Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Brand New Earthquake-Brand New Headace

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Brand New Earthquake-Brand New Headace

Old 03-29-2020, 09:42 AM
Twiztid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand New Earthquake-Brand New Headace

Hi everyone! I am brand new to the forums and RC Nitro! I just decided to get into nitro rc recently. I am very excited! First I bought a Traxxas T Maxx 3.3. I watched 4 days worth of videos while I waited for it to arrive. When it finally showed up I took my newfound knowledge outside and started breaking it in. It's freakin AWESOME! I overtightened my clutch and twisted my driveshaft on tank 6..... Lesson learned. I bought 4 replacements so I had spares and since then the thing has been a dream. It runs great and tears up anything I put in front of it.
I then took the wife out and let her try it and she fell instantly in love with nitro. She had to have a car so I went down to the hobby shop to find one for her. Before leaving we watched alot more videos I have to say that there is no shortage of rc vidoes on the internet. We didn't want to put her right into a $600 car because she is not a very good driver. We watched alot of vids on Redcat and also read some forums. I understand that you nitro rc pros don't like redcat and that's fine with me. My wife and I aren't pros so we don't mind that it is not a racer's dream. We just wanted an inexpensive car for her to learn on. Now I wish I would have thought about it more.
To start with, all the suspension was WAY out of wack. It seems to me that their company must have 0 quality control. My T Maxx did need a couple tiny adjustments but this Earthquake looked like a child put it together. I spent time checking all the screws and getting it dialed in and finally went outside. I reset the needles to what the factory SHOULD have had them set at (they were way off). Then I added fuel and pulled the pull start and she fired up like nothing. I was excited! I let it warm up and started getting ready for break in. Right away I noticed that the gear mesh was lose so I shut it down and corrected it. Then I fired it back up and started doing some short 25% throttle runs. Half way through the first tank I started hearing a light grinding noise and noticed that it seemed to be slipping. I then checked the slipper clutch but found that it was set correctly. Still grinding and slipping.
I took it inside to take a look before I caused more damage. I notice that if I set it down and try to lightly push it backwards it will make the grinding noise. I also noticed that if I hold the car still and turn the spur gear manually it will turn easily and makes a nasty grinding sound. My spur gear mess is good and it is not grinding there. it seems as if it is coming from the transmission. Can someone please help me diagnose my problem? I was very careful with this thing and barley gave it throttle at all. How could it be this damaged when it it brand new!?

Last edited by Twiztid; 03-29-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Twiztid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I can't wait to get Redcat on the phone. I am seriously disappointed in my purchase. When I bought my Traxxas is was set up for me to have a chance at succeeding. This Redcat Earthquake was set up to fail. By the time I got through my 3rd tank, my spur gear is wrecked, my brake disk is destroyed, and my nerves are shot. The only thing about this car that is good is the motor. I am honestly looking online right now for some other brand of car that I can mount this motor on. Don't ever buy one of these things.
The following users liked this post:
RustyUs (04-02-2020)