Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano S30 will not start (Brand New)

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano S30 will not start (Brand New)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
ryugaiden05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano S30 will not start (Brand New)

I was asked by a friend of my wife if I would take a look at the Volcano S30 they bought their son for Christmas. They tried starting it but could not get it to turn over. I have looked at it and if you put fuel in the carb like the instructions say it will turn over long enough to burn the fuel out. It does not appear to me that it is pulling fuel from the fuel tank. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to look into? Also while looking the truck over, I found that one of the front driveshafts is gone, apparently it was missing upon shipping. I had our friends check the box it came in and the driveshaft is nowhere to be found. So I now have those to order as well as a rotostart kit for it.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Volcano S30 will not start (Brand New)

ORIGINAL: ryugaiden05

I was asked by a friend of my wife if I would take a look at the Volcano S30 they bought their son for Christmas. They tried starting it but could not get it to turn over. I have looked at it and if you put fuel in the carb like the instructions say it will turn over long enough to burn the fuel out. It does not appear to me that it is pulling fuel from the fuel tank. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to look into? Also while looking the truck over, I found that one of the front driveshafts is gone, apparently it was missing upon shipping. I had our friends check the box it came in and the driveshaft is nowhere to be found. So I now have those to order as well as a rotostart kit for it.
contact redcat (warrenty form on their site) and let them know the driveshaft is missing. they will ship one out to you.
they are good about taking care of any issues if the model arrived that way.

What is the high-speed needle set at?

What is the gap on the carb when the throttle is closed? (should be only 1-2cm)

You could put soapy water on the fuel lines/tank and try to start it. if bubbles appear somewhere, then it means there is a leak. if a fuel line is bad then it wont pull fuel in.

is the fuel line from the muffler to the tank on good?

also, IMO, stick with the pull start. electric starters are nice...till the battery dies. and one of the reasons to go nitro over electric is so you can run as long as you want (as long as you have fuel to put in the tank) and not wait for a battery to be charged.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
ryugaiden05

As far as I know everything is at its stock settings. The screw for the high speed is flush with the top of the assembly. I will have to check the carb gap. Is there a default for the needles to be set at from factory? I agree with the pull start thing as well, but I tend to break pullstarts a lot and roto starts are just easier for me. That is why I usually have a couple of batteries with me. The trouble this motor is giving me is the reason I went electric.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

As far as I know everything is at its stock settings. The screw for the high speed is flush with the top of the assembly. I will have to check the carb gap. Is there a default for the needles to be set at from factory? I agree with the pull start thing as well, but I tend to break pullstarts a lot and roto starts are just easier for me. That is why I usually have a couple of batteries with me. The trouble this motor is giving me is the reason I went electric.
i hear you, i love the sound of nitro but favor electrics(brushless) myself. less mess, less frustration.

I would try richening the high speed. flush with the top sounds like a setting for once its fully broken in, not when its new. I could be wrong, but it wont hurt anything to try and richen up the high speed...just remember where it was when you started so you can go back to that setting if richer doesnt help.

since it will fire if you put gas in the carb, it does point to either a bad carb setting or to a vaccume leak.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 AM
ryugaiden05

I am going to see if I can contact Redcat today to see if they can tell me the factory defaults for their carb settings. I am thinking like you it is in those settings. I am also fgoing to take the fuel tank off and check it for any leaks around the cap. I had a Savage that would not hold a prime because of the cap not sealing correctly. This truck has not even made it through break in yet and I want to get that done for my friend so their son can enjoy it when he gets it back. I will get the owner to contact them on the warranty claim for the driveshaft, but I will probably go ahead and order a set so I can get it running fully for them. It can never hurt to have spares anyways.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

that reminds me, when you tried to prime the motor did you hold your finger over the muffler? I found the SH motors primed alot faster by doing that.

when you try to start it, do you get any fuel out the muffler? If you prime the motor alot and it wont start...yet you get some fuel out the muffler then its surely a tuning issue.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 AM
ryugaiden05

Yea, I noticed fuel moving through the feul line to the pipe some. I could never get any to go from the tank to the carb.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:56 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yea, I noticed fuel moving through the feul line to the pipe some. I could never get any to go from the tank to the carb.
can you post a pic with the body off?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 AM
ryugaiden05

Yea, I can do that tonight after I get off work. I am going to post a pic of the carb as well. Thanks for our help.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM
ryugaiden05

On a side note, what glow plugs are you using in the engine? I don't think $16 a piece for redcat plugs is a good price.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
ryugaiden05

Well reset the needles and adjusted the carb and guess what happened after that. It fired right up after a few pulls. Now I can work on some of the break in for the engine until the driveshafts and roto start come in. Thanks for your help. However, what glow plugs are you using, as I know by the time I get done with break in it is probably going to need a new one.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

os a3 is a good plug for a .18 and smaller engine.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Dads like rc too

Well reset the needles and adjusted the carb and guess what happened after that. It fired right up after a few pulls. Now I can work on some of the break in for the engine until the driveshafts and roto start come in. Thanks for your help. However, what glow plugs are you using, as I know by the time I get done with break in it is probably going to need a new one.
Don't forget that the temp swings we've been having will drive these engines crazy. I had the same problem in the past. Until I learned about how lean these engines run when it's cold, I went nuts trying to start mine. I figured it would start and then I would just adjust it to where it ran good, but this was definately not the case. I checked everything and wasted 30 minutes trying to get mine started, then turned back my HSN a 1/4 turn and it fired right away...schooled again!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
ryugaiden05

Oh yea I remember about temp changes and tuning on these. I used to run nitro until I found the ease of electrics.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: ehroof

os a3 is a good plug for a .18 and smaller engine.
hey ehroof, a3 is what I run in my .18 This is considered a medium plug right? My LHS said Redcat suggest a6 which is hot right? What about the .28? I beleive it also is supposed to run a hot plug. Whats your opinion?