Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Racing my tornado epx pro

Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Racing my tornado epx pro

My new epx pro tornado arrived today. I had almost forgot how fast this buggy is!

My buddy got one a few days ago....so we will be racing them on his track very soon.

The tornado is a nice brushless buggy...but is far from a race buggy, was clearly meant for bashing.

Its biggest issue is that its nose heavy...and even with the throttle on in the air the nose still wants to dive.

1st, I plan to add some lead weights to the underside of the wing. 2nd, im going to buy a t-bone racing bumper. the bumper will help the buggy not dig into the ground should it nose down in the air.

I have already adjusted the ESC with a program card. Again, stock its good for bashing but not racing. Even with a careful throttle finger its easy to spin out in the corners as the torque of the motor is just too much. And braking can easily lock up the tires and limit steering.
So I adjusted the punch control to #1, and set the braking force from 75% to 50%. Made a huge difference!

Next I plan to buy the billet alloy front/rear shock towers. I have had a tornado before and know that the stock towers like to bend. The billet ones are twice as thick and far more durable.

I have yet to choose tires. The stock ones have no foams, and while the tread isnt bad for a dirt track the rubber is too soft IMO.

I have looked at these...they look pretty good and are only a bit taller than the stock tires:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190617414301

Since mine and my friends came with the same body...I added some carbon fiber vinyl to mine. Looks kinda cool IMO

Old 05-14-2012, 02:14 PM
rccrazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Racing my tornado epx pro

while it's true that this is far from a race buggy (had mine for 8 years) there is no reason it can't race (won 2 first places and a handfull of seconds). i hope your rc experience is as good as mine is with it.

any tuning tip you'd like don't hesitate to ask!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: rccrazer

while it's true that this is far from a race buggy (had mine for 8 years) there is no reason it can't race (won 2 first places and a handfull of seconds). i hope your rc experience is as good as mine is with it.

any tuning tip you'd like don't hesitate to ask!
is yours electric?
did you do anything to change the balance? This is the biggest issue right now. If I do a 3-4 foot jump it wants to hit nose first more than 50% of the time.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
rccrazer

yes, it was my first one. 27t brushed "mabuchi" sealed can, 6 cell nimh, blue body wih arrow swoops a.m. (no longer sold) yeah, so much love.

gotta oil the shocks, that's a must. i like 60wt oil with no preload in the shock, and none in the pring if your using the stock ones ( team durango springs fit)

as for the weight i do use lipo packs, and move them not i don't even stablize them with foam after so many failled attempts, this taught me about air throttle control, peg that throttle wide open if it's nosing down, just be carefull not to land on it, (stripped gears, bent dogbones, damaged diffs, and broken motor shafts arn't uncommon with this behaviour. get it out).

i like a more drifty feel, but with tracks that are covered in dust that's unavoidable, so i needed control, i toed it out a bit and put -2 in the rear and -3 (both camber) in the front. rpm sells a great camber gauge, it's a racers best buddy.

these are my first things that everyone who wants to zip around a track need to at least try.

anything else i can be of assistance with you today?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, i had just added some camber.
on the front i did it by lowering the stock's top mount to the lowest position on the tower. this should also help keep the tower from bending.
on the rear i adjusted the camber link...as well as moved out the lower shock mount to the outmost position.

I still plan to add some weight to the rear. Mine is brushless so there is no lack of power and a few oz on the rear wont hurt the speed. I know I can peg the throttle in the air...but it would be nice if the buggy liked to take off more level.

Mine has the newest 2.4radio...its only change is that the antenna is now just a nub. Nice, as its less likely to break if dropped. Still...I wish redcat would move to a radio that only needs 4 "AA" batts.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
rccrazer

mine was coverted to brushless 5 years ago when they first released it in brushless, they discontinued the brushed version years ago. it was replaced with the groundpounder and the epx drift.

move the rear links in and the rear roll rate will allow the rears to roll tward the center contact patch and more control under "power on" handling.

the wing should be moved to the top point, while this is going to be slightly slower it will allow for better hard acceleration and corner exit and entry. in the air it does also help a bit.

the weight isn't one of my favorite ways of doing it. but it works and it's reliable.

i see you have the XTG, that's my favorite stadium truck for th money, i've won 2 races with that. you enjoying it?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

mine was coverted to brushless 5 years ago when they first released it in brushless, they discontinued the brushed version years ago. it was replaced with the groundpounder and the epx drift.

move the rear links in and the rear roll rate will allow the rears to roll tward the center contact patch and more control under ''power on'' handling.

the wing should be moved to the top point, while this is going to be slightly slower it will allow for better hard acceleration and corner exit and entry. in the air it does also help a bit.

the weight isn't one of my favorite ways of doing it. but it works and it's reliable.

i see you have the XTG, that's my favorite stadium truck for th money, i've won 2 races with that. you enjoying it?

sold that a bit ago. Honestly, my garage changes to often for me to keep my sig updated!

right now I have the tornado, a rc10 B3, ECX torment, tamiya hornet, tamiya holiday buggy, tamiya tt-01, redcat lightning drift, rustler.....and I have a HPI mini trophy truck that should be delivered by the end of the week!

Have you found any good mods for the front end of the twister? I found it a bit weak there. broke the upper plate once and the part where the a-arm pin goes threw the bulkhead once. Gobs of power tho....I still have the brushless system from it. I sell the trans upgrade kits pretty often on my ebay store.

