Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

BEYOND DISAPPOINTED with my Redcat Blackout XTE

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

BEYOND DISAPPOINTED with my Redcat Blackout XTE

Old 12-19-2016, 05:29 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well , h'mmm.......... You are a brand new member and your only posts are about redcat and in a redcat forum "disappointed" thread trying to praise them, and now getting a bit snippy with other posters,
May be innocent but I/we have seen this before.

Enjoy your trucks,
Old 01-04-2017, 07:06 PM
mazpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, its definitely a red flag.

Anyway, the forums is crowded with noobs that are clueless about the hobby, and instead of dealing with the problems caused only by themselves, now they want their money back.

Admins tell me to chill out, but all the noobs are doing is throwing the company under the boss when its obvious its user error.
I have had my share of complaints against certain companies, but they have been legit, none of this blaming, and if so... Is such title really necessary? Do you have to be so immature? Admins should know better that people like them should be banned. First of all, they are not been respectful in any manner and not addressing the situation like grown adults. Whats going to be next, Thanks to you Redcat you mess ruined my Birthday present thread?

Am done, beyond pathetic.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:36 AM
P1sdof7

I have been in the hobby now for a lot of years. Well a couple of decades, and if there is one thing I can't stand is so called "experts" who talk everyone down and make them feel like complete low scum. Mazpr and Bryan Ray, yall have yalls opinions. Fine. But dont go throwing down someones possible dreams and ideas. Yeah so there are plenty of "better brands" but oh well. I personally run Axials, Traxxas and HPIs but someone who is starting out and doesn't have money to buy a fancy truck, car or plane doesn't need to be slandered like they are the biggest loser because you think you know better. Truth be told a lot of brands are doing better now even if ita the difference of one year . But hey what do I know right. It has only been people like yall to have have to do everything myself and figure it out my self and so on. Yall get so stuck up that yall take the entire fun out of the hobby. We want more people in the hobby. We shouldn't be pissing people of and scaring them away. But hey yall are the "experts", the exact people I stay away from.

To all you guys getting into the hobby. Come and join. Get a product you want, you will learn through your own experiences what you want and like and why. Leave the crap comments and reviews for "experts" to discourage you. Had I listened to them 25 years ago I wouldn't be in the hobby.

- P1sdof7
Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 AM
mazpr

I definitely agree, open an account and join.
But THE FORUMS ARE NOT TO HARASS A RC COMPANY

For that you have the BBB, RipOffReport, Paypal, Ebay, credit card claim dispute process.

READ THE WARRANTY POLICY, AND FOLLOW THE CLAIM WARRANTY GUIDELINES.
If things dont workout, then escalate as need be.

But my friend, this stupid nonsense again and again of every new rc person, when shoots themselves in the foot, joins a forum to put the company in the spot MUST STOP.

I currently have a claim with Redcat, it is no different. Just follow the guidelines. If you pay the bills, I think you should have a sense of what needs to be done and when.

Following up on mine, if the claim falls short when I have provided sufficient evidence, then I have other routes to take, but I am not going to start a thread only for Redcat to beware, the whole world will know all the evil in you, please! For real?

Are you aware of the impact of such thread?

Redcat has provided thousands of hours of fun to those who cannot and will not pay the extra cash on more expensive models (like myself), and to hit them like this is beyond cheap.

Just to show you how much force this specific thread has that when I googled Redcat Blackout this thread was one of the results. If this makes you happy, honestly, you do not deserve to be in this hobby and I have no sympathy for your situation at all.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:43 AM
P1sdof7

I understand what you are saying but the thread had more or less resolved itslef a while back with the opening writer already getting a response back and an agreement being settled but then some "experts" jump in slandering the company more so than the so called noobs as you put it. I personally think thats prejudicial of anyone to call someone else. You were new once, so was I. The one who really was demeaning the company here was not the initial plaintiff but the "experts" who work at hobby shops. So thats where I have a problem. I have dealt with them time after time and so on. They lose my business everytime when they get that attitude. Years ago I had an older heli I was upgrading and took it to my local hobby shop trying to change out some electronics. They told me that they dont sell that brand and that they couldn't and wouldn't help me. Thats the kind of attitude that makes this hobby get a piss poor view from an "outsider" who might consider the hobby. So while you are slandering the "noobs" they already said the problem was taken care of. Meanwhile you fail to mention the jerk "experts" that are running their mouths more. Sorry if it hurts but it is the truth and I have taken it upon me with many others as well to stand up against that kind of attitude and behavior. Enjoy your hobby because it wasn't experts who made it enjoyable.

