Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT??

I like that , they rust because they came from China ?? well he did say maybe . Hey , those are tech type answers Redcat has been giving !! Is Entity actually Darin under cover ?? [sm=idea.gif]
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM
ehroof

LOL
Old 04-23-2006, 10:50 PM
payaso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you guys keep funneling $$$ into this guys pocket? My friend has one with less than a half gallon on it, and it's the biggest turd on wheels I've seen.

I know the start up RTR price is cheap with them, but come on. You get what you pay for. Once you get 2 gallons through a redcat, you'll have surpassed said cheap price, and will be in the neighborhood of what reputable ones cost.. Except you'll still have a redcat.

Cut your losses, and scrap your $200 turd before it's a $650 turd

silla
Old 04-23-2006, 11:17 PM
AJsToyz

Well, its a 215.00 turd at the moment. With alot of loctite I and about 13.00 worth of aluminum it will do what I want. If not , it'll be a 215.00 show car, I'll keep it waxed up good !
Old 04-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Kemo

If entity was Darin under cover, this company would have died long ago... but notice... STILL no reply from Darin to explain or even help this situation. Speaks a lot for the company, and that hurts a company...

Example, i talked to a dealer here, asking about "redcat ATV's". They say they get more hours on them in the service department than they do riding. food for thought.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:43 PM
unclezesta
My Feedback: (1)

yeah, theyre deffinately hurting themselves. my little brother was going to get one, but i wont let him now. ill tell him to get something worth it
Old 04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
ehroof

he did reply to me in the official truck forum and he pm'd me. He said he would personally take care of it when he come back from his trip, i will give him the benefit since he replace my whole radio system and no cost (within the 30 days). i would reccomend the truck since it took at least 20 tanks before the gear stripped, this i can live with, the tornado xp is a different story, will see what he does when he gets back. i posted this yesterday but is was erased with the glitch the forum had last night. Get the truck or single speed tornado xp, i would stay away from the 2 speed xp though, unless they upgrade the gears.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Dirty_J

Well guys.....finally got a buddy of mine who I didn't know was into RC racing to get my Volcano all dialed in and what not. Turns out my clutch spring was broke. The little hooked end had broken off causing the truck to wanna take off at 30 mph when it was supposed to be idling. For the time being he stretched out the spring just enough so that he could hook one end and make it hold until I get my new parts in. So earlier this evening we meet up at a parking lot and he brings his Team Associated Monster GT with a .26 engine in it and we get to messing around. The Volcano gave his truck a run for its money......UNTIL.......(drum roll please!!!!) my gears stripped out!!!!!! I think I went through 2 1/2 maybe 3 tanks when that happened. DAMN! Redcat.....can we get some steel spur gears or something please?!!!! The funny thing about it all is that I happened to see this topic last night and got to talking to my friend about it-stripped gears-and when I was on my way to meet him I had it in my mind that the gears WERE going to strip out. And sure enough....THEY DID!!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:50 AM
Crash from Oz

G'day everyone. I have a HiSpeed Warhead 1/10, which is a Redcat in the U.S.

I to have had the same problems with gears and clutch springs. Thankfully the guy who sells them here also has an intrest in R/C and helps out the best he can.

He has sourced upgraded replacement 2 speed gears boxes and an upgraded clutch and spring. Ever since I got those put in I haven't had a problem and they only cost me and extra $5 aussie dollars more than the standard parts. I also put alloy front steering knuckles on mine. the ones that fit are for the HPI NMT. I got the GPM racing products part SN4021 and they fit exactly and bearings of course.

Here is the web link to the Australian forum. You might be able to gain some useful information. The guy who runs the forum is the distributor of the buggies.

http://plaighobbies.forumsplace.com/index.html

Hope it helps some.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Popper252

Hey crash, you happen to know the specific thread where you all discussed the new gears? Or if you know what parts they are that he used for the upgrade could you post them here? I know a lot of us here would love to get our hands on some better made gears. Thanks buddy.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Crash from Oz

Hey Popper252, here is the link to the parts site and forum topics.

http://www.plaig.com.au/index2.htm

On the left select Atomic Buggy spares.

Look at the PLAIG DESIGNED UPGRADE PARTS at the top. The parts I used were 02048PL Modified Engine Clutch & Spring and
06034PL Modified Complete 2-speed Gearbox.

This is the link for the 1/10 Atomic Warhead Buggy. There are quite a few posts and all to do with problems and fixing them. Just look for gears, gear stripping etc.
http://plaighobbies.forumsplace.com/forum-2.html

Also here is the technical post section. There is some good info on the gears and how to replace and fitand properly adjust the gears.
http://plaighobbies.forumsplace.com/forum-14.html

If your into the 1/10 Trucks, in the main forum list there is a section on those and replacement parts and upgrades. A few of the guys have put the upgraded gear box into the trucks and turned them ito 2 speed trucks.

Hope it helps.

If I can assist anymore, just let me know.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Popper252

What exactly is modified on the new gear box? I see it says that there is a new slipper clutch but are the gears themselves actually any different? Also the dealer on there, trev i think, said he had metal transmission gears on his car. If that is true do you think you could find out what gears he's using? Thanks a lot for all the help man.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:32 PM
TopSpeedToys

Hey Crash, I found that same forum a few days ago and posted my website and offered my help and services.
Some mod got p-o'd for no reason, said the person that staeted the forum (same guy from the links you posted) needs the money.
Started calling me an @-hole and telling people not to buy from me. I asked what his problem was and why
he treated me like that but then they just banned me.

