Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

New Member Redcar Racing Blackout Pro

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

New Member Redcar Racing Blackout Pro

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Techtalktoll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member Redcar Racing Blackout Pro

I am a new member with the above truck. I got into it because we built a racetrack with stand at our resort in Texas. Every other resort had a racetrack so we had to join the sport and get going on the fun too. Everybody other than me bought a Traxxas Slash but I decided on a Redcat Blackout (not a man with pockets full of money) and a whole bunch of parts as recommended by some of the more experienced racers. Did some homework and it arrived January first just as we got to Texas from Canada. Have had fun racing it for three months and now because of all the isolation am modifying it for grass racing. I took off the small wheels and cleaned the Texas earth out of them and drilled holes in the tires = I missed this one in my pre-homework. The new wheels are slightly larger diameter to clear the grass and I have added a sink drain filter above the fan and orange juice container to cover the internals and they work quite well. Had a problem with goose poop jamming the steering linkage but should figure that one out in a few days - without having all the geese over for dinner. The body is reenforced with shoe goop and drywall tape with rubber bungee pieces tie wrapped to the bumpers - along with styrofoam sm side bumpers which I will not need until racing again. Anyway it is a nice diversion given the isolation that we are in for awhile. Anybody else run a Blackout Pro ?
The following users liked this post:
pastorRedCatRC (05-16-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:42 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techtalktoll
I am a new member with the above truck. I got into it because we built a racetrack with stand at our resort in Texas. Every other resort had a racetrack so we had to join the sport and get going on the fun too. Everybody other than me bought a Traxxas Slash but I decided on a Redcat Blackout (not a man with pockets full of money) and a whole bunch of parts as recommended by some of the more experienced racers. Did some homework and it arrived January first just as we got to Texas from Canada. Have had fun racing it for three months and now because of all the isolation am modifying it for grass racing. I took off the small wheels and cleaned the Texas earth out of them and drilled holes in the tires = I missed this one in my pre-homework. The new wheels are slightly larger diameter to clear the grass and I have added a sink drain filter above the fan and orange juice container to cover the internals and they work quite well. Had a problem with goose poop jamming the steering linkage but should figure that one out in a few days - without having all the geese over for dinner. The body is reenforced with shoe goop and drywall tape with rubber bungee pieces tie wrapped to the bumpers - along with styrofoam sm side bumpers which I will not need until racing again. Anyway it is a nice diversion given the isolation that we are in for awhile. Anybody else run a Blackout Pro ?
My neighbor and I just got 2 of these.
What parts were recommended and what have you actually needed to replace?
You mention several modifications. Can you elaborate on these or provide links to where you picked them up?
  • sink drain filter
  • orange juice container
  • body reinforcement
  • side bumpers
Vince
Old 05-12-2020, 06:35 AM
Techtalktoll

Originally Posted by VinceHerman
My neighbor and I just got 2 of these.
What parts were recommended and what have you actually needed to replace?
You mention several modifications. Can you elaborate on these or provide links to where you picked them up?
  • sink drain filter
  • orange juice container
  • body reinforcement
  • side bumpers
Vince
I was recommended to buy the wheel bearings as these go on most vehicles after a year. I have replaced the spur gear and drive gear as this is a common problem that is not warrantied even though they are mostly misaligned. If bought at a local shop have them do it and then electric tape the spur cover along the top to prevent fine dirt from getting in the case. My rear differential had to be replaced because the bearing separated from the case on one side. The bolt at the bottom of the front shock tends to work itself loose on one side and should be replaced with a 24mm bolt with lock nut. Buy some stainless steel bolts as these are more durable. Also put a washer on the front side for protection. The sink drain is a stainless steel one that is slightly larger then the fan with silicon around the inside of the rim then remove the outside steel. I will make a YouTube video as the rest are hard to explain. One thing to mention is to drill small holes in the tires and cover the inside rim holes with electrical tape. My tire-rims more then doubled their weight after one month from these holes in the rim. I will show in the video how to clean them out. The orange juice container is the square one with round top and is good as a dust-dirt cover for most 10th scale sc trucks.

​​​​​
Old 05-12-2020, 07:56 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to the videos.
Sink Drain - is there a particular product you purchased? Is this an improvement in dirt filtering? Or improvement in airflow for cooling?
Old 05-12-2020, 06:25 PM
Techtalktoll

Originally Posted by VinceHerman
Looking forward to the videos.
Sink Drain - is there a particular product you purchased? Is this an improvement in dirt filtering? Or improvement in airflow for cooling?
The sink drain filter is stainless steel and can be had at any hardware store. It blocks the grass from getting in the fan and stopping the blade. This is very common and keeps many from racing on a grass surface even though this is much more fun then dirt and avoids a big cleanup of dirt out of the linkages. Just get a lawn mower and cut low to make a new course every week on your favorite grass berm.
The following users liked this post:
pastorRedCatRC (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 05:49 AM
pastorRedCatRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Out of the box into a stone into the closet

How hard is it to move everything to a new chassis?

Old 05-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Techtalktoll

A new chassis move would be a waste of time just like changing shocks. You will find that the choices of the manufacturer are usually better than you can make. I laugh at the upgrades like metal shocks and chassis as most plastics are more durable. Take the Slash - when it has a good crash then go home and fix the bent shock and broken steering arm. Blackout = just pop the steering arm linkage back together. Some upgrades are good - but some are there just so you pay for more parts which is the biggest money maker for a hobby shop. At least Redcar gets you a new part in two days and you are doing more than looking at the next race. Ever noticed the hobby shop van parked outside a race with lots of parts = tells you something doesn't it🤔
Old 05-16-2020, 03:43 PM
pastorRedCatRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techtalktoll
A new chassis move would be a waste of time just like changing shocks. You will find that the choices of the manufacturer are usually better than you can make. I laugh at the upgrades like metal shocks and chassis as most plastics are more durable. Take the Slash - when it has a good crash then go home and fix the bent shock and broken steering arm. Blackout = just pop the steering arm linkage back together. Some upgrades are good - but some are there just so you pay for more parts which is the biggest money maker for a hobby shop. At least Redcar gets you a new part in two days and you are doing more than looking at the next race. Ever noticed the hobby shop van parked outside a race with lots of parts = tells you something doesn't it🤔
i see thank you! I ordered the replacement chassis and I’ll do the replacement I’ll use it as a training exercise.