I have a box full of epx pro parts...some buggy and some lightning. so I have many spare parts so I can race my tornado pretty hard and not have to worry about stuff breaking
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
rccrazer

the best thing is the upgraded plate, and tires for either of the twisters. jb weld does add some strength to the braces and other parts, the hpi blitz or firestorm belcranks (strc or hpi
) aluminum ones are great choies for hop ups for track use and durablility of the whole front end goes up.

i've never had too much of a breakage problem with the tronado, 8 years with it, and all kinds of obnoxious, unmentionable torture to it. and i've never even broken a suspention arm.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never had too much of a breakage problem with the tronado, 8 years with it, and all kinds of obnoxious, unmentionable torture to it. and i've never even broken a suspention arm.
I just sold my Tornado S30 and to my surprise I never broke a thing on it except the spur gear. I even purchased front and rear control arms, front steering knuckles plus a hand full of other parts to have on hand and never used them. I included them in the deal when I sold it.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I did some bashing with my tornado today.

Managed to bend the front stock tower alittle.

So I went ahead and ordered some parts.

I bought the carbon fiber front shock tower...and the billet alloy rear shock tower. I have had the billet alloy upgrades on my previous tornado and they are very tough. I figured id give the CF one a try on the front...maybe take alittle weight out of the front/while adding some to the rear!

I also bought a spare wing mount, center driveshaft, pair of dogbones and spur gear. If you are gonna buy parts, might as well buy several and pay flat $5 usps shipping rate.

Oh, I also bought a few heat sinks. I will run 3s lipo from time to time on the street or in parking lots so Ill want the motor to be cooled better.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
rccrazer

nice choice, enjoying the wheelies yet?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
rccrazer

oh sad day.
well i hpe it gave you lots and lots of fun dads
Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 PM
ThePenguins

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Still...I wish redcat would move to a radio that only needs 4 "AA" batts.

Pick yourself up one of these www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2500mah-3s1p-111-3c-tx.html . Ihave been using one in my Flysky 3ch for awhile now without any problems.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

nice choice, enjoying the wheelies yet?
i dont think it will...even on 3s...not enough traction.

I need to redo the shocks...the bounce all over the place at speed on rough pavement.

I have never really messed with tuning shocks before....other than the preload. you mentioned 60w oil. is this to make them softer?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:25 PM
rccrazer

no it smooths it out alot. it's not the soft nes that takes out the bounce it's the springs, if springs are out of the question negative preload is good as well as a thicker oil. the stock shocks arn't completely filled and are not a consistant weight.

if you would like to see my video go ahead and watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urLsc...7&feature=plcp

while i'm using the touring car shocks these shocks are nearly identical (other than size and the matrial and relpacable o-ring seals) to the tornados (and the volcano's and the vortex, and the drift, and caldera's, and traxxas "ultra style" goes on and on) so this should help explain alot.

if i left anything out. please ask, i am more than willing to help.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Luis Miguel

Good morning for everbody ,

I bought Buggy Tornado epx pro is my first car I would like to know how many hours need to be full the battery when this charging ..

Old 05-20-2012, 11:14 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Luis Miguel

Good morning for everbody ,

I bought Buggy Tornado epx pro is my first car I would like to know how many hours need to be full the battery when this charging ..

the stock charger is SLOW. figure 6-8 hours for the 1st time...maybe only 4-6 hours for later charges.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Luis Miguel

Thank you for help...

Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 AM
kozack

Hello,
got my Epx Pro a week ago and love it.
My question is what precations should I use if/when using 3C Lipo?
I want to push this baby to its limits.

Regards
Old 06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
rccrazer

3s lipo? 3c i've never seen and would explode on a brushed setup.

for those precations are really gear it down to a 16 to 18 tooth pinion.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: kozack

Hello,
got my Epx Pro a week ago and love it.
My question is what precations should I use if/when using 3C Lipo?
I want to push this baby to its limits.

Regards
the main thing you must to do run 3s lipo is:

pull the wire from the ESC to the cooling fan...and put a connector on said wire so that you can plug it into the reciever's batt port.
If you run a 3s lipo with the fan plugged into the ESC as it is, the fan will get to much voltage and burn out. And if the fan gives out, the ESC may get to hot.
But if you power the fan off the reciever, it will be fine.

Thats all you HAVE to do to run 3s.

However I do reccomend getting a heat sink/fan for the motor. More voltage always means higher temps.

The ESC and Motor are both rated for 3s...and I have run 3s on them before. Just change the fan's power source and add a heat sink to the motor and you are good to go!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 PM
kozack

Thank you!
Now waiting for the engine heatsink.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:07 AM
kozack

Works well on 3s. Heat sink w/ fan keeps engine cool. Today scored 45mph!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
jnuckols

Has anyone designed or found a different way to hold the battery in a Tornado EPX? I bought a Turnigy hard case lipo, and I had to widen the car's 4 battery supports, and the 2 posts are barely tall enough. Now I'm looking at getting another battery, but the new battery is a little wider and taller. It's longer too, but there seems to be plenty of room for longer.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jnuckols

Has anyone designed or found a different way to hold the battery in a Tornado EPX? I bought a Turnigy hard case lipo, and I had to widen the car's 4 battery supports, and the 2 posts are barely tall enough. Now I'm looking at getting another battery, but the new battery is a little wider and taller. It's longer too, but there seems to be plenty of room for longer.

I used the lightning's body posts as battery posts. they are really tall, so you can cut them to the hight needed for your lipo pack. I also removed the 2 bumps on the bottom, and added a lexan shield to the side of the chassis.

velcro strip on the chassis and battery doesnt hurt either. will keep the battery from getting thrown out of the vehicle (ive had it happen!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.