- P1sdof7
Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Guys, let's not go too far into this, please. I am okay with arguments as long as they are structured to be helpful and have no angry connotation to them, but I'll be watching this thread closely.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by P1sdof7
I understand what you are saying but the thread had more or less resolved itslef a while back with the opening writer already getting a response back and an agreement being settled but then some "experts" jump in slandering the company more so than the so called noobs as you put it. I personally think thats prejudicial of anyone to call someone else. You were new once, so was I. The one who really was demeaning the company here was not the initial plaintiff but the "experts" who work at hobby shops. So thats where I have a problem. I have dealt with them time after time and so on. They lose my business everytime when they get that attitude. Years ago I had an older heli I was upgrading and took it to my local hobby shop trying to change out some electronics. They told me that they dont sell that brand and that they couldn't and wouldn't help me. Thats the kind of attitude that makes this hobby get a piss poor view from an "outsider" who might consider the hobby. So while you are slandering the "noobs" they already said the problem was taken care of. Meanwhile you fail to mention the jerk "experts" that are running their mouths more. Sorry if it hurts but it is the truth and I have taken it upon me with many others as well to stand up against that kind of attitude and behavior. Enjoy your hobby because it wasn't experts who made it enjoyable.

- P1sdof7
Thank You well, put
Old 02-01-2017, 05:08 PM
mazpr

The title is incorrect, the same as the last sentence of the previous posting, incorrect placement of the comma.

Shall be beyond bla bla bla with the hobby shop or etc...

And by the way, no it is not well put. He is way off in his explanation. Just google Redcat Blackout, and one of the results is the title of this thread.

Perception is key, anyone testing waters for a Redcat will think twice about purchasing one. The title is addressing Redcat, putting them in the spot. Shows as if that particular model is garbage. The title of the thread is not towards the hobby shop who sold it, but to the specific model in question.

I am beyond disappointed with my account RCUniverse...
Beyond disappointed with my Ford Taurus...

And for you buddy, you really cant let it go.

Last edited by mazpr; 02-01-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:46 PM
4NJBOYS

Letting goooooooooo
Old 02-18-2017, 07:57 AM
mazpr

So far I am enjoying my Blackout Pro SC.

Installed front chassis brace, lower skid plate, few mods to the chassis for water to drain out. Swapped a few bolts for longer length and secure fit. Installed plastic mud guards on shell, to protect the chassis from debris, and gorilla tape to the body, more durable.
Have done massive jumps, covered it in mud, and still running strong.
Had a small glitch with the ESC, contacted RedCat, they sent me a brand new brushless speed controller, free shipping. Had the part at my door in less than 5 days. The original ESC still works, it just every now and then lags a little, Redcat was not sure, and just sent me a new one.

This truck really shines with 1/8th buggy tires, need to get the 17mm adapters and shorter wheel spacers from 1/10th on road (and open the center hole to make it fit in the wheel axle.

I would say the weakest link is the cvds/dog bones, and are they over priced. Red Cat Tornado dog bones costs 6 dollar a pair, while Blackout are about 15 to 20 dollars, almost the same price as 1/5th Baja 5B dog bones.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:07 PM
kywx

They say you get what you pay for, but my son has had much more fun and has gotten much more use out of the $60 big box store R/C vehicles than he has this Redcat Blackout XTE. What a piece of garbage this thing is.

First the truck stopped steering.

Then the next day it stopped going forward or backward.

So I got a new servo and receiver under warranty.

Then the steering arm (we call it a pitman arm in the real 4x4 world) still wouldn't work because the splines are all plastic, so of course it was stripped out.

So I spent more money and got yet another servo with metal gears, and an aluminum steering arm and ditched the "servo saver", which worked beautifully and eliminated all the steering issues.

Two weeks later the truck stopped turning on. Switch won't elicit any reaction whatsoever. I tested both of the batteries we have, both are putting out between 7 and 8 volts. So what the **** has happened now? ESC dead?

At this rate, this truck will be completely brand new again in another couple of weeks.

I could have spent this $180 on multiple big box store R/C vehicles and he'd have loved them for a few years. I thought by going with a hobby grade truck I was getting him an upgrade. Instead, I can count on my fingers how many times he's actually gotten to drive the truck since Christmas. Ridiculous.

I guess I'll clean the truck up and throw it on craigslist.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:16 PM
4NJBOYS

With all the technical talk and descriptions you included in your post you should have known better or had an Axe to grind With Red Cat. While my 2 grandsons with their BlackOut SC have been punishing them since Christmas with minor issues expected from the pounding they get.
Sorry no sympathy here, many problems arise from neglect of maintenance needed after every run. Even the 10-year-old knows that.
Chassis after a clean run bumper repaired Bad battery replaced under warranty. Wow and just 2 months and constant runs. Did you get a Lemon ??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1371.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	2205477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	2205478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2205479  
Old 03-16-2017, 06:01 AM
mazpr

kywx;

Not everyone is meant to be a RC enthusiast.