Whatever........... wahhh! I got banned wahhh!!!

Mark

Old 04-26-2006, 06:40 PM
ehroof

mark, your from the usa and that is an australian forum, you got it mate?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:42 PM
TopSpeedToys

I don't have a problem helping Crash M8

Old 04-26-2006, 06:43 PM
ehroof

LOL
Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Crash from Oz

Hi All, I don't know if he runs metal gears, but there have been a couple fo people who have tried it but they found that the metal gear and the alloy bell gear didn't get a long to well. They both need to be of a similar hardness of metal to survive each other.

The gear box has a different slipper clutch and a different type of plastic gears. As for him needing the money I can't say. I only know what I know from the experiences I have had.

He helped me get things running and running well and it didn't cost me very much.
What I do know is that my gear box has held together along with the clutch for 5 months now, that's about 4 months, 3 weeks and six days longer than the originals and he charges half the price for parts as the other part supplier does in Australia.

Sorry you had a bad experience with someone off the forum Mark, my personal opinion is that we are on forums to help each other out and share what we have learnt and to try and save others from the same grief.

I order stuff from the U.S all the time, so I'm happy to buy from who ever has what I need, when I need it and if it isat a price I'm happy to pay.
I'm buying a new nitro r/c soon and it's between a local shop and tower hobbies and by thelooks of things tower hobbies will be cheaper for me including the postage and the fact the Aust $ with worth only 72 cents in the U.S.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:45 PM
fuegoboy

hey buddy im right there with you iv had my volcano stx for about 2 weeks and i have stripped out 2 gears already!!!!!
Does any one out there now someone that sells metle spur gears???
Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 PM
DiTi

I ran through my volcano a little more than 2 quarts and the gear stripped... I was expecting it to happen after the fuss in this forum, I should have ordered them ahead of time :P
are 2 quarts a logical amount of running time for the gears to strip or not?
it would help me to know because after the first quart I messed with the engines position and I was wondering what effect it would have.
what is a good way to place the cluch bell well alligned with the gear? how much space should the teeth have between them?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 PM
ehroof

put a piece of paper(looseleaf) between the gears, this is rule of thumb for meshing them. As far as stripping a spur gear, i have many cars and only on one or two, usually electric i strip the spur gears once in a blue moon. There is definately a problem with them stripping, i dont think its the quality of plastic i think its the clutch bell. look at yours and see if there are any burrs or rough spots on the gears. You should make sure the engine is square (straight), you can tell by looking at the gears, looking from the top, they should look straight and even.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:09 AM
cartronicshn

i agree on the mesh adjustment, i'am not totally sold about the quality on the gears, i had the volcano for over 4 months ran almost 2 gallons of fuel 20% and 30%, and when i removed the trannny for a 2 speed the original was in perfect condition, no sign of heavy wear. I also agree on the clutchbell material just being bad, also the cluthc spring just plain suck[:'(]
Old 04-30-2006, 11:28 AM
crzymechanic

YO- A TANK AND 1/2- 1ST GEAR IS GONE!!!!!!!! i believe the idle is too high for factory setting, especially for the break in set up.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM
jackkpl

I have stripped 3 spur's in like 2 weeks time. Today i had some heavy crash and after taking everything apart i noticed that engine mount is loose (the thing that is betwen engine and chassis). I tightened all the screws and positioned engine to fit perfectly (i am on 2nd gear again ). After 15-20 minutes of non-stop full throttle/full brake i didnt notice any teeth wearing. I think there are 2 reasons for stripping gears :
If you have lost some teeth it is definetely garbage getting between teeth.
If you have "shortened" teeth on a spur it means engine is not positioned correctly.
My advice is to shorten the gap until u see clutch bell is not moving freely. Then back to last "good" state and yo are done.

http://mieszkancy.ds.pg.gda.pl/~jimi...collection.jpg
Old 05-14-2006, 09:41 PM
trevplaig

Hi Guys,

I am Trev the owner of Plaig RC Hobbies. I am still working on many upgrades and I can supply them to anywhere in the world. My forum is only 2 months old but we have already covered alot of topics and we have found that any questions are being answered very promptly and our members are getting alot more use out of their cars as a result. I would also like to explain why I banned TopSpeedToys, he came onto our forum and advertised his parts in every section of the website without asking permission or contributing to the site. I found it to be quite rude and when I deleted his posts he came back the next day and did it all again. So I banned him, members on my forum don't want to sift through pages of spam to find what they are looking for. Anyone is welcome to join up and contribute to the forum, it is not there as a fund raiser, it is to help all of my customers and organise meetings etc. Hope to see you guys there!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Noob2Nitro

Um, Trevpaig,

I think it's kinda hypocritical of you to come here and brag about banning a forum member of ours for advertising on your forum. You are doing the same thing here, are you not? Also, I hardly believe that your members had to sift through "pages of spam" caused by him.

This forum here, we welcome ALL suppliers and manufactures that can bring us parts.

Example, I buy from TST (topspeedtoys.com and redcatracing.com.) If they don't have a part I need I might come to you but, bashing a member here does not look good. Just some advice. Then accusing them of the same thing you did here is almost entertaining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.