Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How long should my Battery last?

Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 AM
redington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should my Battery last?

New to RC & recently bought Tornado EPX. It came with 2000 mAH battery and it lasts about 3 minutes, so I upgraded to 5000 and now runs for 7 minutes. My buddy has traxxis with 8.4 V 3200 Mah and runs forever. Do I need to do some kind of adjustment?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your batteries must not be getting fully charged. The smaller one should last 12-15 minutes depending on how you're running. The bigger one probably 20-23 minutes
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redington
New to RC & recently bought Tornado EPX. It came with 2000 mAH battery and it lasts about 3 minutes, so I upgraded to 5000 and now runs for 7 minutes. My buddy has traxxis with 8.4 V 3200 Mah and runs forever. Do I need to do some kind of adjustment?
the stock battery "should" last 8-10 minutes. I say should, because the quality of the stock packs are hit-and-miss.
But the 5000mah pack should get you 20 minutes easy.
when you push the buggy on the ground, does it roll easy? Im wondering if there is a binding issue.
Also, you have the brushed version, correct? You really shouldn't run a 5000mah pack on that. You should see a sticker right on the chassis saying a 32 or 3500mah pack is the max. That esc is cheap and can overheat if run for to long. It is possible that it is shutting off due to overheating and not due to the battery level dropping.

After running it, charge your battery and see how much MAH gets put into it. If you are using the stock charger, that could also be your issue. They are not that great of a charger, even for the stock nimh. And they wont fully charger a 5000mah pack.
If you are using the stock charger, it is time to buy a good one. A thunder AC6 or Onxy 230 or 235 are good options that wont break the bank. I like the Thunder as it can charge nimh and lipos and costs $50. It also comes with the same 4.0mm plugs used on the stock battery.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:36 PM
redington

I am using Tenergy .9/1.8A charger. I think you are correct and the esc is over heating, because the car losses power for 10-15 seconds and then suddenly there is a burst of power for 20-30 seconds. This cycles continues for a few minutes and then completely shuts down.

The tornedo epx pro is has a brushless 3300kv motor. I am getting 13 min. on the 7.2 Volt 5000 mag battery and 8 min. on the 2000mah.

Should I buy better charger, better ESC or both?

Thanks for input

Last edited by redington; 10-20-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am using Tenergy .9/1.8A charger. I think you are correct and the esc is over heating, because the car losses power for 10-15 seconds and then suddenly there is a burst of power for 20-30 seconds. This cycles continues for a few minutes and then completely shuts down.

The tornedo epx pro is has a brushless 3300kv motor. I am getting 13 min. on the 7.2 Volt 5000 mag battery and 8 min. on the 2000mah.

Should I buy better charger, better ESC or both?

Thanks for input
ah, that actually sounds like low voltage cutoff....not overheat. Overheat it will shut down and you will only have steering function. the motor will not work until you shut the ESC off and let it cool down.
What you are describing is the ESC detecting low voltage and cutting power by 50%. With a Lipo battery, the ESC would detect voltage drop to 6.2 or 6.4v and cut power to 50% for a bit and then cut power totally. This is to let you know the battery needs to be charged, as you cannot completely discharge a lipo.
A NIMH on the other hand can be completely drained. What is happening is the voltage of your packs is dipping below 6.2v...so the ESC cuts power to 50%. But with the demand on the battery lowered the voltage raises enough for the esc to give you 100% power again.
You can google ezrun manual and find out how to disarm the low voltage detection (cutoff) It can be done with just the radio. But you can also buy a program box (about 15$ on ebay) that makes it FAR simpler to adjust the settings of the ESC.

8min on the stock pack is about right. 8-10 is expected. If it is cutting power after just 5 minutes but keeps going back and forth between full power and half power then the LVC is kicking on and off.
With your 5000mah pack, it may not be getting fully charged with that charger. A good charger can have adjustable amperage. charging at 2 amps will charge the stock pack in 50-60 minutes....and charging at 5 amps will charge the 5000mah pack in the same time.

1st Id buy the ezrun program card. then id buy a better charger.

Page 3 of this manual shows how to set the functions of the ESC without the program card:
http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-13-v2.pdf
Old 01-25-2018, 09:51 PM
NsGS2K

Default Depends

You have a buggy and those could either run Nimh batteries or LiPo batteries. I have a 3500mAh lipo battery for my slash thats a 7.4 volt and so far its lasted longer than 20 minutes to 30 minutes. && is the battery new or old?