Certainly we are not going to miss you.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by mazpr
kywx;

Not everyone is meant to be a RC enthusiast.

Certainly we are not going to miss you.

There you go again Be Gentle. Fact when someone has a Bad experience they blab it about when the experiences are Good they keep quite. KYWX is a prime example, I knew what I was getting into when my Grandsons wanted RC Trucks. My opinion is keeping them running is part of the hobby. That is why there are some much-offred aftermarket items. They Break them Grandpa Fixes them $$$$$$$$$$$ Willingly.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:34 PM
mikeskiw

Hi guys, another newbie here...

New to RC cars, I used to have RC boats 20 years ago but my twin boys are finally old enough to start enjoying some real RC cars. I have had a dozen or so toy grade RCs so I recently bought a Redcat Racing XTE for one of my 8 year old twin boys. I have been thoroughly impressed by the quality, drive-ability, and serviceability of this car. It's the real deal for not too much more than I have been paying for toy store junk. I was a little nervous giving so much car to an 8 year old fearing he would wreck it right away but it has survived some unbelievable hits, some of them while dad was driving... After a couple times out, I bought a second XTE for the other twin so now we have two cars. I will soon be buying a third XTE pro for dad!

For me part of this experience is also teaching my boys how things work. The operable suspension, adjustable toe/camber, replaceable gearing give the opportunity for learning as well as playing. So far we have lost a couple of the shock collars. This allowed me to show the boys how the shocks work, pull them off, and replace the collars. To prevent this from happening again I drilled some tiny holes in the collars and pinned them in place with safety wires.

Yesterday I noticed the cars gear cases were making more noise than before. We had been running them in some sand and a few granules managed to get lodged into the spur gears. This gave me the opportunity to pull the gearcases apart, clean and re-mesh the gears. I noticed one of the cars probably had too much gear lash initially and was a bit more worn than the other car's gears. I took this opportunity to show the boys how a differential operates on a small scale. I also related the operation to the full size Jeep Wrangler in my garage.

I suppose I could complain about needing to do maintenance on this true hobby grade vehicle but I see this as part of the benefit, allows me to share and teach my boys something more than they would learn staring at a screen.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM
4NJBOYS

Mike that is my story to a T Teaching Learning Disappointment Responsibility all wrapped is an RC Truck Only difference between you and I is My 2 grandsons Have The Redcat Blackout SC welcome looking forward to more of your adventures Bill -Conor-Aidan- Brian
Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM
mazpr

I know right

Welcome to the forums!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:58 AM
DriveForFun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kywx
They say you get what you pay for, but my son has had much more fun and has gotten much more use out of the $60 big box store R/C vehicles than he has this Redcat Blackout XTE. What a piece of garbage this thing is.

First the truck stopped steering.

Then the next day it stopped going forward or backward.

So I got a new servo and receiver under warranty.

Then the steering arm (we call it a pitman arm in the real 4x4 world) still wouldn't work because the splines are all plastic, so of course it was stripped out.

So I spent more money and got yet another servo with metal gears, and an aluminum steering arm and ditched the "servo saver", which worked beautifully and eliminated all the steering issues.

Two weeks later the truck stopped turning on. Switch won't elicit any reaction whatsoever. I tested both of the batteries we have, both are putting out between 7 and 8 volts. So what the **** has happened now? ESC dead?

At this rate, this truck will be completely brand new again in another couple of weeks.

I could have spent this $180 on multiple big box store R/C vehicles and he'd have loved them for a few years. I thought by going with a hobby grade truck I was getting him an upgrade. Instead, I can count on my fingers how many times he's actually gotten to drive the truck since Christmas. Ridiculous.

I guess I'll clean the truck up and throw it on craigslist.
As someone with a son who drives RC along with me, i spend tons of time wrenching on our RC's -especially the one's he drives - in fact i'm lucky if we don't break something every time out. I have vehicles from tons of brands, ofna, traxxas, redcat, tamiya - it's part of the hobby, especially when the driver is not overly concerned about accidents - adult or child - even myself sometimes i do dumb stuff, but i accept the consequences.

My point is ANY brand you own will break parts, especially, but not limited to, with a child driving. The redcats i've owned have had decent track records, especially the blackout which survives insane beatings. I like traxxas, but their ESC's stink and basically require replacement out of box, but the drivetrains are very good - it's not all peaches and cream at other brands.

bottom line, if fixing broken parts or routine maintenance bothers you, you either have to drive it like an old lady or just do the shelf queen thing (which many guys do)