Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM
wlind05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT??

Has anyone noticed if their spru gearson the volcano sv are not true, As in they wobble when they spin? I've tried talking to redcat raceing but i get more done talking to my wall!!!![:@]
Old 04-03-2009, 10:47 PM
chief19fs

Default RE: REDCAT WHY DO THE GEARS STRIP OUT?? BIG NEWS ADDED PAGE 5!!!

why do gears strip out cause rc car is poorly meade, da stock set up they have is clutch bell is too short or you can say motor sit too far away and needs too be moved forward legth wise of rc car. Da 2 speed gears sits half way on clutch bell teeth that's why they keep striping fellas. when i pulled rc tornado bb out box i broke car in correctly and then when i started to have fun like 10 tank of fuel i started to here noise then i seen teeth where strip on 2 gear only so i bought hole new 2 speed set up put it in and runs fine but i look at my rc car to night to see what could cause teeth to strip and its da car poorly mead and they need longer clutch bell so teeth on gears sit all da way on clutch bell util they fix that or they make new clutch bell teeth will probly continue to strip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so i feel ever bodys pain on this, they need to fix it or they going to loose alot of bizz
Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: wlind05

Has anyone noticed if their spru gearson the volcano sv are not true, As in they wobble when they spin? I've tried talking to redcat raceing but i get more done talking to my wall!!!![:@]
It is the clutchbell that is more to blame than anything else. With an HPI clutchbell, and even an OS .18CVR, the gears last just fine in ThunderbirdJunkie's opinion.

You're not paying much for the car, and there are reasons the car is cheaper than comparable models, such as the HPI Nitro MT2 and the Nitro Stampede.

Aside from the clutchbell, the rest of the car is actually quite a nice piece.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:44 AM
chevyderek72

ORIGINAL: wlind05

Ya its cause the slipper clutch has a spring on it, and the spring has the end where it makes the spur sit a little off. But it doesnt hurt anything.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:13 PM
RCToysNh

Several things. Gear mesh needs to be set. Also if jumping or getting air at all, back off of throttle before it hits the ground, the shock of high revs and sudden impact can cause the gears to strip. Set the slipper a little looser.
We also have metal gear sets for the volcano if you want them email or pm us.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:53 PM
chief19fs

Yes i do where do i get them from let me no asap please and thanks for info on rc car
Old 04-04-2009, 06:16 PM
perhamrocks

there are no metal gears for the two speed, just the single speed, and not the direct drive, it's for the one that comes stock in the volcano sv

[link=http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/Redcat-Parts/08033t]Steel tranny gear upgrade[/link]
that's the link for the steel gear, then you would have to buy the single speed tranny. You could get the direct drive with 13 tooth clutchbell for $10 more then the metal gears alone
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
RakkiSusanowa

woooow i didnt know there was this much of a problem with the gears, i've had to replace the gearbox 5 times because of this. i thought it was just my luck lol, its a pain because im a student and have no money at all lol lucky got an ntc3 aswell and thats sweet untill i crash it
Old 04-29-2009, 03:13 AM
chevyderek72

Stripping the spur is only caused by bad meshing.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:34 AM
Chochfish20

Default Glad someone is saying something!

I have 2 redcat cars and I just happen to be waiting on another gear now. I'm tired of fixing gears on these things they spend more time sitting there than running. I would like to be able to get upgrdeed parts for these things, but I guess where's the money in that.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:58 AM
bigbear440

Hi, We don't have a fuel buggy but we do have the redcat volcano epx pro electric brushed motor and no matter what we do our gears also keep stripping out. We've tried to align the gears perfect with little backlash as some is needed and still stripped gears. So answers would be a good thing!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:37 AM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Volcano and a Tornado, but brushless, and think RedCat is under-rated. Having said that, I guess gears can be a problem. I used my Volcano in my yard in the grass and never had any problems. The other day, I took it out to a school and it was great in the parking lot. I then got onto a service road and, when I turned it around, it went into the grass on the side of the road. I goosed it to get out of the grass and it stripped the pinion gear. Both the spur and pinion are steel. I went to a local hobby shop and got another steel pinion. It's made by Redcat and is steel, but I don't see it when I look on their site (?). They cut it out of the bag it came in to see if it matched, so, I didn't have the tag to take with me. When I called and asked if they could give me the item number, they said it was H 182. The guy at the shop told me to consider going back to a plastic spur and a brass pinion. I happen to think it was easier to replace the pinion rather than taking 1/2 the truck apart to replace the spur, unless I'm looking at it wrong.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:36 AM
bigbear440

Default Stripped gears

I hear ya brother. I buy a lot of my parts off of Amazon or Ebay as we don't have a local hobby shop nearby us. I have run ours both ways or should I say my son has run it both ways (brass/plastic-steel/steel) and yes we have stripped them both out also. I find alignment to be a big help, but it's hard to keep the small pebbles from getting stuck in between the gears. I think that is the biggest culprit and not so much the gears. If you can seal the area where the spur and pinion are I think that the gears would last much longer. I am the mechanic on all my son's rc equipment and it helps as I have a lot of patience when it comes to that kind of thing. Marty
Old 08-14-2020, 09:05 AM
kodak_jack

Originally Posted by bigbear440
I hear ya brother. I buy a lot of my parts off of Amazon or Ebay as we don't have a local hobby shop nearby us. I have run ours both ways or should I say my son has run it both ways (brass/plastic-steel/steel) and yes we have stripped them both out also. I find alignment to be a big help, but it's hard to keep the small pebbles from getting stuck in between the gears. I think that is the biggest culprit and not so much the gears. If you can seal the area where the spur and pinion are I think that the gears would last much longer. I am the mechanic on all my son's rc equipment and it helps as I have a lot of patience when it comes to that kind of thing. Marty
I don’t think I want to constantly replace a plastic spur gear, as I mentioned. Have you ever come across hardened gears! I also have a Slash 4x4 and the selection of gears is crazy!
Old 08-14-2020, 09:24 AM
bigbear440

I haven't come across any hardened gears, but you can harden your own gears with the heat and oil quench method. Heat your gears one at a time so they are red hot (not melting red hot) and grab them with needle nose or suitable type pliers and drop gear in motor oil to cool. Then repeat the process and you will then have hardened steel gears. To tell you the truth I have never tried that, the only draw back is that your gears may remain in good shape but you might bend other things like motor shaft or differential shaft. But it might be a good idea! Tell me how it goes as I still have a few more gears to go through on my boy's volcano before ordering more and then I just might try that idea! Marty
Old 08-14-2020, 10:57 AM
kodak_jack

Originally Posted by bigbear440
I haven't come across any hardened gears, but you can harden your own gears with the heat and oil quench method. Heat your gears one at a time so they are red hot (not melting red hot) and grab them with needle nose or suitable type pliers and drop gear in motor oil to cool. Then repeat the process and you will then have hardened steel gears. To tell you the truth I have never tried that, the only draw back is that your gears may remain in good shape but you might bend other things like motor shaft or differential shaft. But it might be a good idea! Tell me how it goes as I still have a few more gears to go through on my boy's volcano before ordering more and then I just might try that idea! Marty
We’ll have to see how it goes. I don’t beat on it too hard. How about the steering? I bought the Volcano used and right out of the box, the steering was jammed and wouldn’t move at all. I had to back off the adjusting nut and start from scratch to get it to steer smoothly. It was not a typical servo problem, it was the servo saver.