Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

need help. driving backwards now after new gears

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

need help. driving backwards now after new gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 12:15 AM
mboady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help. driving backwards now after new gears

Hi everyone. So I'm new to the hobby. I purchased a volcano epx pro a few months ago and just upgraded almost every part to the blue aluminum. I finished the truck but when installing the gearing in the new differentials, the big gear is now on the opposite side inside the differential. Everything works and all but when I move(normally forward) it goes backwards and vise verse. I tried just flipping the switch on the remove to the reverse and the truck only goes forward now with no reverse. But when I have the switch set to the normal setting, forward and reverse both work, just opposite. Just wanna know if there's maybe a wire I can just switch going to the motor or something? I'm gonna try to upload pictures if I can figure out how. Thanks for any help
Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 AM
mboady

Sorry, can't figure out how to upload pictures. Let me see if I can better explain what I mean. And I tried switching the front differential with the rear and the same problem still exists. So stock front differential looking from the front of the truck, when you open the differential housing, the teeth of the large gear face the left of the car. With my new differential housing, the teeth of the large gear now face the right of the truck.. so that's why it's moving opposite as it used to. Any input would be great, even a description to add picture. I don't see an attachment button anywhere.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:20 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The teeth of the crown gear(large gear) should always face the inside on a diff assembly. Otherwise the drive gear(on end of driveshaft) teeth will never engage the crown gear teeth and the diff assembly won't turn. They should look like the exploded view in the manual first page right side:
http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/94111-VolcanoEPXManual.pdf
If they are together correctly and the truck runs backwards when the trigger is squeezed and forward when the trigger is pushed then locate the three wires connecting the brushless motor to the ESC and reverse two of the wires. Now when you squeeze the throttle the truck should move forward
Old 04-01-2016, 06:52 AM
lilrick98

Just flip the steering switch on your remote.....
Old 04-01-2016, 11:53 AM
mboady

Which two wires do I reverse? The teeth do engage the crown gear. Instead of the large gear on the right side inside the hub facing in, the large gear is now on the left side of the hub, facing inward so ever thing is still engaging just spinning opposite directions now
Old 04-01-2016, 11:55 AM
mboady

I did that and then when I pull the throttle inward, it did nothing. When I pushed outward, the truck moved backwards.... so, flipping the switch didn't allow the truck to move forward. It shouldn't though. Maybe just need to play with it a little more
Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mboady
Which two wires do I reverse? The teeth do engage the crown gear. Instead of the large gear on the right side inside the hub facing in, the large gear is now on the left side of the hub, facing inward so ever thing is still engaging just spinning opposite directions now
How can that be ? The case is molded so the crown gear can only fit on one side and I can't see how the assembled diff could be mounted upside down .
Anyway, there are three wires connecting the esc to the motor. Pick two.....any two and swap the connections. This will reverse the motor and should solve your issue.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:37 PM
mboady

Thank you for the help... most of the parts I bought were actual redcat parts, but the differential case had no label, probably just aftermarket made in china. It was wierd when I was changing the gears inside, I had to flip the big gear, I was like, huh, interesting. I wish I could upload pictures and show you. Thanks for the input though. Gonna flip the wires now.