Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

more power for my sons volcano epx please!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

more power for my sons volcano epx please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM
RCplyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more power for my sons volcano epx please!

I just got the this truck for my son and it came with the 550 brushed motor instead of the 540 one but i want it to be as quick as possible for him but dont want to replace anything gears exc.. what brushed motor can i get that would allow me to do this?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with brushed motors, you cannot change the motor out without changing gearing.
brushed motors are rated by # of turns. More turns equals more torque and less RPMs
Less turns means higher RPMs, and thus you have to reduce gearing some if you install a motor with a much lower turn rating.

The stock motor is 27t. You might get away with a 19 or 20 turn motor without having to change the gearing. Any lower, and your new motor will get to hot and burn up.
But the stock speed control cant handle a motor below 23 turns.
So a decent motor upgrade would require upgrading the speed control as well.

Id buy a used traxxas XL5 esc off ebay....often around $35. You can find dynamite 15t or losi 12t speed controls for a bit less. All these can handle down to a 15 turn motor. They can also handle more voltage.
Then Id get a 19 or 20t motor. Combine that with a higher MAH battery (or even a 2s lipo) and you will get longer runtimes as well as better power.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 PM
RCplyn

thank you for the info i will be getting the pro model myself and will be doing some upgrades once i get used to it because i find myself wanting to play with my sons truck as much as him so far ive ordered the aluminum c hub and steering knuckles also some extra dogbones and x2 t-bones bumpers one for his and one for mine that is when i get mine next month this seems like a fun hobby to get into with my son i know he will want the rest of the aluminum goodies to go with it and thats ok with me because not only does it give it bling but strengthens the truck and we can work on it together!
I will be looking forward to learning all that i can in this hobby and having fun in the process (well my wife now sees me getting into another expensive hobby oops
Any other add ons,replacements or mods please by all means tell away!

Last edited by RCplyn; 01-19-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
RCplyn

Anyone else have any mods they want to share?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:43 PM
AmazingRCstore

Hi RCPlyn,

Over here the more common upgrades for the Volcano EPX are this brushless kit combo, or a fast charger and 3800NiMh battery combo when looking to upgrade.
You can take a look at those here:

*Brusheless system
*3800 Battery Combo

Hope the info is useful
Old 01-25-2014, 04:52 PM
RCplyn

Originally Posted by AmazingRCstore
Hi RCPlyn,

Over here the more common upgrades for the Volcano EPX are this brushless kit combo, or a fast charger and 3800NiMh battery combo when looking to upgrade.
You can take a look at those here:

*Brusheless system
*3800 Battery Combo

Hope the info is useful
thank you very much i dont have the 3800 but i did get the 3300 and a fast charger
ive saved your site link so i will be ordering the brushless kit after he gets used to the speed on the epx
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 AM
AmazingRCstore

No problem, we are here to help