Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How Long Nitro Engines last ?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM
BCarter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long Nitro Engines last ?

I have a Vortex SS which I've had for about a month. I've run at least 2 gallons of fuel through (20%), and now I'm wondering if the motor is worn out. I can start it fine, but as soon as I get it warmed up it bogs and eventually stops. I've tried to richen it, does the same thing. I talked to Tech support, the person said they can last between 2 to 6 gallons, I'm just wondering what others experience is. I'm also wondering if there are better engines that might cost more but will last a lot longer.

Thanks In advance.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How Long Nitro Engines last ?

It just depends how you took care of it. Crashes, spills and high speeds; lower life. Not many crashes, spills and high speeds; longer. And if it was covered in dirt or was not cleaned, it would shorten it.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BCarter

I have a Vortex SS which I've had for about a month. I've run at least 2 gallons of fuel through (20%), and now I'm wondering if the motor is worn out. I can start it fine, but as soon as I get it warmed up it bogs and eventually stops. I've tried to richen it, does the same thing. I talked to Tech support, the person said they can last between 2 to 6 gallons, I'm just wondering what others experience is. I'm also wondering if there are better engines that might cost more but will last a lot longer.

Thanks In advance.
It does sound like what your describing as a worn out engine. SH engines last as good as any, just depends on how you tune them. If you only made it through two gallons, you may have been running a little too lean.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 AM
ehroof

If you have richened the engine and it still stalls and wont start when getting warm then its shot, engine life goes by how it has been run, if its been run hot and lean it wont last very long at all, if you run it a little rich and keep the temps to around 220 to 250 it can last a very long time, i have car engines that are over 20 years old with many gallons thru them and they still run fine. The sh is a good engine, well built and will last a long time if its properly taken care of, a clean and well oiled air filter will also keep you engine running a long time.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM
kelynsdad1023

I dont think the Vortex comes with the SH.......but most likely you blew your engine...... you can either replace the piston and sleeve or just get a whole new engine.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:46 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you could just have a worn out seal. a exhaust seal thats worn out, or the fuel lines.

"how long" a motor lasts depends mostly on how well it was tuned....and how well it was clean and maintained.

I know that many people do rebuild their motors around the 2 gallon mark.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: kelynsdad1023

I dont think the Vortex comes with the SH.......but most likely you blew your engine...... you can either replace the piston and sleeve or just get a whole new engine.

Specs on the vortex engine from redcats webstie:

Specifications:
Motor Type Nitro 3.0cc .18 SH
Transmission 2-Speed
Drive System 4 Wheel Drive
Wheelbase 275mm
Ground Clearance 26mm
Fuel Tank Capacity 75cc
Chassis Type 2.5mm 6061 Aluminum
Brake Type Composite Disc
Shocks Aluminum Body Oil Filled
Radio System 2.4GHz Radio System
Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 PM
86MOmo

As already stated, It depends.

To anyone that purchases a RC thru my store, I advise minimum 6-10 tanks break in. I have a friend who builds race motors, mostly .21s and his advice is at least that and then some.

The key to any nitro motor is HEATand how much. Allowing proper cooling and not leaning it out to ridiculous is important. They are simple motors, Run them, let them heat up, then allow them to cool. IFyou continue to run them HOT and or don't take the time to break them in, you'll get bit.

2 Gal. seems unlikely, however if you rushed the breakin, it could be a sign of a wearing motor.

A simple test is to turn the motor by hand w/ a glow plug installed. once you do it and you feel pressure, making sure its on the bottom of the crank after the rotation. THEN remove the glow plug and spin it again, you should feel the same or close to the same compression. IFYOUDON'T, your motor has had it.

MOmo
Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM
gearhead777

K, 2 gallons? don't sound right. Unless you ran super lean for most of that time. You may have lost the pinch. Easy fix, then fatten up your mixture. I have a Back draft 3.5 with 4 gallons through it. Has as much power now as it did when new.[8D]