Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat Blackout XTE 1/10 RC550 Brushed Motor Power Issue

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Blackout XTE 1/10 RC550 Brushed Motor Power Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Adrenolin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Redcat Blackout XTE 1/10 RC550 Brushed Motor Power Issue

Hello,

Looking for assistance in troubleshooting for my 6yo and his XTE R/C truck.

Two Issue:
1. Steering is weak and not fully turning wheels.
2. Zero response from motor.

Yes, 8 fresh AA batteries in the controller.
Yes, fully charged 7.2V NiMH batteries including the stock 3000 and 2 Hexfly 3800mah batteries.

Worked great 2 months ago when we last used the truck. After using it for the duration of all 3 batteries as usual we brought it home, removed the body and cleaned out all the little stones, grass and dirt it accumulates from a 5yo controlling it. He has been using these since age 3. It was a dry day and no water puddles.. just dirt, pea stone and grass and the orange cones we place around for a small course.

Testing:
Install fresh battery into chassis, plug in and turn truck power switch to ON. The receiver's Red Signal LED starts to blink at a constant rate. Next to that the ESC LED blinks twice and stops. Fresh AA batteries in the remote controller and turned ON the receivers Red Signal LED stops blinking and stays on constant. When turning the control steering wheel the ESC LED doesn't blink but the wheels weakly start to turn.. Maybe 1/5th of what they should. Using a voltmeter on the yellow and blue power leads going to rear motor I get 8.28V-8.3V both in forward and reverse with all three batteries. Zero power response from the rear motor either in movement or sound. Wires and connections have all been checked and appear to be fine.

He has been busy with other activities lately but I purchase new upgraded aluminum shocks which he installed this afternoon. We went to power it up and the above was the result. He was quite bummed out. This passed quickly enough as he jumped on his Yamaha TTR50 for the next hour.. but he came back in asking if his truck was fixed yet.

This is the first problem we've had with an otherwise fantastic and durable R/C truck. He has dropped it, drowned it, run it into things and ripped up more dirt, gravel and grass with this truck then I could believe it possible. He controls it now just at age 6 as well as most adults would. Damaging it while in use is one thing but for it to have worked fine last time and not today has me stumped.

I am not an R/C or electronics guy myself so have limited experience with these. Does this sound like an ESC issue or a motor issue or (sigh) both? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Rob
Old 08-16-2016, 06:36 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A couple of things you can try .
Check the steering dual rate knob on the controller ( should say something like Steering D R ) . Try turning it up a little .
Does the motor turn by hand , you may have to remove the gear cover to check .
With the motor removed , you can quickly check it by supplying power directly to the wires .
Old 08-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Adrenolin

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get a chance next.

Is there a full manual or decent exploded view available for these trucks for their dis/assembly?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:26 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/...TXTEMANUAL.pdf
They are not as detailed as some manuals .
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Adrenolin

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
http://www.redcatracing.com/manuals/...TXTEMANUAL.pdf
They are not as detailed as some manuals .
No.. that's perfect good for what I want. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:25 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
...Looking for assistance in troubleshooting for my 6yo and his XTE R/C truck.

Two Issue:
1. Steering is weak and not fully turning wheels.
2. Zero response from motor.

Yes, 8 fresh AA batteries in the controller.
Yes, fully charged 7.2V NiMH batteries including the stock 3000 and 2 Hexfly 3800mah batteries.

Worked great 2 months ago when we last used the truck. After using it for the duration of all 3 batteries as usual we brought it home, removed the body and cleaned out all the little stones, grass and dirt it accumulates from a 5yo controlling it. He has been using these since age 3....
How old is the motor? Brushes do wear out, but sometimes get hung up on the brush housing. Clean the inside of the motor as best you can, then recheck. I always had motor cleaner and comm drops in my pitbox when using brushed motors.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Adrenolin

Not old really with maybe 15 hours total. This was a gift for him this past Christmas. Thanks for the info and I'll check the motor. Since my initial testing I've not had time to get back to it unfortunately.