Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Helping family - washers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:27 AM
MiniCwik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helping family - washers?

Was helping my bro-in-law install the HPI 17t racing clutch bell on Friday and we came across a problem, I am hoping someone can help us with the answer to get him back on the road soon ...

We came to the conclusion that he was missing one of the washers that is needed when installing the clutch bell and the bearings. He only had three, while I had four, and without the fourth there is (forward and backward) play in the clutch bell. Not wanting to run it like this, he went to several local hardware stores in search of a washer and no one has one that thin.

The one's he has bought are too thick and cause things to tighten up too much, we played with the order of them several times but have come to the conclusion he needs another washer.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased? Perhaps their size too?

I found these - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM693&P=M will they work?

I also saw that some online stores that sell the HPI 17t racing clutch bell include bearings, do these come with the washers as well?

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Helping family - washers?

the clutch bells only include the bearings, no washers, there is a thread about the clutch bell washers etc in the faq thread, i could swear mine only came with 3 washers too.

the first picture is too small, the second one is bigger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44665.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	604046  
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 AM
MiniCwik

Thanks for the info about the bearings no washers.

I'd hate to take mine apart again just to verify what mine had ... but I swear mine had four (as he pointed that out to me when I went to replace my spring the first time), although I do only see three in the pic above and have had it saved in a larger size for reference.

Thanks for adding the larger one, I also want to mention that ours are single speed.

With only three washers, his HPI 17t clutch bell moved back and forth when tightened down all the way ... with the same three washers, his stock clutch bell does not have back and forth play in it. The HPI one seems deeper on the inside where the bearing goes and is why I believe he needs another washer.

Any thoughts on where I can order these washers?

Looking on Clermont's site, are these it? http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/Detail?no=55
Old 01-22-2007, 10:23 AM
ehroof

i think those are rubber o rings for behind the dogbones. I would say go to your lhs or hardware store with one and let them match it up of eliminate one and put the thicker one.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:31 AM
MiniCwik

I actually tried to eliminate one and use the thicker one, but it seems that the bearings don't like to be right up against the HPI cluth bell housing, I mean it would spin, but very slowly once it was all snugged up and it wasn't overtightened. It seems like the stock washers are smooth on both sides and even concaved slightly.

I guess our best bet would be to take a caliper or something and measure them, then find once of the same size. I really think these are it - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM693&P=M but of course I don't want to pay s/h to wait on some washers we should be able to get locally.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
{GBI}Harryball

MiniCwik, try a eletronic supply house. The will have it. I know that when mine were messed up i went to fultons here in lansing mi. They had the washers.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
ehroof

email dennis at clermont, maybe he would know exactly what ones are what.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:58 AM
MiniCwik

Thanks to you both, I'll definitely check into an electrical supply house and email Dennis as well to see.

Just talked to my bro-in-law and we agreed it would be best for him to take it to work and check the sizes with a measuring caliper. That way we'll know the exact size he needs.

Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
MiniCwik

Okay, my bro-in-law measured the stock washer yesterday and got a size of (see attached).

The one's here - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXM693&P=K is the exact same size, so I searched and my LHS actually carries them, called and they had 2 in stock. Went and picked a bag up and will hopefully test it all out soon.

Once we do, I'll post up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31488.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	604959  
Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
rclynx

Just in case you want to know after the snap ring over the clutch pads there are 2 flat washers-a bearing-a bearing-a single flat washer-a lock washer and then your screwed........oops I mean you put in the screw (with blue threadlock) unless you never used threadlock and never had a problem. I've never had a problem either but I've been using locktite for over 40 years and been putting screws nuts and bolts back in Professionally for 45 years. You call it like you see it my friend