesh being too tight.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 AM
djchip

how can i lesson or get the brake linkage unstock if it is ( have to check after work) also is it normal for it to turn on and the Clutchbell no turning
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

how can i lesson or get the brake linkage unstock if it is ( have to check after work) also is it normal for it to turn on and the Clutchbell no turning
the clutch bell should not turn while the motor is idling. when the motor's rpm's get high enough, the clutch shoes inside the clutch bell overcome the springs holding them and move outward toward the inside of the clutch bell, thus grabbing it and turning it with the motor's crankshaft.

i believe that on the end of the brake linkage (the end that has fuel tubing on it) there is a black adjustment screw/knob.

but you could also adjust the throttle trim on your radio. watch the linkage as you do, and you should see it either pull the brake linkage or push it. you want it to push it toward the front of the car to take pressure off the brake pad.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
djchip

Will try that when i get home , hope thats it if not idk what else it could be , could it be the drive cups be loose ?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Will try that when i get home , hope thats it if not idk what else it could be , could it be the drive cups be loose ?
thing is, a loose drive cup shouldnt make the spur gear and wheels hard to turn. if a drive cup was loose, the spur should turn from the motor's power but not be able to send that power to the wheels.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the brake is stuck I had the same problem with my Tornado which has the same tranny and brake setup.  The brake would drag and get the disc so hot it would get stuck to the pads like it was welded.  Rolling the car by hand would not crack it loose, you would actually have to take a small wiring screwdriver and separate it from the pad.  I could never figure out why the brake would not fully release.  It had slack when checking the linkage but for some reason it wouldn't release all the way when operating the car.  I wound up making a brake return spring and attached it to the brake linkage.  After that I never had anymore problems.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 AM
BoodaRC

from the video seems like the brakes are stoping it.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
djchip

Sorry for the super late reply, finally got my internet back , as for the car i was checking the spur gear and it seemed tightened i tried unscrewing the engine to move it but the screws would not loosen, so i unscrewed the transmission and sure enough it works now but it seems the i have to change the gear mesh but the engine screws will not loosen there is no loctite on them or anything like that. you guys know anything i can use like wd-40 or something to loosen those puppies up? also i gave it a test drive and it starts turning to the right .... how can i fix the alignment for the car? thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Sorry for the super late reply, finally got my internet back , as for the car i was checking the spur gear and it seemed tightened i tried unscrewing the engine to move it but the screws would not loosen, so i unscrewed the transmission and sure enough it works now but it seems the i have to change the gear mesh but the engine screws will not loosen there is no loctite on them or anything like that. you guys know anything i can use like wd-40 or something to loosen those puppies up? also i gave it a test drive and it starts turning to the right .... how can i fix the alignment for the car? thanks
with the motor mount screws, be careful. you dont want to strip those!
Make sure the screw driver you are using is a good match, one that will fit the screw head well.

WD-40 wont hurt to try. If the motor starts up, I would let it run for a good 5 minutes, shut it off and then try to loosen the screws. the heat from the motor may loosen them up.

As for the car going to the right, check your steering trim on the radio. turn the radio and car on, and adjust the trim while watching the tires...adjust the trim till the tires are straight (centered)